Oct. 18, Avs vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

MB signed Brierre to start last season. MT had brierre on the fourth line and healthy scratch before October was up.

MB signed Gilbert to start this season. I dont see a difference in what is "tough to swallow" for MB .......nor would scratching Gilbert make MT "an idiot"

Let's say there is a limit to what you can do. Obviously Gilbert will get a very good try to prove himself.

Guest Stogey24

Let's say there is a limit to what you can do. Obviously Gilbert will get a very good try to prove himself.

Beaulieu and Tinordi are both ready for the NHL. Beaulieu has played well and Tinordi is proving that he can be an asset to this team. These kids are knocking and if Gilbert doesn't clean his game up, he will find himself as the 7th D-man. It's very early, but his contract isn't a tough one to swallow if he's sitting in press box. He'll for sure get a good long look though.

Beaulieu and Tinordi are both ready for the NHL. Beaulieu has played well and Tinordi is proving that he can be an asset to this team. These kids are knocking and if Gilbert doesn't clean his game up, he will find himself as the 7th D-man. It's very early, but his contract isn't a tough one to swallow if he's sitting in press box. He'll for sure get a good long look though.

Agreed, there are at least 8 regulars on the team behind Tinordi in scoring, and he's played less games, has dished out hits, has battled like a veteran, and has chucked the dukes as well, and all impressively.... he's a lot better defenseman than 3 or 4 guys we used last year.

And the Moen thing, I like his game, and he has been the best hitter on forward, and we need his defensive awareness more than last year. If they are showcasing him for a trade, I'm not so sure I would be behind that at this point....

Even veteran defencemen struggle when playing on their wrong side. You'd be setting Beaulieu up for failure and possible long-term damage to his development. Forget it.

Good point. Management showing incredible patience with the D. That is a good thing...... big picture

sure, veteran defensemen have trouble switching. but beaulieu is an elite skater. he might be quicker than 90% of nhl dmen. that alone could make the transition a bit easier. if it doesn't break him, the switch could develop his game even further by playing more comfortably anywhere in the d-zone. just a thought, I could be wrong, no big whoop

We played Tinordi a few times on the RD and it was ugly.

It's possible that Emelin is better on the RD if he continues to be erratic with Subban, but that could still just be chemistry issues.

If Emelin did move back to RD, then you could see something like:

Tinordi/Beaulieu - Subban

Markov - Emelin

Beaulieu/Tinordi - Weaver/Gilbert

I'm surprised with this talk of sitting Gilbert. Look at his ice time, 22:34 per game, good for third on the team. The coaches clearly have a lot of confidence in him to play him that much so don't expect him to be sitting any time soon.

• Upvote 2

markov/subban

beaulieu/emelin or vice versa

tinordi/gilbert

weaver

I just think nb + jt have been out-playing both weaver, gilbert and at times, emelin. some here don't think that it's a good idea having two rookie defensemen in the lineup..but when they're out-playing those ahead of them, why not?

I'm surprised with this talk of sitting Gilbert. Look at his ice time, 22:34 per game, good for third on the team. The coaches clearly have a lot of confidence in him to play him that much so don't expect him to be sitting any time soon.

Gilbert was always gonna be a tough sell for fans. He doesn't look much different to a guy we dumped unceremoniously (Diaz) and sometimes reminds guys of another puck moving defenceman who was drawn and quartered by Habs fans (Brisebois). Gilbert is the anti-Gorges. He doesn't do all of the visually obvious defensive plays like blocking shots and throwing himself in corners to retrieve a puck (something Gorges always did and was honestly terrible at ever gaining possession from). Gilbert also loses the puck as much as he steals it, and steals that don't immediately convert into goals get forgotten compared to when the puck is taken from him. But where Malhotra takes defensive zone faceoffs to help Plekanec play more offence, Gilbert helps Markov not having to be the only guy to carry the puck out to the opposing zone when we do get possession. That's a big reason why Markov has looked great for us early and honestly been our best D. He doesn't have to defend a player, get the puck, carry the puck then get into position. Less work, more focus.

I'm not 100% convinced on him but I'm much happier to pay $2.8M for two years on what he brings than Anton Stralman $4.5M for five seasons of what he brings.

Also, not to say the Habs have been strong defensively so far (they haven't been) but fans are still extremely hard on our D core at all times without looking around the league and seeing the six D for other teams. We're Top 10 for defence on average in this league whether you believe it or not.

• Upvote 1

Beaulieu/Tinordi are outplaying Gilbert are they? Both have been playing sheltered minutes and are - players, whereas Gilbert playing top 4 minutes 'adequately' and hasn't been hurting team (although I am not sure what his game is really like, given only very short stint of 6 games and I never really noticed him much before on Oil/Panthers)

Would I use permanent ink on roster name of Tinordi, darn tootin! but it would be Weaver that get the short end of stick.

Gilbert was always gonna be a tough sell for fans. He doesn't look much different to a guy we dumped unceremoniously (Diaz) and sometimes reminds guys of another puck moving defenceman who was drawn and quartered by Habs fans (Brisebois). Gilbert is the anti-Gorges. He doesn't do all of the visually obvious defensive plays like blocking shots and throwing himself in corners to retrieve a puck (something Gorges always did and was honestly terrible at ever gaining possession from). Gilbert also loses the puck as much as he steals it, and steals that don't immediately convert into goals get forgotten compared to when the puck is taken from him. But where Malhotra takes defensive zone faceoffs to help Plekanec play more offence, Gilbert helps Markov not having to be the only guy to carry the puck out to the opposing zone when we do get possession. That's a big reason why Markov has looked great for us early and honestly been our best D. He doesn't have to defend a player, get the puck, carry the puck then get into position. Less work, more focus.

I'm not 100% convinced on him but I'm much happier to pay $2.8M for two years on what he brings than Anton Stralman $4.5M for five seasons of what he brings.

Also, not to say the Habs have been strong defensively so far (they haven't been) but fans are still extremely hard on our D core at all times without looking around the league and seeing the six D for other teams. We're Top 10 for defence on average in this league whether you believe it or not.

Interesting. And don't forget that five players (six including the goalie) should be involved in the defensive zone, not only two. A lot of times so far this season I got the impression that the forwards were not doing their job to help the defensemen.

Beaulieu/Tinordi are outplaying Gilbert are they? Both have been playing sheltered minutes and are - players, whereas Gilbert playing top 4 minutes 'adequately' and hasn't been hurting team (although I am not sure what his game is really like, given only very short stint of 6 games and I never really noticed him much before on Oil/Panthers)

Would I use permanent ink on roster name of Tinordi, darn tootin! but it would be Weaver that get the short end of stick.

+1. Great post.

subject change: What's going on with Dale Weise?!

I think had Moen not played really well against Boston, Weise would have been back in on Saturday. Given that Moen played well against Colorado as well, there's no guarantee he'll be back in tomorrow either.

That's an excellent point. Look at what Boston paid for Kaberle, (and Rutherford) and the lengths they go to sheltering Krug. Puck moving defensemen are expensive, under three million for Gilbert is a great deal.

I was surprised MT didn't play Weise against the Bruins just to send the message that he was not intimidated by Lucic

That didn't sit well with me. Weise looked like he was humiliated standing there in his suit during pregame ceremonies. Moen was in to shore up the PK, but Wise sitting made the whole team look gutless.