GDT: Canadiens-Lightning 7:30 PM

Forwards in the league with 50+ points with 10 or less points on the powerplay: Gabriel Landeskog, Jaden Schwartz, Brad Marchand, Tyler Johnson and Brandon Dubinsky (5)

When Landeskog's new contract kicks in, he'll make $5.5M (he's also a 20 year old top 3 pick)

Schwartz is only 21 and is on his first new contract making $2.3M

Marchand makes $4.5M and is the only fair comparable to Lars Eller at 26 years old.

Johnson was a rookie of the year candidate last season, currently making $3.3M per season

Dubinsky would be a fair comparison too... except he'll be making $5.85M next year on a brand new deal and already makes around $4.2M

So once again, if Lars Eller is receiving next to no powerplay time, how is it fair to expect him to score 50 points?

Forwards in the league with 50+ points with 10 or less points on the powerplay: Gabriel Landeskog, Jaden Schwartz, Brad Marchand, Tyler Johnson and Brandon Dubinsky (5)

When Landeskog's new contract kicks in, he'll make $5.5M (he's also a 20 year old top 3 pick)

Marchand makes $4.5M and is the only fair comparable to Lars Eller at 26 years old.

Johnson was a rookie of the year candidate last season, currently making $3.3M per season

Dubinsky would be a fair comparison too... except he'll be making $5.85M next year on a brand new deal and already makes around $4.2M

So once again, if Lars Eller is receiving next to no powerplay time, how is it fair to expect him to score 50 points?

I don't expect 50 points, I'm just hoping that he can find some kind of consistency.

Go count for me how many 25 or older players are 50 point scorers in the league at under $4M. There's one on the team named David you can start with. Give me guys that scored 50 in a season then received a contract of under $4M.

100% agree. Bobby Ryan got under 50 points and he just scored over $7M. Yes he will be a UFA, but he will be making more than Tavares. We are going to see 35-40 point players making $5M in another year.

The only ones making less that scored more than 50 points are probably players who don't have arbitration rights yet.

I'd also add AND playing with Bork the dork.

It's not just about points, it's about his general suckage 85% of the time. Stop making excuses for l'il baby Lars.

Well he is a young player that has not got any better under Therrien. But then again who has? Gallagher was actually better two seasons ago than he is now. Certainly has not improved. Chucky according to the powers that be, has not improved even enough to play his regular position. Subban is the same player who came up against the caps in the 010 play offs, where he had 8 points in 9 play off games. No real "improvement" Bournival.?....No there has not been one young player improve to any degree worth speaking of, since Therrien took over. Lars included.

But he loves those vets and he speaks fluent french.

GO HABS

Can't wait till he gets run out of town, does well elsewhere and then everyone will say that the Habs mismanaged him. Lars is a 3rd line center, he isn't going to put up big numbers and that's okay. No he isn't playing well right now but most aren't. I didn't hear anyone calling him lil baby Lars when he exploded in our playoff run. As long as the team is winning, who gives a shit who does what?

This year is put up or shut up for Lars, which is unfortunate because we put our eggs in his basket without much proven. If he has another year like last year, then he's the odd man out and should be moved to make room for Galchenyuk.

Come on Lars, don't be such a wimp. Maybe he shouldn't have married so young, his mojo is inconsistent.

Well he is a young player that has not got any better under Therrien. But then again who has? Gallagher was actually better two seasons ago than he is now. Certainly has not improved. Chucky according to the powers that be, has not improved even enough to play his regular position. Subban is the same player who came up against the caps in the 010 play offs, where he had 8 points in 9 play off games. No real "improvement" Bournival.?....No there has not been one young player improve to any degree worth speaking of, since Therrien took over. Lars included.

But he loves those vets and he speaks fluent french.

GO HABS

Hey there will be no criticism of le genius, results are what counts and he has a new contract. Does he really speak fluent french? We once had a prime minister who couldn't speak either official language. :P

It's not just about points, it's about his general suckage 85% of the time. Stop making excuses for l'il baby Lars.

Agreed. Hence my asking for consistency.

I would have been fine with his point totals last season if I saw hard work from him in the majority of the games. Or at least show some intelligence. Eller was skating around like a chicken with his head cut off for a long time, a few games before Gallagher was taken off the line. Gallagher is known for doing a lot of the hard work Eller should be doing and that opens Eller up. In the playoffs he started to do that hard work and so far it seems like he's back to playing a chaotic game. He's probably heavily coached after games but it really feels like Therrien just lets him play his game. I don't see much evolution.

There's a reason why we're pissed at the play of Bourque and Eller while fine with Sekac. It isn't just that Sekac is a rookie. Sekac is always playing smart and trying to make things happen. Eller and Bourque seem to be terrible influences for each other when it's not the preseason or playoffs.

