Game 4, Lightning vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

Holy crow. Maclean makes what are in effect racist remarks about francophone referees. I guess by that logic Ontarians should not be allowed to ref Leafs' games either, right, Ron? Or is it that French Canadians are intrinsically less rational and competent than English-Canadian refs?

Lord, what a puke. I expect that from Cherry but not from this guy. Apology not accepted - because if really didn't believe that garbage, he wouldn't have brought it up in the first place.

Stay classy, CBC. And I hope you are all put out to pasture like the turds you are when Sportsnet takes over.

Here's the problem. Sportsnet employed Doug MacLean and Nik Kypreos. And will continue to. As well as bring over Maclean and Cherry.

Going private doesn't mean things will get better. In all liklihood it's going to get worse. CBC Sports focused itself on covering the Toronto Maple Leafs over all other teams. Now Hockey Night in Canada is owned by a part-majority owner of MLSE. They made their bed and now lie in it, but don't fool yourself into thinking things will get better.

I'm starting to feel bad for my fellow habsfans across Canada who don't have much of a choice but to listen the crap that CBC's spews every week-end!

You guys should try RDS! True that it's in french, but it'll give ya'll a chance to brush up on your high school french without having to actually speak. Give it a couple of years and I guarantee that your french will have improved!

Cheers!! ;)

All you really need to know is "et le but!!" and maybe "le tir" the rest you can figure out for your self. Maclean has just made himself as big an idiot as that 80 year old drooling goof sitting next to him.

But, don't you think the hall of fame line-up with, Stock, Healy, Cherry, Maclean etc really have sharp hockey minds and offer such great insight!

But, don't you think the hall of fame line-up with, Stock, Healy, Cherry, Maclean etc really have sharp hockey minds and offer such great insight!

They might if only they could get their collective heads out of their a$$es.

PJ Stock is an inarticulate moron in both official languages, but at least he manages to make a point now and then (however erroneous they tend to be). Healy is the type of idiot who will just blather on and say absolutely nothing.

The sad part of all this is that the media has gotten the point across that the Habs got lucky and calls went their way. No mention of the 9 periods of hockey domination. Now we can look forward to bad calls for the remainder of the playoffs. I really wish that goal would have counted.

The sad part of all this is that the media has gotten the point across that the Habs got lucky and calls went their way. No mention of the 9 periods of hockey domination. Now we can look forward to bad calls for the remainder of the playoffs. I really wish that goal would have counted.

But, is true calls mostly went Habs way.

And most media are saying Habs dominated Tampa, so I wouldn't be too concerned if all of them don't jump on bandwagon, especially Ontario media types. Forget about it.

Holy crow. Maclean makes what are in effect racist remarks about francophone referees. I guess by that logic Ontarians should not be allowed to ref Leafs' games either, right, Ron?

actually, yes he thinks ontario refs shouldn't referee leafs games after a controversial call in a situation like this. He specifically said albertan refs shouldn't be sent to ref edmonton\calgary games after a controversial situation like this, either. Note that he also agreed with the original No-Goal call. He's talking about the league avoiding even the accusation of bias.

Do I agree with him? No. But there's nothing discriminatory or biased there. MacLean is always fair and insightful, and makes the buffoon he works with far more entertaining with his straight man schtick. I like Ron.

But, is true calls mostly went Habs way.

And most media are saying Habs dominated Tampa, so I wouldn't be too concerned if all of them don't jump on bandwagon, especially Ontario media types. Forget about it.

I agree with this. I lived in Boston until 2012, and unless someone like Fred Shero makes a big stink, homer suck bags like Jack Edwards rule the airwaves. Nothing's going to change.

I agree with this. I lived in Boston until 2012, and unless someone like Fred Shero makes a big stink, homer suck bags like Jack Edwards rule the airwaves. Nothing's going to change.

Jack Edwards and the rest of the homers on NESN are the main reason I don't want the Habs to face Boston. Being in Connecticut I would have no choice but to endure them for a whole series.

Don't think my blood pressure can deal with that.

All you really need to know is "et le but!!" and maybe "le tir" the rest you can figure out for your self. Maclean has just made himself as big an idiot as that 80 year old drooling goof sitting next to him.

