Cole dealt for Michael Ryder

nhfarber

Ryder gets #73 back, Gallagher switches to #11. I believe he wore that number while while the Vancouver Giants in junior.

So what number does Gallagher take when we trade for Koivu? ;)

This may be a joke, but I expect IF we make a play for one of the 2 big Anaheim guys at the deadline (which is very very very low possibility) MB would try to take Koivu as well. He seems to be a heart-an-soul guy, bringing back 2 ex-habs that loved it when they were here. Who better than Saku? While I wouldn't expect much out of Saku, I think he would fit nicely on our 2nd/3rd line.

Perry + Koivu

for

DD + Weber + Gionta + Leblanc + 2nd round

Bourque - Pleks - Perry

Patches - Koivu - Ryder

Chucky - Eller - Gally

Moen - White - Prust

Never gonna happen, but gotta admit, it looks nice.

Good question. His WJC number is retired and the inverse of it is in use while his Hamilton number is in use and one of the other prospects (Leblanc) has the inverse of that.

Would people have preferred Simon Gagne? Apparently he was another choice...

Definitely not! That would be entirely a language trade.

I like Cole, but don't sell Ryder short. Ryder is a closer which should give our power play some options. What is impressive is the options MB will have next year. One of those options would be to reup Ryder if he makes good. There is also a third round pick coming our way, which of Dallas's three thirds the pick is,I don't know.

It's their own 3rd

Back from Boston Bruins' section on HFBoards.

Members over there are not happy about us getting Ryder. Lot of them wanted him back.

They generally think that the Habs made a very good deal unloading Cole's contract.

:)

Back from Boston Bruins' section on HFBoards.

Members over there are not happy about us getting Ryder. Lot of them wanted him back.

They generally think that the Habs made a very good deal unloading Cole's contract.

:)

Basically the lot convinced themselves that Ryder was gonna be a Bruin at the deadline.

For some reason they saw Cole as zero value which is just dumb Bruin logic.

Hard to argue with this deal...players of similar value statistically, except Ryder is 2 years younger, cheaper and comes off the cap at year end. Plus they get a third round pick. Makes you wonder if Cole would have netted a first round pick...

Habs are a mirage this year...I'd have preferred the 1st rounder if it was possible.

Either way a great organizational trade IMHO.

This trade makes sense for all kinds of financial reasons, but it's hard to argue that we are a better team with Ryder rather than Cole. Is there any reason unloading Cole's contract couldn't have waited until the summer?

Yes... They had a buyer. If Cole continued to suck, he would not be tradable.

This trade makes sense for all kinds of financial reasons, but it's hard to argue that we are a better team with Ryder rather than Cole. Is there any reason unloading Cole's contract couldn't have waited until the summer?

Had they waited until the summer, they probably would have had to take money back beyond this season. If the motives for the trade were primarily financial as many have speculated, waiting would have failed to accomplish that objective.

Had they waited until the summer, they probably would have had to take money back beyond this season. If the motives for the trade were primarily financial as many have speculated, waiting would have failed to accomplish that objective.

And yet, was it worth it to take a part out of our team while we were leading the conference? I know he wasn't producing that well, but even then, he does much more than Ryder does. His hustle, size and checking ability seemed to be exactly the kind of thing Therrien's system is all about. Ryder seems like a bad choice for this team, considering he doesn't really do anything when he isn't scoring. It has shown throughout 2 games.

And yet, was it worth it to take a part out of our team while we were leading the conference? I know he wasn't producing that well, but even then, he does much more than Ryder does. His hustle, size and checking ability seemed to be exactly the kind of thing Therrien's system is all about. Ryder seems like a bad choice for this team, considering he doesn't really do anything when he isn't scoring. It has shown throughout 2 games.

It all comes down to what the primary motive for the trade was. I think it was more financial than anything, regardless of what's being said publicly. If that's the case, then the impact on the current roster was secondary.

I think ya gotta give the guy more than 2 games to settle in. Lets face people wanted to fire mt before the season began, those gripes seem to have disapated.

Does Ryder sign in Montreal next year? I guess it depends on what happens before the trade deadline and if there's more youth on the way up from Hamilton (Bournival, Leblanc).

My gut tells me no.

Does Ryder sign in Montreal next year? I guess it depends on what happens before the trade deadline and if there's more youth on the way up from Hamilton (Bournival, Leblanc).

My gut tells me no.

Likely not. He's going to make good money on his last UFA contract.