Feb. 23, New York (R) vs Montreal, 7:00 PM

dlbalr

The Rangers are done playing today. No movement whatsoever.

Please oh please tell me Torts has a press conference after the game.

He'll say both teams played like crap again, maybe we got lucky this time?

I had no choice but to laugh when Girardi was down and out, 5-on-2 and we managed to clear the puck out of the zone ourselves. Aren't we a nice helpful team? FFS.

If you didn't watch Biron 30 seconds after he was ran in to, you'd think Moen shanked him on the way. What a faker.

He'll say both teams played like crap again, maybe we got lucky this time?

I had no choice but to laugh when Girardi was down and out, 5-on-2 and we managed to clear the puck out of the zone ourselves. Aren't we a nice helpful team? FFS.

If you didn't watch Biron 30 seconds after he was ran in to, you'd think Moen shanked him on the way. What a faker.

I felt like we had a 3-0 lead and a safe win. Why not just stop playing and let the injured player be brought off the ice.

• Upvote 2

I felt like we had a 3-0 lead and a safe win. Why not just stop playing and let the injured player be brought off the ice.

A classy thought, but it's a competitive game... I understand if the sharks smelled blood and wanted to score.

seems Cole's goal is listed as unassisted - replays look like assists should be granted. anyone know anything about this?

Gilroy set up the shot so no assists is probably the correct call (I could have used the extra assist for Eller in a pool though).

By the end of the game I felt bad for the Rangers. No Del Zotto, McDonagh goes down, Girardi goes down, Staal was playing sick (and clearly wasn't himself). They ended the night with Anton Stralman as their best healthy defenceman. Eeep. I wonder if Tortorella will have a rant in his presser, I'm beginning to get the suspicion it may be his last (or really close to it).

• Upvote 1

Looking at the ice time numbers, Gionta led the way for Montreal forwards. In second, 9 seconds back? Brandon Prust, who played 18:23. I know he was just slotted into Bourque's spot but I think that's a bit much.

I'm really happy with the defensive breakdown though, only two players over 20 minutes (Markov - 23:27 and Subban - 21:40). Everyone else played 18 minutes or better (Gorges was 17:56 but that's close enough).

I loved Prust tonight. I also thought Diaz had a great game. I love the fact that when he gets the puck off he hitsmthe net and sets up the scramble.

Eller and Chucky were great all night long. If Eller can keep up the effort he will displace DD and be up there with Pleks.

Giona and Cole are still struggling (goal aside). Armstrong is still useless.

Price.... Just the usual... :)

The Rags are in serious trouble. They have no defence to speak of. We on the other hand have a very good team(when they want to be) heavy on team, no stars just a team. Prust was THE off season signing in the last number of years. Still dont have any appreciation for Armstrong. Eller on the other hand is really beginning to excite me. Great game. Patches may get suspended for the Mcdonough hit. We have to keep out heads about us and continue to play the system that MT seems to have installed successfully. great game :hyper::habslogo:

Man, we laid a whuppin' on their asses. This was one of those games - Lord knows the Habs have had a few - where everybody and his dog seems to get hurt.

I don't know if they'll seek a suspension on the MaxPac hit, but personally I was glad to see him lay MacDonagh out after what he did to both MaxPac and - especially - Prust. Too often in the past the Habs would have just allowed crap like that to go unpunished, or else get scored on during the ensuing penalty. Instead, they did exactly what winning teams do: exact vengeance for unpenalized abuses, then kill off the penalty. A page right out of the Bruins' book. I'm pretty sure teams are starting to figure out that the days of pushing around ye Habs with impunity are over.

Incidentally, Carey Price is just a beast. A masterful performance from a superb goalie. To think he's only 25...'tending like that gives us an automatic advantage going into most games. Enjoy a monster goalie in his prime, it's a thing of beauty.

EDIT: Markov is really struggling by his standards. But PK played a particularly strong game, I thought. He's like a tank, so hard to knock off the puck. And Diaz continues to roll, which is key.

• Upvote 1

The hit on McDonagh made me smile. Now I'm glad we traded him. Tool!

It probably won't make you smile when patches is suspended for five games. Never good to see a great and clean player like that get hurt. #Giveyourheadashake.

