2015 Draft Weekend

dlbalr

There wasn't a whole lot of trades at the draft itself though. No one really shed salary. The O'Reilly deal was a hockey move, not a salary one (and the Habs didn't have two former top-12 picks to move there) and the only other players who moved were Griffin Reinhart and Kyle Palmeiri, not game changers by any stretch.

I think the salary-shedding trades are coming tomorrow - X player for Y pick. There should be quite a few of those. It was reported earlier that teams looking to move their 2nd could get a better player than usual in return.

I think the bruins moves were salary dumps. Glad to see Lucic gone - despite his ineffective against us the past year or so. Also glad to see the other major piece from the Kessel trade wasted away.

Not sure this is the right spot but does anyone know wtf is going on with griffin reinhart? His draft saw 8 D-men taken in the top 10! is he just about a BUST or just slow developing? What should oiler fans be expecting?

There wasn't a whole lot of trades at the draft itself though. No one really shed salary. The O'Reilly deal was a hockey move, not a salary one (and the Habs didn't have two former top-12 picks to move there) and the only other players who moved were Griffin Reinhart and Kyle Palmeiri, not game changers by any stretch.

I think the salary-shedding trades are coming tomorrow - X player for Y pick. There should be quite a few of those. It was reported earlier that teams looking to move their 2nd could get a better player than usual in return.

Hope you are right. Picking late and armed with only a handful of picks makes for a very pedestrian draft year. I have no problem with giving picks away for the right players, but I wish MB would pay more attention to recovering picks so we don't put the franchise into inertness this time of year. Give Timmins the tools to do his magic. Don't tie his hands behind his back.

A few years ago I was sitting here and wishing for Oliver Ekman-Larsson. He was outstanding in the Swedish second league, the Allsvenska. He was selected long before we could get him, but still...

Just got up, and start reading about last night draft. I had hopes that Oliver Kylington would be selectable when Habs turn came. He was. But passed on. The whole first round. I saw him play twice last year. And this guy is something special.

He was ranked 1st midseason! I wouldn't have been surprised if he would have been taken 3rd overall!

Not sure this is the right spot but does anyone know wtf is going on with griffin reinhart? His draft saw 8 D-men taken in the top 10! is he just about a BUST or just slow developing? What should oiler fans be expecting?

He's approaching bust territory relative to where he was drafted. If he pans out, he'll be a decent second pairing defenceman. That's not worthy of a fourth overall pick though. But, Edmonton needs young D with a bit of upside so it's a reasonable gamble.

A few years ago I was sitting here and wishing for Oliver Ekman-Larsson. He was outstanding in the Swedish second league, the Allsvenska. He was selected long before we could get him, but still...

Just got up, and start reading about last night draft. I had hopes that Oliver Kylington would be selectable when Habs turn came. He was. But passed on. The whole first round. I saw him play twice last year. And this guy is something special.

He was ranked 1st midseason! I wouldn't have been surprised if he would have been taken 3rd overall!

There are teams that have Kylington on their do not draft list so I wouldn't be shocked if he slips a bit more before finally getting picked. He did something to scare the scouts off this past year...

No one traded 2 seconds for a 1st; but Columbus traded a 2nd (34th) & 3rd (68th) to Leafs to move up to 29th.

Yup asper normal still will be some good looking left overs going in 2nd/3rd round like;

Kylington, Harkins, Bittner, Carlo, SIgenthaler, Roy, Dunn, Sprong, Dermott, Bracco, Vande Sompel, Kovacs, Yan, Meloche, Cernak...

Tampa (33, 44, 64, 72), Bruins (37, 45, 52, 75), Leafs (34, 61, 65, 68) will be busiest teams early today. Which kinda sucks with all being in the East (and Tampa is already deep enough).

Why would they have Kylington on their "do-not-draft-list"?

If it is because he's unpolished, they're right, but that's what the draft is all about? Are scouts really afraid of players that's not pro by the age of 18?

Why would they have Kylington on their "do-not-draft-list"?

If it is because he's unpolished, they're right, but that's what the draft is all about? Are scouts really afraid of players that's not pro by the age of 18?

They don't care that he wasn't in the top men's league. Lots of guys get drafted out of the Allsvenskan or the junior league. And, all North American selections are amateur, not pro.

Skimming through the various draft guides, I see a lot of concerns about decision making and hockey IQ. In other words, he has the skills but not the smarts to be a good defenceman in the eyes of some scouts. He sounds like a boom or bust type of selection and not many of those go high anymore.

SO, 26th pick of 3rd round...who will be left for Timmins to grab?

A few in that range may be 'fine', these are few McKeens has around there;

At 87th- 6'1 215lb rugged RW, Seattle Keegan Kolesar 19g 38pts 85pims

86- Mathieu Joseph; RW Saint John, 6' 165lber, 21g 42pts 59gms

88- Justin Lemcke; D Bellville, 6'2 200lb, defensive d-man

or at 89 they have another Thunderbird Ethan Bear, 5'11 200lb d-man; played U-18 for Canada, 13g but 'good defender'.

Nothing spectacular, intriguing but longs-shots for sure with pick 87; rated as 0.18 probability to play 200 games in NHL. SO basically 1 in 5.55555 kids will make it.

But still hope that a quality kid like Hudon, Gregoire, Gallagher, Markov will be found. :pray:

Dunn to Blues, seems like a nice pick.at 56.

Should Habs trade a 2016 pick to move up?

If there was someone they really wanted, that MIN 2nd next year they have could have been a bargaining chip. The fact they haven't used it yet suggests they're not that interested in doing so. I'd be all for trying to move up to get Novak or Kylington though.

And there goes Kylington at 60...Calgary traded up to get him.

They did for Lernout and Timmins must be getting anxious sitting there watching kids being plucked off his list.

Kylington gone at 60 to Flames, darn!