Serge Savard takes a permanent post in management.

Commandant

He still won two cups and the habs were at or near the top of the league throughout the late 80s and early 90s.... he wasn't that bad a GM

Overall he was a very good GM for the Canadiens. However, he was also justifiably fired and him having any "control" over the decisions made by the GM is a bit frightening. It'd be like re-hiring Pat Quinn.

He was a good GM. Not a great GM, but definitely a good one. I don't think you can blame him for the Chelios deal - that was Corey's interference - and the Schneider trade was actually a rather good one in my books. So that improves his record considerably, leaving only the LeClair trade as an abject, cataclysmic disaster (albeit one forced by what seemed like extreme circumstances at the time). Unlike Machine, I don't think he should have been fired. He left Houle a damned strong hand and there can be no disputing that he would have played that hand infinitely better than the dribbling jackanapse that replaced him. It is quite possible that had Savard remained in charge we never would have descended into the abyss of awfulness from which we're still, ultimately, trying to recover. None of this means he should be our GM now, of course.

He was a good GM. Not a great GM, but definitely a good one. I don't think you can blame him for the Chelios deal - that was Corey's interference - and the Schneider trade was actually a rather good one in my books. So that improves his record considerably, leaving only the LeClair trade as an abject, cataclysmic disaster (albeit one forced by what seemed like extreme circumstances at the time). Unlike Machine, I don't think he should have been fired. He left Houle a damned strong hand and there can be no disputing that he would have played that hand infinitely better than the dribbling jackanapse that replaced him. It is quite possible that had Savard remained in charge we never would have descended into the abyss of awfulness from which we're still, ultimately, trying to recover. None of this means he should be our GM now, of course.

He crapped the bed on draft days though didnt he? Habs had one flop after another and if Patrick Roy was not the saviour the pipes, he would of been a very bad GM overall wouldnt he?

I dont have as much faith in him as most i guess, but i cant remember his whole track record that well?

• Upvote 1

Are you surprised? McGuire, Brisson, Bergevin, Damphousse, Loiselle, Brisebois. None of these guys have any experience as a GM. Sure 4 served as assistant GM but none have ever been given the reigns.

• Upvote 1

He crapped the bed on draft days though didnt he? Habs had one flop after another and if Patrick Roy was not the saviour the pipes, he would of been a very bad GM overall wouldnt he?

I dont have as much faith in him  as most i guess, but i cant remember his whole track record that well?

I don't see the problem with him as advisor with Timmins still in charge of drafting. All the scouts that Serge relied on are gone from the organization... let the current scouting department do their job... let the new GM do his... and have Serge as a mentor to that guy.

I don't see the problem with him as advisor with Timmins still in charge of drafting. All the scouts that Serge relied on are gone from the organization... let the current scouting department do their job... let the new GM do his... and have Serge as a mentor to that guy.

Again, I am a bit sketchy on his track record, and not to be smart about it, but the GM hires and fires scouts dont they?

And his seemingly rigid stance on francophones importance in Habs hires, is just so off-track from the goal of team success on the ice, that makes me worry about his priorities.

So as a VP/consult or whatever role he has or is called, i am not sold on him being involved at all being as biased as he seems to be, but hope for the best and only time will tell.

Most seem to like him and are happy with his posting, so what the heck do i know.

Again, I am a bit sketchy on his track record, and not to be smart about it, but the GM hires and fires scouts dont they?

And his seemingly rigid stance on francophones importance in Habs hires, is just so off-track from the goal of team success on the ice, that makes me worry about his priorities.

So as a VP/consult or whatever role he has or is called, i am not sold on him being involved at all being as biased as he seems to be, but hope for the best and only time will tell.

Most seem to like him and are happy with his posting, so what the heck do i know.

If we get Roy in there as coach I feel kinda bad for the gm haha! Roy at one end Savard at the other :P

He would be torn apart! haha!

If we get Roy in there as coach I feel kinda bad for the gm haha! Roy at one end Savard at the other :P

He would be torn apart! haha!

Is there a wild guess how soon a GM is likely to be named? Or when one will really be needed to be in place (besides ASAP)? Mid-May?

Is there a wild guess how soon a GM is likely to be named? Or when one will really be needed to be in place (besides ASAP)? Mid-May?

Once they feel every possible contact has been interviewed they'll make a decision. I'm guessing the end of the playoffs at the latest.

They are definitely gonna want to talk to a lot of guys whose teams are still in the playoffs and they may not get permission to do so until they are eliminated.

There also might be some GM firings when teams get eliminated.

They are definitely gonna want to talk to a lot of guys whose teams are still in the playoffs and they may not get permission to do so until they are eliminated.

There also might be some GM firings when teams get eliminated.

That would be cuttin it close for UFA/RFA resignings/negotiations wouldnt it?

That would be cuttin it close for UFA/RFA resignings/negotiations wouldnt it?

If you are waiting on the fired guys, they'll all be fired after the 2nd round. Teams in the final four aren't firing the GM.

If you are waiting on the fired guys, they'll all be fired after the 2nd round. Teams in the final four aren't firing the GM.

Of course, sorry, still braindead from long weekend.

So has this Savard full-time hiring been officially announced yet? There are now side stories mentioning that he has denied this, nor has there been anything released by the organization as far as I've seen.

So has this Savard full-time hiring been officially announced yet? There are now side stories mentioning that he has denied this, nor has there been anything released by the organization as far as I've seen.

Nothing official at this time.

Nothing official at this time.

Good. Cuz as you guys pointed out earlier, no one but a rookie gm would accept having someone over them like that.

Not even guys like Julien Brisebois would place themselves in this mess. IMO, if Brisebois is hired, Savard is gone the next day.

Good. Cuz as you guys pointed out earlier, no one but a rookie gm would accept having someone over them like that.

Not even guys like Julien Brisebois would place themselves in this mess. IMO, if Brisebois is hired, Savard is gone the next day.

It depends on what Savard's role is, I think most GMs would accept having a VP and advisor above them, the role would be similar to John Davidson in St. Louis or Cliff Fletcher in Toronto, or Cam Neely in Boston, or Jimmy Devallano in Detroit, or Scotty Bowman in Chicago, or any number of people who have a VP and advisor role.

Its not as rare as you think.

Having a hockey guy VP over a GM is not a bad thing as long as they know their role and don't usurp the GM's power.

Having a hockey guy VP over a GM is not a bad thing as long as they know their role and don't usurp the GM's power.

I'm guessing it will enable the Habs to hire the best guy available and let Savard deal with all the PR crap that comes along with the job..Especially in the MTL fish bowl..

Edited by Blonde Demon

I'm guessing it will enable the Habs to hire the best guy available and let Savard deal with all the PR crap that comes along with the job..Especially in the MTL fish bowl..

Yeah if you have Savard there he could handle the French media if the GM is anglophone. That would make sense.

I can't wait to see who is picked haha, I'm contemplating growing a till gm is hired/draftday beard :P

Now that just sounds sad and so wrong. It's bad enough the habs didn't make the playoffs, but now fans are going from playoff beards to draft day beards.

Yeah if you have Savard there he could handle the French media if the GM is anglophone. That would make sense.

I can't wait to see who is picked haha, I'm contemplating growing a till gm is hired/draftday beard :P

• Upvote 1