That was actually about the most disgusting comment I've heard on CBC... and that's WITH Cherry! Racism is a natural temptation because we don't understand the other language or customs (like winning if you're a Laff fan) and can get nervous, but Mclean's gross insult to an entire province.. and Canada...was astonishingly gross.

I still can't believe he said that.

UGhhhhh..

And I DO find that RDS is improving the French I learned in high school... and what better way to improve it.... :habslogo:

Do I agree with him? No. But there's nothing discriminatory or biased there. MacLean is always fair and insightful, and makes the buffoon he works with far more entertaining with his straight man schtick. I like Ron.

I have always liked Ron Mclean but I respectfully disagree with your assesment. Based on his twisted logic, there would be nobody reffing anything. There is always someone who can play the bias card. If a Canadian team plays an American team we will need a Russian ref? Because one of them could be biased. And lets not stop at no Albertans reffing in Alberta, what about western canada, Winnipeg Vs Vancouver? Read Paul Stuarts article or almost any ref's opinion and you will see just how stupid this comment was. The refs have a job to do, and they strive to do the best job they can. They get paid to be unbiased and if they are not they would be out of a job. Lets face it they are hated where ever they go so how can they play favorites. What Ron did was insult every referee who is now or ever has reffed a game. Including himself. The only thing he accomplised was to give the separtists another argument to use when they whine that they are being discriminated against. Read this article and you will see what I mean.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Playoffs/Montreal/2014/04/24/21626471.html and I say yes he does believe that Montreal gets breaks from French refs which is why he said it. I am amazed that a man with his years of broadcasting would be so silly. But then look at the trogladite he sits next to.

"

I have always liked Ron Mclean but I respectfully disagree with your assesment. Based on his twisted logic, there would be nobody reffing anything. There is always someone who can play the bias card. If a Canadian team plays an American team we will need a Russian ref? Because one of them could be biased. And lets not stop at no Albertans reffing in Alberta, what about western canada, Winnipeg Vs Vancouver? Read Paul Stuarts article or almost any ref's opinion and you will see just how stupid this comment was. The refs have a job to do, and they strive to do the best job they can. They get paid to be unbiased and if they are not they would be out of a job. Lets face it they are hated where ever they go so how can they play favorites. What Ron did was insult every referee who is now or ever has reffed a game. Including himself. The only thing he accomplised was to give the separtists another argument to use when they whine that they are being discriminated against. Read this article and you will see what I mean.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Playoffs/Montreal/2014/04/24/21626471.html and I say yes he does believe that Montreal gets breaks from French refs which is why he said it. I am amazed that a man with his years of broadcasting would be so silly. But then look at the trogladite he sits next to.

Sure seemed that way to me. Highly insulting comment to all Canadians.

Jack Edwards and the rest of the homers on NESN are the main reason I don't want the Habs to face Boston. Being in Connecticut I would have no choice but to endure them for a whole series.

Don't think my blood pressure can deal with that.

Edwards can be tough to stomach for sure. But, I find him just so over the top he is comical.

I have always liked Ron Mclean but I respectfully disagree with your assesment.

You mean you disagree with his assessment, because I agree with you. As I stated, I don't agree with Ron here, but I do not think he's being biased. He's wrong, but that doesn't mean he's a jackass. Ron was not saying Montreal is getting favored treatment from french refs. Nor did he say french refs should never referee a Montreal game. He was commenting that after a controversial call like this, the league should try to do everything it can to eliminate anything that anyone can even point at to falsely claim favortism in the following game(s) in the playoff series.

I understand his point, and disagree. As you said, you'd have to go to amazing lengths to avoid any possibility of favortism -- I don't think it's even possible to eliminate any chance of it. Even if you get a Russian referee, is he going to favor Markov and Emelin over north american players?

You have to give your referees the benefit of the doubt that they will be professional and not allow personal bias to creep into their officiating. Hell, if you get a ref from anywhere OTHER than Quebec, we can claim bias against Montreal because fans of other teams hate Montreal for their historical success. (or hate french people. Or hate Geoff Molson... because major mass-produced brewery labels are not that good.)

Edited by Jeff Price (no relation)

"

Sure seemed that way to me. Highly insulting comment to all Canadians.

Well Jeff, I happily think you've convinced me that McLean was not addressing the issue from an ethnic standpoint. His follow-up is still bad, but much less offensive than my initial reading. So thanks for the clarification and for keeping me from being an unfair critic.

