Habs acquire Mike Weaver

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24

I've seen Mike Weaver play 30-40 times, the best way I can describe him is that he's another Gorges. He's a useful piece at a cheap price.

I was going to ask you what you thought about Weaver

all this trade means to me is that the staff and organization are not sold on Tinordi or Beaulieu down the home stretch, both will finish off the season in Hamilton, and Murray - Weaver fill the bottom pairing,

unless there is more to come...

exactly my thinking. And with Drewiske being sent down, this is a right D depth replacement for Diaz. I think this settles this years changes on defense. With Bouillon and Weaver not returning,.. don't know why it reminds me of Sopel and Mara ?!

Now if only we could get a physical top 9 RW with some scoring for Moen and/or Bourque. That would do it for me this year.

I was going to ask you what you thought about Weaver

He's not all bad. He's a hustler, blocks tons of shots/hits, plays the PK, and plays physically. He definitely has more on the ball that Drewiske, I think he's going to be on the roster pushing someone out, where Drewiske was just a depth guy. I look at this deal as an extension of the Diaz trade, Weise and Weaver for Diaz and a fifth.

MB, for all my criticisms, has done an excellent job of adding character to the lineup.

He's not all bad. He's a hustler, blocks tons of shots/hits, plays the PK, and plays physically. He definitely has more on the ball that Drewiske, I think he's going to be on the roster pushing someone out, where Drewiske was just a depth guy. I look at this deal as an extension of the Diaz trade, Weise and Weaver for Diaz and a fifth.

MB, for all my criticisms, has done an excellent job of adding character to the lineup.

True, but at this point I'd rather he added more skill to the lineup...

The reality is that MB hasn't taken any serious risks yet. He makes small moves with low end talent. Probably his biggest risk was bringing in Briere, but that just cost money.

He doesn't seem to be interested in trading top players. Boston has made some big moves over the years to make themselves a contender. It can be risky and lead to failure as well. MB seems happy to be a small risk, small reward guy.

The reality is that MB hasn't taken any serious risks yet. He makes small moves with low end talent. Probably his biggest risk was bringing in Briere, but that just cost money.

And the owner told him to bring Briere in. So even that wasn't really his decision.

Someone made it up at some point, and it's become gospel on these boards.

Actually it was tony marinaro who said it during a game. He claimed he knew for pretty much a fact that that is what happened. I wasn't there.

Guest Stogey24

Which makes perfect sense because Gorges is banged up bad.

Gotta be his shouldy. He slid into the boards playing L.A. That's all I can think of.

This is a small trade, but I think it might help team balance a lot. A stay at home guy to play the right side with Markov, moves Emelin to the left side on a different pairing. I am prematurely happy with this trade. I do get to take it back. I'm still not happy about Briere centering a fourth line, but one injury to a centre, changes that as well. Team is more balanced today than it was yesterday. That is good.

Let's hope he doesn't become Breezer.

If he did become in his prime Breezer that would be unreal.

The problem with Patrice was that he was a #3 forced to play a #1 role.

If he did become in his prime Breezer that would be unreal.

The problem with Patrice was that he was a #3 forced to play a #1 role.

And he couldn't defend, which isn't normally good when are a d-man.

• 2 weeks later...

If we move Honey Boo-Boo, then worst-case scenario it's an upgrade at the #6-7 position.

One injury to Murray, Emelin or Gorges and the trade looks like genius come playoff time.

I don't see what's so puzzling about it.

I'm with you. Sorry about that...

Still the crapping on Brisebois. Apart from ONE SEASON (2000-01) when he was played on the wrong side the whole year and finished -31, he was overwhelmingly a "plus" player throughout his NHL career. 420 points in over 1000 NHL games. Wow, that's a real piece of crap.

Brisebois became the scapegoat in 2000-01 for everything that had gone wrong with the Montreal Canadiens at the worst moment in their history. He was the martyr to a crowd that wanted to flog somebody, anybody, for its own suffering. His reward for loyally toiling on his wrong side and being set up to fail, never complaining, was a merciless, disgraceful demonization by an irrational fan-base - a kind of nightly, public humiliation by 20 000 people who are supposed to be your "fans" - that none of us can possibly imagine. When this endless stress finally led to a heart condition, he was then further pilloried for being a sissy, by people who would probably drop dead if subjected for five minutes to what he had to put up with. And the rest of his life has been defined in the so-called "minds" of these so-called "fans" by that ONE disastrous season in an otherwise distinguished 16-year NHL career.

What we did to Brisebois remains a shameful, black mark in Habs history. An inexcusable instance of mass bullying of a quality player and by all accounts a decent man.

• Upvote 4

Great post CC! I always appreciated what a team player Breezer was, and the Habs have had much worse D men since he's been gone...

Still the crapping on Brisebois. Apart from ONE SEASON (2000-01) when he was played on the wrong side the whole year and finished -31, he was overwhelmingly a "plus" player throughout his NHL career. 420 points in over 1000 NHL games. Wow, that's a real piece of crap.

Brisebois became the scapegoat in 2000-01 for everything that had gone wrong with the Montreal Canadiens at the worst moment in their history. He was the martyr to a crowd that wanted to flog somebody, anybody, for its own suffering. His reward for loyally toiling on his wrong side and being set up to fail, never complaining, was a merciless, disgraceful demonization by an irrational fan-base - a kind of nightly, public humiliation by 20 000 people who are supposed to be your "fans" - that none of us can possibly imagine. When this endless stress finally led to a heart condition, he was then further pilloried for being a sissy, by people who would probably drop dead if subjected for five minutes to what he had to put up with. And the rest of his life has been defined in the so-called "minds" of these so-called "fans" by that ONE disastrous season in an otherwise distinguished 16-year NHL career.

What we did to Brisebois remains a shameful, black mark in Habs history. An inexcusable instance of mass bullying of a quality player and by all accounts a decent man.

:clap:

Fantastic post.

I have to admit though back in 2000 I was 15 and I booed Patrice. At that age my rose coloured glasses made me see the Canadiens as a great team despite them being anything but.