Sept. 25 - Avs vs Habs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying we shouldn't trade Plekanex if a great offer arises, but Habs fans have a very cavalier attitude towards Plekanec.

"Oh, Plekanec? Meh, twenty goals a year, one of the best penalty killers in the league, plays big minutes and he's been on the team for like ten years...no biggie, just trade him for any twenty-five goal winger."

Most of the teams in the league could use a center like Plekanec. The only teams I can think of that don't are the Bruins and the Kings.

This is something I don't have an issue with. If the return is good, I could support a trade. Plekanec is 31, on the tail end of his prime. His defensive skills are such that he'll likely remain highly effective at them another 5-7 years, but his offense is going to start dropping off soon.

Good point. I don't question his work ethic. The guy is obviously an honest man. But I think that somehow he lost his vision of the play and is not able anymore to make plays in the offensive zone. It's just too fast for him now.

I'm not saying we shouldn't trade Plekanex if a great offer arises, but Habs fans have a very cavalier attitude towards Plekanec.

"Oh, Plekanec? Meh, twenty goals a year, one of the best penalty killers in the league, plays big minutes and he's been on the team for like ten years...no biggie, just trade him for any twenty-five goal winger."

Most of the teams in the league could use a center like Plekanec. The only teams I can think of that don't are the Bruins and the Kings.

Trading him wouldn't be my first choice. I think he's great. However, if you can trade him for a competent player a few years younger than he is, and get a few draft picks for Trevor Timmins to play with along with it, you ensure that Plekanec keeps helping Montreal win for the next 10-15 years instead of just the next 5.

Trading him wouldn't be my first choice. I think he's great. However, if you can trade him for a competent player a few years younger than he is, and get a few draft picks for Trevor Timmins to play with along with it, you ensure that Plekanec keeps helping Montreal win for the next 10-15 years instead of just the next 5.

Well, I doubt that Plekanec has as much value, but if a GM is ready to be very generous I would certainly have no objection.

Well, I doubt that Plekanec has as much value, but if a GM is ready to be very generous I would certainly have no objection.

Bergevin has no apparent trouble getting that exact type of deal done. (See Briere for Parenteau and a pick.)

Bergevin has no apparent trouble getting that exact type of deal done. (See Briere for Parenteau and a pick.)

Let's wait a bit to see if Parenteau is such a great addition. I would like it but if he is going to play like tonight he won't make much of a difference.

I can't figure out if PK had a good game or a bad one. 1 goal, 2 assists, but he was on the ice for both of Colorado's even strength goals.

Let's wait a bit to see if Parenteau is such a great addition. I would like it but if he is going to play like tonight he won't make much of a difference.

I don't think he'll be great. But he'll contribute more than Briere, at least in the regular season. Plus he's younger. And he came with a free draft pick.

It will happen, but probably not this year. The fact he was not chosen to sport the C tells a lot about where he stands in the future of the team. This is a business and he has become expandable. Why? Because of his contract and the value he still has on the market. Other guys will play his role.

we can make him bigger? hoo ray! just a joke i screw up typing all the time. :hyper:

we can make him bigger? hoo ray! just a joke i screw up typing all the time. :hyper:

His size is part of the problem. Having two small guys to centre our best lines is an obvious weakness. That's why I believe that we have to keep Eller at centre. He has size and can play physical. Chucky is not physical but he is big and not easy to play against.

We have to think about the kind of team we want to have in the playoffs. Bigger men at centre will help a lot.

Plekanec is a fraction of an inch under 6 feet tall, and nearly 200 lbs.

The fact that he's not a giant does not change the fact that he's the epitome of league average size.

He doesn't play "big", Eller does.

Well, we know that Eller can elevate his play when the stakes are high. How about Plekanec?

We know this beacuse of 1 playoffs where he shocked us all? as opposed to the absolutely crappy season he had? At this point I aint moving Plekanec unless we get some real talent in return.

It will happen, but probably not this year. The fact he was not chosen to sport the C tells a lot about where he stands in the future of the team. This is a business and he has become expandable. Why? Because of his contract and the value he still has on the market. Other guys will play his role.

I had only intended to reply to the first post but then I came across your second one and you did kind of contradict yourself there. In the first post you say he has value and then in the second one you say that he doesn't have much.

Just to play devil's advocate though, I've heard a lot of talk about Plekanec not being name captain demonstrating that he has no future with the team and that he will be traded eventually. Personally though, if I'm a GM, I'd have no problem naming a player captain who might be traded in the future. I don't think anyone can say for a fact that Bergevin is going to definitely trade him because he has to find a solid trading partner and return before that happens. With that being said, I think just the fact that he would have a "C" on his jersey would definitely increase his perceived value on the market and so I see no reason why it would be a negative thing to name Plekanec captain for this reason even if he were to be traded in the future. Save me all the "you don't/it's not as easy to trade your captain" talk as well because it is what it is.

On the topic of trading Plekanec, I'd rather not get too into it because I don't even think it should be a topic for discussion although since it does come up every season, I guess the odds are getting more likely that it will actually happen the more that time passes by.

I don't get the anti- plexs talk. To date, we've seen no decline in his play and at 31 he could maintain his role for the next 4-6 years. Plus, he drives the best players in the game bonkers when it really counts See: Crosby, Sidney.

First, Chucky has to earn a centre spot, then Eller has to develop some consistency and a better over all game....and then Plex's job might be on the line. Until then, I am anxiously awaiting serious issues like can MB wave his magic trade wand and make Bourke disappear in return for a player with value?

Also, regarding NHL center ice--in Qatar I only pay a 100usd

I had only intended to reply to the first post but then I came across your second one and you did kind of contradict yourself there. In the first post you say he has value and then in the second one you say that he doesn't have much.

Just to play devil's advocate though, I've heard a lot of talk about Plekanec not being name captain demonstrating that he has no future with the team and that he will be traded eventually. Personally though, if I'm a GM, I'd have no problem naming a player captain who might be traded in the future. I don't think anyone can say for a fact that Bergevin is going to definitely trade him because he has to find a solid trading partner and return before that happens. With that being said, I think just the fact that he would have a "C" on his jersey would definitely increase his perceived value on the market and so I see no reason why it would be a negative thing to name Plekanec captain for this reason even if he were to be traded in the future. Save me all the "you don't/it's not as easy to trade your captain" talk as well because it is what it is.

I

On the topic of trading Plekanec, I'd rather not get too into it because I don't even think it should be a topic for discussion although since it does come up every season, I guess the odds are getting more likely that it will actually happen the more that time passes by.

He has value, but not as much value as we think. It's always like that anyway. It's because of the contract those guys carry I suppose. Anyhow, I also wrote that I hope that a GM would like him to the point of being generous. Not much contradiction there. Just trying to be realistic.

I don't get the anti- plexs talk. To date, we've seen no decline in his play and at 31 he could maintain his role for the next 4-6 years. Plus, he drives the best players in the game bonkers when it really counts See: Crosby, Sidney.

First, Chucky has to earn a centre spot, then Eller has to develop some consistency and a better over all game....and then Plex's job might be on the line. Until then, I am anxiously awaiting serious issues like can MB wave his magic trade wand and make Bourke disappear in return for a player with value?

Also, regarding NHL center ice--in Qatar I only pay a 100usd

Looking at his stats, I see a decline.

From what I've seen this pre-season, Pleks needs to stay at center for now, but Chucky looks pretty good as well...

Thomas looks like he wants to make the show...

PK played just under 30 mins last nite...