Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

If Montreal somehow shipped off Bourque without taking back salary? I'd definitely consider Penner on a $1M deal. That's what you should be paying for guys like Penner, Malone and Bourque. Otherwise? I don't see him as a fit.

That said, we have a logjam at forward unlike the Pittsburgh Penguins. If I'm Penner or Malone, I'm taking a Penguins tryout. Better chance to play in their top six and better chance to have your career injected with some life by finishing a few Malkin or Sid passes.

Anyway, if he wants to try out and the Habs say yes? No harm no four. It ain't like we're signing him. It's just a tryout. Maybe he's a passionate guy and takes a two way deal and plays in Hamilton. Likely not but who knows?

Who's spot would he take? He doesn't fight, and doesn't work very hard, and if the Habs are that weak on wing that we need Pancakes, we are in deep do do....

Who's spot would he take? He doesn't fight, and doesn't work very hard, and if the Habs are that weak on wing that we need Pancakes, we are in deep do do....

We often project a player to have a certain style of play based on his body size and for some it is just not in their mind set. Penner may fit into that category. He can be productive in his own way, so to bring him in to have a look, i don't have a problem with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, yep, the Pens fans are already juggling lines to make room for Pacioretty, because he's in the deal to acquire Sutter don't you know? :rofl:

Ek is whack 99% of his rumors are bullcrap

One guy said he a monkey throws darts at a dart board with team logos on it, and whatever team the monkey's dart hits is what rumor is started for that day, and that about sums it up with supreme accuracy.

Maybe NHL GM's call other GM's to inquire about the availability of player? Naw, they would never do that.... :rofl:

Eklund (still batting zero) is claiming we are trying to get Brandon Sutter, a rh center. Why? I have no idea. ok i would give them Bourque, straight up. good deal no warranty.

If the plan long-term doesn't have Plekanec in it, I could see them wanting another checker capable of playing a shutdown role. The catch is, he's a UFA the same time as Plekanec. I like Sutter but there's not really a fit right now.

Poor Plekanec, he gets no respect, no respect at all from many HabFans. :flaming:

Someone has to do the dirty work, be a shut down guy vs top lines in league and chip in 20 goals, not sure why so many want him gone.

He can likely play that role for several more years and de la Rose/Hudon/Gregoire could be his replacement in 3-4 years? No need for a Sutter I don't think.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything about this interview that MT gave on TSN Radio on Sept 30, where he was quoted as saying "something big is in the works".

On one of the other forums it's a huge conversation, but I've yet to hear it from anywhere reputable.

Has anyone heard anything about this interview that MT gave on TSN Radio on Sept 30, where he was quoted as saying "something big is in the works".

On one of the other forums it's a huge conversation, but I've yet to hear it from anywhere reputable.

Other websites went on crazy tangents, as if Therrien was giving away Bergevin's hand and telling people of a major trade.

If Therrien is talking about something big, it's likely PR big. I.E. number retirements, player tributes, new stuff in Bell Centre, maybe a new Habs initiative for the community, etc.

Internet will chase their own tail on anything.

• Upvote 1

I was thinking the same thing, the first thing that came to mind for me was a Saku Night, but would it be justified to say "something big is in the works"? To me and as a fan, you have to know that we are assuming trade, but why would MT be talking about trades? Weird thing to say, maybe the interview was in French and it was lost in translation.

• 2 weeks later...

Why would this team, which is generally viewed as an up-and-comer, effect major surgery on its roster? And why would the coach be the one hinting at it? This sounds like nonsense. But yeah, a Saku Koivu Night would be the bomb. Much more meaningful than retiring the number of players who probably should not have their numbers retired (Lapointe).

I don't get why Lapointe's number shouldn't be retired. The guy was part of the big 3 - and because the Habs had Robinson and Savard people seem to forget it was the big 3 - not 2.

IMO, Robinson was clearly the best of the 3, but Lapointe would still be among the top 7 or 8 defencemen of his generation.

Why would this team, which is generally viewed as an up-and-comer, effect major surgery on its roster? And why would the coach be the one hinting at it? This sounds like nonsense. But yeah, a Saku Koivu Night would be the bomb. Much more meaningful than retiring the number of players who probably should not have their numbers retired (Lapointe).

I don't get why Lapointe's number shouldn't be retired. The guy was part of the big 3 - and because the Habs had Robinson and Savard people seem to forget it was the big 3 - not 2.

IMO, Robinson was clearly the best of the 3, but Lapointe would still be among the top 7 or 8 defencemen of his generation.

