Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Montreal Canadiens | February 9th, 2016 | 7:30 EST

Habsfan84

I can hear the Plekanec haters crawling back into their hole, awaiting the next time they can say he isn't worth his contract and needs to be traded.

Naw dude, first comes the "Trade him while he's hot and his value is up!" posts.

• Upvote 1

4 points out of the Playoffs. Just need one of Detroit, Boston, Tampa, NYI or Pittsburgh to go cold. Need to keep winning which is a tall order no doubt. Lots of variables at play still.

Here you go, trade Pleks while he is hot. I would. I would trade while he is cold too. He's a decent player, vanishes when the going gets tough. Don't get me started on DD.

Psst... Chris... The going is tough right now. And Plekanec has been our hottest player.

• Upvote 1

Trading plex would be management saying they are 100% selling. Considering our current situation (bad, but still possible to make the playoffs) I don't think I like what it would say about management of it were to happen. To me it would say they're a bunch of quitters. Backing out before it's even over.

Really? where was he been the rest of the year?

Give me one example of him stepping up in the playoffs?

I don't really even hate the guy, I think he is a good 2 way player, I think it's time to turn the page on him and several other players.

Pleks and Markov would get the habs the best return.

I stand to be corrected, but I believe that Pleks did the same thing last season. Started hot, had a big dip in production over December-January, then got on a roll. In fact, I remember posting on this site that I thought he was evaporating as a top-6 C - but his hot streak in the final third of the season or so shut me up.

I guess he's shutting me up again.

But I don't recall him having these long dips of uselessness earlier in his career. Regardless, he's no spring chicken at 33, so I think some skepticism is still warranted about him at $6 mil for the next two years. Honestly, he reminds me of Koivu in the tail end of his time with us. You could see the decline, but the numbers were still pretty good, and he successfully ran on fumes for a couple of more seasons. That may be where we are with ol' Pleks.

The deeper question remains the team's mediocrity at C. Even if we want to posit that Pleks remains a valid #2 C, Galchenyuk was his wing-man tonight. We need a better 1-2 punch down the middle than Pleks-Desharnais - THAT much is a no-brainer for sure.

I'm less worried about the team making a run and preventing The Tank than I am about said run being used to justify going into next season without correcting the structural weaknesses we've all been groaning about for the past two months. 'Look, Desharnais is producing again! - problem solved!!'

I think the next two weeks are telling. If we play well, and Price is ready to go... I think MB takes a shot at acquiring a centre like Eric Staal.

If he doesn't trade for him, I think he's gonna be making offers to both Staal and Stamkos on July 1st.

Whether thats a good move long term or not, I don't know. But MB knows getting a big centre isn't easy.

I think the next two weeks are telling. If we play well, and Price is ready to go... I think MB takes a shot at Eric Staal.

Whether thats a good move long term or not, I don't know.

I doubt it very much. On numbers alone, he's been declining for two straight years, and there's a lot of mileage there despite his relatively young age. But we come back to this question of The Window. If we see The Window in relatively narrow terms (2-3 years, tops) then we can't dick around much longer. We have to upgrade substantially on DD, and if Staal is the most realistic way to do that, well, do it and damn the longer- term consequences.

If we say, 'hey, this core has another 5-6 years before it starts to peter out,' then maybe you continue to play Waiting for Galchenyuk, or keep hoping some other opportunity will present itself.

I think the next two weeks are telling. If we play well, and Price is ready to go... I think MB takes a shot at acquiring a centre like Eric Staal.

If he doesn't trade for him, I think he's gonna be making offers to both Staal and Stamkos on July 1st.

Whether thats a good move long term or not, I don't know. But MB knows getting a big centre isn't easy.

if Price is ready to go in 2 weeks, I want some of the potion they are feeding him.

The false hope is great, but this team has little chance of making the playoffs, and even less chance of making a run.

-Upgrade Center

-Sell off Weiss, Flash (lol), Gilbert for picks to restock the cupboard.

-Fire MT

-Get another top-6 guy

That's my script from now until October. Like CC said, I could see a one month hot streak and a return of Price to justify more inactivity this summer.

2 months best in the NHL followed by 2 months worst in the NHL followed by... I am seeing a pattern develop. Problem being that by the pattern we will be dead cold again by the playoffs.......

Fingers still crossed, first season with an open window, had a real bad go of it but all is not lost yet. Get in, Carey healthy by then, we could do it. Long shot but there is a chance.

Guest Stogey24

I can hear the Plekanec haters crawling back into their hole, awaiting the next time they can say he isn't worth his contract and needs to be traded.

Why because he's had 2 good games? Really good games I should say.

Why because he's had 2 good games? Really good games I should say.

2 good games puts him on pace for 60 points on the season? Those must have been some games. How does Darryl Sittler feel about his record falling?

Oh wait, you mean it was more than 2 good games... good to know.

Guest Stogey24

2 good games puts him on pace for 60 points on the season? Those must have been some games. How does Darryl Sittler feel about his record falling?

Oh wait, you mean it was more than 2 good games... good to know.

I'm not going to start another argument about the guy. He had a couple good games, definitely not going to be mad if he can string some more together