• Upvote 1

It probably won't make you smile when patches is suspended for five games. Never good to see a great and clean player like that get hurt. #Giveyourheadashake.

I doubt that long. I'm, guessing two games. Repeat offender, malicious intent but seeing as it was retribution, Shanahan will be a bit soft on him.

I didnt think the hit was that bad, but McD turned. I don't think it was a head shot, just a hit from behind, no worse then the one he took from McD.

That said, I predict two games, since we play Ottawa and Toronto....they need to make sure we are short playing the leafs...

Like I said before - McDo was wreaking havoc on our guys, and his play on Prust was in no way 'clean,' basically scraping his face along the boards. Since McDo went totally unpenalized for this, MaxPac did what winning teams do, which is send an unmistakable message that if you play that way against us, you will PAY. Considering the crap the NHL routinely allows - not least, Chara's attempt to cripple Pacioretty for life, or Weber's slamming of Zetterberg's face into the glass - if MaxPac gets more than two games for this, something is seriously awry.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does get more. The habs always seemed to get screwed over. Bettman doesn't have the same relationship with molson, like he does with Jacobs and Snider.

Like I said before - McDo was wreaking havoc on our guys, and his play on Prust was in no way 'clean,' basically scraping his face along the boards. Since McDo went totally unpenalized for this, MaxPac did what winning teams do, which is send an unmistakable message that if you play that way against us, you will PAY. Considering the crap the NHL routinely allows - not least, Chara's attempt to cripple Pacioretty for life, or Weber's slamming of Zetterberg's face into the glass - if MaxPac gets more than two games for this, something is seriously awry.

The 2 refs on the ice should be pulled into a suspension hearing as well. If they didn't "miss" the boarding on Prust or the run from behind on Patches just before that, Patches would of never did this to McDonagh.

The league has been pushing for decades to take policing away from the players and put it in the hands of officials and the league. This is a clear cut case of why that will never truly work. McDonagh got away with 2 bad calls, that should have been called, borderline suspendable. Instead it wasn't called and seeing now he would never of had any recourse for his actions, Patches did the right thing. Shows how far this league has spiraled downwards in "player safety."

I thought the hit was very borderline. It wasn't an attempt to injure but it was meant to have a message sent. And send it he did. I have seen a lot worse not get called. Looks like a hockey play gone bad to me. Isn't that what they said when Chara tried to kill patches? Of course we will get screwed. Need a B on the shirt to be able to hit people.

Patches simply finished a check on a guy with the puck. He didnt jump at him or target the head. McD looked right at him and then turned his back. If he simply braced, it would be a solid body check and nothing more. Did Patches want to hit him...sure. Did he try to make an illegal hit, no.

If they want to judge on the results, then give him a game for not letting up and McD bleeding, but more is just nonsense, imo. There is a good case for no suspension given the spin move McD made and the fact that Patches didnt target the head or leave his feet.

Still, I predict two games given that the league was embarrassed by the Chara incident and blames the Habs and Molsen for speaking up.

Look, if it's 'boarding,' then it's not a hockey play. MaxPac should get suspended - but my point is it should be a short suspension (1-2 games) at best, because the NHL routinely allows worse to transpire without consequences of any kind.

Turd Burglar is 100% correct that the real cause was negligent refereeing on McD's earlier borderline hits. If they call even one of those hits, the odds are Patches doesn't feel the need to destroy McDonagh. As long as the NHL continues vacillating on player safety (both in the way games are called, and in the way supplemental discipline is enforced) teams will have no choice but to take the law into their hands. Failing to do so makes you suckers, getting rubbed out left and right by vicious borderline hits.

I totally support what Patches did under the circumstances. But in a league that made sense it would be a suspendable offence.

Patches simply finished a check on a guy with the puck. He didnt jump at him or target the head. McD looked right at him and then turned his back. If he simply braced, it would be a solid body check and nothing more. Did Patches want to hit him...sure. Did he try to make an illegal hit, no.

If they want to judge on the results, then give him a game for not letting up and McD bleeding, but more is just nonsense, imo. There is a good case for no suspension given the spin move McD made and the fact that Patches didnt target the head or leave his feet.

Still, I predict two games given that the league was embarrassed by the Chara incident and blames the Habs and Molsen for speaking up.

Both of Pacioretty's skates left the ice while hitting...