You mean you disagree with his assessment, because I agree with you. As I stated, I don't agree with Ron here, but I do not think he's being biased. He's wrong, but that doesn't mean he's a jackass. Ron was not saying Montreal is getting favored treatment from french refs. Nor did he say french refs should never referee a Montreal game. He was commenting that after a controversial call like this, the league should try to do everything it can to eliminate anything that anyone can even point at to falsely claim favortism in the following game(s) in the playoff series.

I understand his point, and disagree. As you said, you'd have to go to amazing lengths to avoid any possibility of favortism -- I don't think it's even possible to eliminate any chance of it. Even if you get a Russian referee, is he going to favor Markov and Emelin over north american players?

You have to give your referees the benefit of the doubt that they will be professional and not allow personal bias to creep into their officiating. Hell, if you get a ref from anywhere OTHER than Quebec, we can claim bias against Montreal because fans of other teams hate Montreal for their historical success. (or hate french people. Or hate Geoff Molson... because major mass-produced brewery labels are not that good.)

You are correct we absolutely do agree and I was misquoted in the media. :)

On repeated listenings, I tend to agree that MacLean's comment was not as offensive as it first appeared to be. What was so regrettable was his use of the label "French Canadian." Had he said "Quebec-born," the whole mess might have been less egregious.

But his position is still nonsense, for the reasons expounded above. You can't go down the path of banning refs from certain games based on birthplace. Indeed, if I were a ref, I would take that as a personal affront - a profound attack on my basic professional integrity. What am I, a five-year-old kid who can't call a game competently because I'm so blinded by fan loyalty?

Besides that, referee allocations are made well in advance of particular games. If the proposal is to remove refs from "controversial" situations, you're talking a logistical nightmare - especially if you do the logical thing and extend the injunction to linesmen.

I thought Ray Ferraro had the best point on this. He said that when he used to go into Montreal as a visiting player, he expected the Habs to get the calls - NOT because the refs were Habs' fans, but because the energy in the building was so incredible that it becomes very hard for refs not to be unintentionally influenced by the manic crowd intensity. IF there is an occasional moment of pro-Habs refereeing, it probably comes from there, not some sort of childish go-Habs-go fanboy mentality. I'll bet the same holds true for the Air Canada Centre, incidentally.

Imagine this. Saturday night, Hockey Night in Canada, a french speaking referee calls a penalty to David Desharnais.

He turns on his mic and says " Even if he's a Quebec-born player, Montreal 51, two minutes for hooking."

I would laugh so loud.

Imagine this. Saturday night, Hockey Night in Canada, a french speaking referee calls a penalty to David Desharnais.

He turns on his mic and says " Even if he's a Quebec-born player, Montreal 51, two minutes for hooking."

I would laugh so loud.

now that woud be forking hilarious.

But his position is still nonsense, for the reasons expounded above. You can't go down the path of banning refs from certain games based on birthplace. Indeed, if I were a ref, I would take that as a personal affront - a profound attack on my basic professional integrity. What am I, a five-year-old kid who can't call a game competently because I'm so blinded by fan loyalty?

Agreed. As a guy who has spent a lot of time as a referee, I'm sure MacLean didn't think this statement through. (He scored big points with me the night before by being the first guy on CBC to actually point out that Francis Charron made the right call, by the rules, waiving off the goal.)

I would laugh so loud.

I know the league wants them to be invisible and let the players be the stars, but I love a referee with a bit of personality, as long as he's still fair. I am really enjoying Kerry Fraser's collumn on TSN.CA, and the refs and players and coaches have such an interesting relationship dynamic.

But then my boss at work, her last name is "Leggo." Yes, she's a first cousin of Mike "You can't do that!" Leggo.

Edited by Jeff Price (no relation)

All I can say, or care to say is that finally McLean had something, anything at all to say. He is one of my least favorite hosts ever, an uncle Tom for the man, of CBC, another "nothing" entity in today's NHL. I'll never forget Dave Hodge's dismissal, it was a classic, he was good, McLean was simply his tounge tied and directed by CBC replacement, and cannon fodder opposite to the dinosaur Cherry....

All that said, I don't and didn't see his comment as it may have sounded, but like the Cucumber said, his point was just nonsense, as is most of his attempts at wit and understanding of all things without a Leafs logo on it....