Tinordi traded to Arizona

dlbalr

I think it is the John Scott thing. There is not a more useless player in the NHL. I really think this is bad asset management. Tinordi will make it, and we will look stoooopid.

John Scott may never play a game for the Habs.

The move is about Barberio as much as anyone.

I don't get the big deal. Habs clearly didn't believe in Tinordi, they unload him for a couple of schlubs. Why the outrage?

Over the summer, we signed Mark Barberio, who proved in Tampa he could be an NHL defenceman.

In the fall, we sent Barberio down, even when he had a superior camp to Tinordi, and only had Tinordi up out of fear he could be claimed on waivers. Around this time, Elliotte Friedman was saying Montreal was asking for two second rounders for him.

In November, Pierre LeBrun reported that teams were calling for Jarred Tinordi and "a second round pick would really make the Habs think" meaning teams were offering less than a second, but easily more than what we got today.

Today, we gave up Tinordi and in return took an AHL defenceman to replace Mark Barberio, who in his plays up on the roster proved once again he was an NHL defenceman unlike Tinordi. We also take John Scott in the deal, becoming the laughing stock of the league.

All this, because Bergevin kept sitting and stewing while Tinordi's value depleted into nothing. He probably would have cleared waivers at this point.

Is that the main thing Bergevin had in mind for the deal...more capspace? Hopefully he will need it to deal for a rental or helps out in the big deal for the missing link!

Another 1st round bust (who actually cost a 2010 2nd round pick also, I didn't like the trading up for a stay at home d-man at the time).

This move tells me a few things

1) Barberio has made the team. Tinordi had to go to clear the roster spot for him.

2) Bartley is Barberio's replacement.

3) Scott was the contract dump (money) to allow arizona to add Tinordi. It may also be a little wink, wink from the NHL to make removing him from the all-star game easier

4) The habs save $650,000 in cap space as Brian mentionned.

5) the throw in of fournier keeps our contract limit the same.

Well I certainly hope we made little Gary happy. Can't have that big dummy in the "big game of the year".

Many believe Tinordi would have had value in a package.

I don't buy that.

If the asset has no value on its own... its not "added value" to a package.

Right. I guess I long ago moved past 'denial' and into the 'acceptance' stage that Tinordi has little value. If you see him as a marginal NHLer, then there's no reason at all to fume about this deal, it seems to me - especially in light of Commandant's analysis above.

(For what it's worth, Maguire was on the radio saying that Tinordi 'hasn't been the same player' since that one-punch KO last year. He gave no indication that he saw anything wrong in this deal, implying rather that it confirmed his assessment of the player's worth).

That said, Machine makes a good point. Having an asset sit around in the press box will only cause it to depreciate. That's a good, though hardly earth-shattering criticism.

Over the summer, we signed Mark Barberio, who proved in Tampa he could be an NHL defenceman.

In the fall, we sent Barberio down, even when he had a superior camp to Tinordi, and only had Tinordi up out of fear he could be claimed on waivers. Around this time, Elliotte Friedman was saying Montreal was asking for two second rounders for him.

In November, Pierre LeBrun reported that teams were calling for Jarred Tinordi and "a second round pick would really make the Habs think" meaning teams were offering less than a second, but easily more than what we got today.

Today, we gave up Tinordi and in return took an AHL defenceman to replace Mark Barberio, who in his plays up on the roster proved once again he was an NHL defenceman unlike Tinordi. We also take John Scott in the deal, becoming the laughing stock of the league.

All this, because Bergevin kept sitting and stewing while Tinordi's value depleted into nothing. He probably would have cleared waivers at this point.

In September Brandon Gormley (a very similar player to Tinordi, and someone selected 10 places higher in the draft) was traded for Stefan Elliott.

What do you think Tinordi's value was in September?

And as much as I like Freidman and Lebrun and Bobby Mac, etc... they are just reporting what MB was asking, not what others offered.

Tinordi can and will be a player in this league. You are absolutely correct and we will regret it.

Tinordi can and will be a player in this league. You are absolutely correct and we will regret it.

Right. As in any trade of young guys, if the one you ship away blossoms, you look bad.

We have to trust Bergevin's player assessment skills.

In September Brandon Gormley (a very similar player to Tinordi, and someone selected 10 places higher in the draft) was traded for Stefan Elliott.

What do you think Tinordi's value was in September?

And as much as I like Freidman and Lebrun and Bobby Mac, etc... they are just reporting what MB was asking, not what others offered.

When LeBrun says, "Teams calling Habs" it means they want to know the value. It means they are interested. Bergevin shooed them off the lot.