I was one of the loudest detractors on Eller last season because the conversation with him kept going towards, "Let's flip Desharnais and Eller and see Eller shine!" as if that's all that would need to be done with him. I'm fine with his contract based on his level of risk. I recognize a rising cap. I just don't see demanding 50 points from a third line center with no PP time as anything other than asinine. Give me 4-6 points a month with smarter play and I'm good with him on the third line.

I don't want him run out of town. It's more that the longer he continues in this track, the clearer the patterns become. They're the same patterns as Andrei Kostitsyn and Jan Bulis. At 25, and after 3 1/2 NHL seasons, he still has a bit of time to put it together, but not too much more time, surely. And I call him L'il Baby Lars not because of him but because of the ridiculous amount of excuse-making generated on his behalf. It's his linemates. It's the coach. It's his lack of PP time. It's the solar flares. Wah, wah, wah. How about this? Lars Elle can't control his linemates or his PP time, but he can control how Lars Eller plays within that context. And most of the time, he plays cruddy. And here's a thought, too - just as he never gets PP time, he also never faces the opposition's top offensive (Pleks) OR defensive (DD) lines. And he basically does jack sh*t despite the openings that should be giving him.

I'm with Machine, then. Let's see smart, intense, hard-working, committed play from him night after night. Only after that will I worry about points totals.

The hypothesis that young players aren't improving under Therrien is an interesting one, though. Unfortunately, it's too soon to tell one way or another about that. PK won a Norris and the Gal(l)ys became respected NHLers under MT, after all.

I'm honestly all for giving Borque a quick stint on top line. He's never played with Pac or DD. I mentioned it last year too. Why not give him a look?

I mentioned it three games ago, and again after the slaughter in Tbay. Swap Gally and Bourque.........with Therriens merry go round lines....what the heck is to lose?

Agreed. Hence my asking for consistency.

I would have been fine with his point totals last season if I saw hard work from him in the majority of the games. Or at least show some intelligence. Eller was skating around like a chicken with his head cut off for a long time, a few games before Gallagher was taken off the line. Gallagher is known for doing a lot of the hard work Eller should be doing and that opens Eller up. In the playoffs he started to do that hard work and so far it seems like he's back to playing a chaotic game. He's probably heavily coached after games but it really feels like Therrien just lets him play his game. I don't see much evolution.

There's a reason why we're pissed at the play of Bourque and Eller while fine with Sekac. It isn't just that Sekac is a rookie. Sekac is always playing smart and trying to make things happen. Eller and Bourque seem to be terrible influences for each other when it's not the preseason or playoffs.

I was one of the loudest detractors on Eller last season because the conversation with him kept going towards, "Let's flip Desharnais and Eller and see Eller shine!" as if that's all that would need to be done with him. I'm fine with his contract based on his level of risk. I recognize a rising cap. I just don't see demanding 50 points from a third line center with no PP time as anything other than asinine. Give me 4-6 points a month with smarter play and I'm good with him on the third line.

Name a young player that has improved under Therrien?

I wouldn't mind seeing him clock in as the 314th forward in ice time. Larry is a loser! He's been a loser forever.

Last year Eller was switched from line ti line, center to wing, wing back to center. Played with the two kids, then with Plekanic and GIonta (where 435 guys have played and failed) . Therrien stopped using him as a spear part come play off time and he did alright. Lets see how he does if they leave that line alone for awhile (but MT is like a dope addict with line changing in that he just cant help himself)

Maybe he and Pleks are polar opposite.....Eller good in play offs, stinks in regular season........Plekanic good in regular season, stinks in play offs.

Subban won a Norris under Therrien.

Pacioretty scored 39 goals under Therrien.

That said, it's a dumb question. If a player struggles, is it always the coaches fault? If a player excels, is it the coaches credit? So absolute. Therrien didn't teach Patches how to score the 39 goals and he certainly didn't tell Eller to stop playing the system.

Subban won a Norris under Therrien.

Pacioretty scored 39 goals under Therrien.

That said, it's a dumb question. If a player struggles, is it always the coaches fault? If a player excels, is it the coaches credit? So absolute. Therrien didn't teach Patches how to score the 39 goals and he certainly didn't tell Eller to stop playing the system.

There are other coaches on the staff, too. Not every single mistake or transgression is his fault. I blame him for the embarrassment against Ottawa (saying Gionta cried in his arms, calling out the Walrus) but overall he's been better than we could have hoped. When he was hired most here wanted Bob Hartley or Patrick Roy. Therrien wasn't even on the radar.