Weise and Fleischmann traded to Chicago

dlbalr

Decent return. My guess is that MB took a later 2nd instead of a third this year or next. Or it's possible that Chicago didn't have the picks from their many deadline deals over the years.

Philip Danault...ahh, I'll have to see him play. One career goal in 33 regular season games, .5 PPG in the minors, 6'0 200 lbs. Sounds like most of the roster as is. I'm not sure where he fits in, though he'll probably get an audition this year.

Decent return. My guess is that MB took a later 2nd instead of a third this year or next. Or it's possible that Chicago didn't have the picks from their many deadline deals over the years.

Philip Danault...ahh, I'll have to see him play. One career goal in 33 regular season games, .5 PPG in the minors, 6'0 200 lbs. Sounds like most of the roster as is. I'm not sure where he fits in, though he'll probably get an audition this year.

Danault has been a regular for Chicago for most of this year (he missed a bunch of time early with injuries). He'll surely be up with the Habs the rest of the way.

Admittedly I have never seen Danault play and I know basically nothing about him but based on looking at his numbers and TSN bio I am disappointed. Weiss would have been an ideal player to fill a spot on the third line. Maybe after a brief chat they figured it was going to cost way to much.

If he wasn't injured, Mtl should have thrown in the third member of that line as well, since they started the season so strong together.

Underwhelming. 2nd rounder from Chicago is like a 3rd rounder anyways, would have preferred picks now.

Underwhelming. 2nd rounder from Chicago is like a 3rd rounder anyways, would have preferred picks now.

I'm impressed they actually got a 2nd. I didn't think they would. I thought Weise would get a 3rd, Fleischmann a 5th. This trumps that, even if my hypothetical returns would have been 2016 picks.

I like the trade. Second rounder for a guy that cost us Raphael Diaz plus a 23 year old that was formerly a first round pick in 2011.

Exactly. Not to mention Flash was signed in camp to a pto. Smart signing. Good return.

Philip Danault and a 2018 2nd coming back Montreal's way.

Montreal retains 30% of Weise's salary in the trade.

http://www.habsworld.net/2016/02/habs-trade-weise-and-fleischmann-to-chicago/

Oh fork, have we not already seen this picture show? We keep salary? I don't know but I guess we now know we are sellers. We is the tankers.

Oh fork, have we not already seen this picture show? We keep salary? I don't know but I guess we now know we are sellers. We is the tankers.

Why does keeping salary matter? He's a UFA in the summer.... it won't be on our books next year. The only reason we kept salary is that chicago is so tight against the cap they wouldn't have been able to make the deal anyways.

Keeping salary has no effect on next season, and this season doesn't matter any more.

I like the deal I didn't really think Fleischmann had much value he was struggling for a long period of time. As for Weise I thought his max value was a 2nd round pick. We basically got a guy that looks like he should be an NHL regular in the bottom 6 and a 2nd round pick so overall I'd say we made out pretty good.

I don't mind the bringing in another bottom 6 player since we just traded away 2 of them. Hopefully we can improve the bottom 6 while lowering the aav of the bottom 6. We can then actually reallocate funds to the top 6 and maybe bring in some real offensive threats.

• Upvote 1

Why does keeping salary matter? He's a UFA in the summer.... it won't be on our books next year. The only reason we kept salary is that chicago is so tight against the cap they wouldn't have been able to make the deal anyways.

Keeping salary has no effect on next season, and this season doesn't matter any more.

Ok I thought he had another year on his contract. So yup you are right.

For those curious, Blackhawks fans say Danault regularly plays RW.

He averages over 12 faceoffs per game this year so he appears to have spent a big chunk of time at centre as well.

We should be playing this after the trade deadline:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Carr - Plekanec - Andrighetto

Byron - Mitchell - Danault

De la Rose - Flynn - McCarron

Carr is out for the season. Flynn is out until the end of March.

• Upvote 1

Look for Weise to kick ass in the playoffs. He's always been a guy whose focus drifts in and out, and who periodically starts to confuse himself with a skilled player. But once he recommits to his proper role as a grinder, he is excellent and adds unexpected offence to boot.

Flash is harder to figure, but he'll probably have some good games in the dance; veterans running on fumes seldom can survive 82 games, but usually can raise their game for the playoffs.

I'd have preferred to get back a guy with the potential, at least, to play in the top lines, but obviously that's wishful thinking as a return for these role players.

He averages over 12 faceoffs per game this year so he appears to have spent a big chunk of time at centre as well.

He hasn't been very good. Unless Therrien thinks he has something there, it'll be like how Calgary used to play Byron at centre. Nothing we're going to see.

To a lot of Blackhawks fans, Danault was the insurance in case Krueger walked. With Danault traded, they now expect Chicago to re-sign Krueger.