Bergevin failed here.

Right. As in any trade of young guys, if the one you ship away blossoms, you look bad.

We have to trust Bergevin's player assessment skills.

I think Comandant nailed it. I just don't like it.

Guest Stogey24

Some still thought Tinordi could be part of the future with the Habs. For those in that boat, the return would definitely qualify as underwhelming.

Who on here can honestly be happy about this trade?

Nobody can be happy about it. Our 1st rounder turned into a big pumpkin. Nothing to like in that.

However, that doesn't make this trade a major mistake, or a hockey move of any significance at all really (except to the farm team). I see the Scrivens trade as more significant - this is a swapping of marginal parts. Not worth a whole lot of soulful thought one way or the other.

OK here is a positive to this trade, next time we play Bawstun we call the all star power forward up and get him to break Chara in half. Now that would make this deal a great deal in my mind.

If we waived him, I would be saying, "We could have traded him for more and now we might lose him. That's what you get."

If we got a 7th round pick, at least we got a pick out of it.

We got less than nothing. We're supposed to be happy about a little bit of cap space? While Carr and Andrighetto are in the AHL? No thanks.

A lot of sports fans try to rationalize their own thinking to agree with management to feel smarter. Whether or not that applies to anybody here is up for speculation.

Indeed, a minor leaguer and John Scott is the value for a #8 defenseman that's played only three games all year. His value diminishing to a trade for the biggest joke in the game, and an undrafted AHLer with one career NHL goal is on management. They should have traded him before the year if he wasn't in the plans. If the plan was to wait and see if he could make the team, playing more 38 games over the last three seasons is the way to see if he could make, instead of benching him for any mistake.

For the Barberio Camp, a player like him is available every year. The Habs have passed on a few of them in their own system like Yannick Weber. He's no great shakes. I'm more interested in developing 6'6 first rounders than waiting if scrubs with no ceiling like Pateryn or Barberio pan out.

I think we can cancel MBs flight to the NHL Awards in June. What a joke.

I don't know what everyone is complaining about? Everyone wanted an all star power forward, well we got one.

Hahaha! Exactly right? We successfully traded a first round disappointment for an all star captain! John Scott is probably the best out of the captains anyway (ovechkin, Kane and Jagr) those guys wouldn't help this team the way Scott will. Looks like Bergevin is going all in for the cup. We can relax now boys. Scott does this type of thing on a bi-millenial basis.

SARCASM

But seriously.. This better be just part of some more to come, but I don't even see how it would be unless MB knows people who like Scott and Bartly. We're even taking on more contracts are we not? In the words of Winnie the Pooh "oh bother"

I think CC nailed it in that we shouldn't be happy that our 2010 first rounder is a bust.

That said, we can't evaluate this trade today as us giving up a first rounder. We have to evaluate it as its been 5.5 years since he was drafted and he's done NOTHING.

This is the darkest timeline...

Minus the scantily-clad Alison Brie... :angry2:

Disappointed that Tinordi never panned out for us and that we got basically nothing for him in the end. I am, however, loving being part of a community where someone quotes Community and I'm not the only one who gets it!

• Upvote 1

Hahaha! Exactly right? We successfully traded a first round disappointment for an all star captain! John Scott is probably the best out of the captains anyway (ovechkin, Kane and Jagr) those guys wouldn't help this team the way Scott will. Looks like Bergevin is going all in for the cup. We can relax now boys. Scott does this type of thing on a bi-millenial basis.

SARCASM

But seriously.. This better be just part of some more to come, but I don't even see how it would be unless MB knows people who like Scott and Bartly. We're even taking on more contracts are we not? In the words of Winnie the Pooh "oh bother"

We saved money as Brian said.

If we waived him, I would be saying, "We could have traded him for more and now we might lose him. That's what you get."

If we got a 7th round pick, at least we got a pick out of it.

We got less than nothing. We're supposed to be happy about a little bit of cap space? While Carr and Andrighetto are in the AHL? No thanks.

You're right. This is a big fat zero. Scott and Bartley are on one year deals even if they wanted those losers.

The team needs scoring, and MB is noodling for three weeks on a three team deal for two players with six goals in 400 career games. Actually? One goal a year fits in well with the aesthetic MT and MB are developing.

Good for Tinordi. He'll get a shot on Arizona.

When I prayed that MB would trade for an all-star, this was NOT what I had in mind damnit!

All kidding aside, this is a nothing trade...as in it does nothing to help the team on the ice at all. Call it roster space/cap management, and forget about it.