Gomez playing in ECHL?

REV-G

I read in an article this morning by Eric Engels that Scott Gomez is playing on a team in the ECHL. Is that true? If it is I hadn't heard anything about that. Question: why the ECHL and not the AHL??

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read in an article this morning by Eric Engels that Scott Gomez is playing on a team in the ECHL. Is that true? If it is I hadn't heard anything about that. Question: why the ECHL and not the AHL??

I don't know if it's true, but if it is, it's probably because the AHL squads cut him :bonk:

I am 99% sure he did this last lockout too. There is an ECHL team in Alaska, its more about playing at home close to family and friends then the competition level.

Being from Alaska I can tell you that Scotty is well liked here. He Plays for the Alaska Aces and also has Nate Thompson, Brandon Dubinsky and Joey Crabb as teammates. They are all Alaska boys and it was an opportunity to play for the home crowd. At first Gomez was only practicing with the team, but as it became clear that the lockout was going to last he signed as well. Dubinsky broke his hand after a few games. Hope that helps

It's nice in theory for guys to go play in front of their home town crowds, but let's really think about this: The NHL players won't sign a CBA with the league because of money issues, yet here guys are playing for next to nothing, taking roster spots from guys who actually need the money. Sick.

It's nice in theory for guys to go play in front of their home town crowds, but let's really think about this: The NHL players won't sign a CBA with the league because of money issues, yet here guys are playing for next to nothing, taking roster spots from guys who actually need the money. Sick.

They are fighting for the right to be paid what they were agreed to be paid.

They are fighting for the right to be paid what they were agreed to be paid.

What's your point? Of course the players should be pissed about what the league is trying to do. The owners are being huge tools. That still doesn't make it right for millionaire players to protest the situation by taking jobs away from young players who are trying to make a living playing hockey and really need that job and money.

What's your point? Of course the players should be pissed about what the league is trying to do. The owners are being huge tools. That still doesn't make it right for millionaire players to protest the situation by taking jobs away from young players who are trying to make a living playing hockey and really need that job and money.

In other unions, when job losses occur, young people with low seniority are bumped out of their positions by those with more seniority.

This is no different, except that instead of seniority, the key factor is talent here.

This is pro hockey, the talented players get the jobs. Thats always the way its been for these guys (including the ones who lose their jobs) since they started playing competitive travel teams when they were 6 and 7 years old. Thats just the way it goes.

In other unions, when job losses occur, young people with low seniority are bumped out of their positions by those with more seniority.

This is no different, except that instead of seniority, the key factor is talent here.

This is pro hockey, the talented players get the jobs. Thats always the way its been for these guys (including the ones who lose their jobs) since they started playing competitive travel teams when they were 6 and 7 years old. Thats just the way it goes.

Gomez hasn't lost his job. He is part of a union that is choosing not to agree to a deal (albeit fully justified). Just think about it - all these players who choose to play in other leagues for less money are doing nothing but proving to the owners that they are willing to play for less money. It does nothing but hurt them at the bargaining table, while preventing others from earning a living playing the sport they love just as much as those who are already paid millions. It's one thing if these guys were actually out of a job and just trying find a new one, like in the situation you brought up. That is simply not the case here.

That is simply not the case here.

I'll admit, I'm not a fan of NHLers taking jobs from other players.

That said, they would all be in the NHL playing (well, not Gomez) if the NHL just extended the existing CBA.

Plus it's sort of nice for the Alaska Aces to get all of their best active Alaskan hockey players all in one place.

Where I disagree is that this hurts them at the bargaining table. It doesn't. It's NHLers proving that NHL players are the best in the world and they can dominate any league they play in. That makes it clear to the NHL that they can never bring in scabs (which they technically cannot in a lockout) to try and prove that it's the team labels that people pay to see.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha ha, even in the lockout, Gomez continues to haunt us all. :bonk: Perhaps the ONLY good thing about this whole mess is that I've hardly spent two minutes even thinking about that putz.

if they pass the new cba with the buyout clause, he will be able to afford to stay in the echl. And we could get 2 good players for what we are paying him.

If the lockout does end, I'll be tossing together an article explaining how the bolded part won't be the case beyond the 2012-13 season. Yes, Gomez being off the books would help but with a proposed $60 M cap with no rollbacks for 2013-14, the Habs (even with Gomez's deal gone) would be in huge difficulty cap wise...as would about half the league. If this does happen as proposed, prepare for a large influx of players playing for the league minimum - although I'm sure some on here would argue that a league minimum player would be better than Gomez anyway.

thanks for the info, I guess we will be seeing some of draft choices a little earlier than we thought. That may not be a bad thing. But how do we get rid of some of the deadwood beyond gomez? Kaberle for instance?