Oh, I wouldn't go to the wall on the point...I just feel the Habs have downgraded from retiring the numbers of only all-time, supremely great players to retiring those of star players who also won Cups. He has four all-star berths and no individual awards for all his years in the league. I'm not sure being the 8th best d-man of your generation should be enough to get your number in the rafters for this organization. But y'know, I don't want to slag Pointu. That his number was not among those retired in the frenzied build-up to Year 100 probably tells us something, though.

Oh, I wouldn't go to the wall on the point...I just feel the Habs have downgraded from retiring the numbers of only all-time, supremely great players to retiring those of star players who also won Cups. He has four all-star berths and no individual awards for all his years in the league. I'm not sure being the 8th best d-man of your generation should be enough to get your number in the rafters for this organization. But y'know, I don't want to slag Pointu. That his number was not among those retired in the frenzied build-up to Year 100 probably tells us something, though.

I don't think they have downgraded retiring only all-time greats. Hell, I'd say they've over-delayed retiring numbers of guys long after they should have. If Dryden and Robinson were french, their numbers would have been retired a long time ago. I think being a hall of famer merits having your number retired.

Doug Harvey's number should have been retired long before 1985, The Pocket Rocket was retired immidately. Is he a better player than Harvey??? One of the top 3 greatest all time defensemen vs. a great leader who won the most cups. Jacque Plante's number should have been retired long before he died - not around 10 years afterwards. Boom Boom, Dicke Moore and the road runner should also have had their numbers retired years ago.

The frenzy to retire numbers was a marketing play, but it corrected an oversight. There were no reason for guys like Dryden, Robinson, Boom Boom, Moore, Savard and Gainey should have had to wait as long as they did.

Lapointe was a big reason for the 4 in a row. The top defence man from his generation are Orr, Potvin, Robinson, Savard, Park, Lapointe, Salming. I believe all of these guys have had their numbers retired (by the team that retire numbers). The canadiens have more numbers retired than any other team, but they also have twice as many cups as any other team and had two absolutely dominant franchises.

You make a good case. One thing I disagree with is that being in the Hall of Fame should warrant a jersey retirement. No WAY. Having a jersey retired is a far more signal honour, or should be, at least for a great franchise like Montreal.

• 2 weeks later...

eklund has an E4 for the habs in on Eberle. I can't see that happening - but that would be sweet. They desperately need a centre and a dman (I think they need a guy like Pleks, but Edmonton would definitely be on his no trade list). i don't put much stock on Eklund, but if this is true, would Eller+Beaulieu make sense for both sides??

Guest Stogey24

eklund has an E4 for the habs in on Eberle. I can't see that happening - but that would be sweet. They desperately need a centre and a dman (I think they need a guy like Pleks, but Edmonton would definitely be on his no trade list). i don't put much stock on Eklund, but if this is true, would Eller+Beaulieu make sense for both sides??

Beaulieu was just told to get a place in Montreal, I doubt he's going anywhere.

The deal doesn't make sense. Period.

Montreal is looking better on the RW with Parenteau playing well. Back at the draft the need for a RW was there but not so much today.

Edmonton doesn't want Tinordi or Beaulieu. More youngsters just means more young mistakes.

Edmonton doesn't want Eller either. Eller is slumping and called them a junior team.

Edmonton might want Gallagher but we can't fit $6M onto the cap giving them Gallagher.

Edmonton might want Desharnais because their #2 center hopes failed but they are not gonna give up Eberle to get that. Unless MacT is ready to be the dumbest GM of all time.

In that case, DD+Bork+Moen for Eberle+3rd (because Bergevin always convinces a GM to add a draft pick).

Fits our cap and gives us Patches - Chuck - Eberle/Sekac - Plek - PAP/Prust - Eller - Gally/Bournival - Malhotra - Weise which means we're now weak on the LW instead of the RW but hey! Works for me.

Either MacT and Edmonton is ready to make the dumbest trade of all time or this isn't happening.

Not sure what a good deal with Oil would be.

But, who you draft really has little to do with current roster, not smart way too draft. Unless have a top 5 pick and can step into lineup relatively quickly, you may want to find a fit if have 2 equal rated prospects (e.g. Gainey with Price or Marc Stall choice in 2005), otherwise is smart boring best-player-available.

can't give up beaulieu..he's taking over when markov needs to step away

Wise words. We need to look 2-3 years down the line, and we won't be able to replace #79 via free agency due to cap issues. I've said for a while that Beaulieu is a very, very important player in terms of the organizational big picture, and unless we think Pateryn projects as a legit top-4 offensive defenceman, nothing seems to have changed that.