Brendan Gallagher Signs Contract Extension

Lovett's Magnatones

Why no bridge? Bridge deals are for superstars who are continually improving. While I think Gally still has some room under his ceiling, he's never going to be THE guy, so when the opportunity comes up to sign him so incredibly cheap (and with the cap as it is, with more potential to go up in the future) for long-term, how could you not? This deal, IMHO, is a home run, grand slam style.

Yep. Just to have a guy like that is worth the money in inspiration for other players....

I don't know what Galchenyuk 'should' be offered nor what kind of deal is best, dlbalr seems much more versed in realistic options Bergevin may table.

And really don't care, a short/long deal for moderate or large amount of $$ is fine by me, I don't pay him and assume he will get a fitting amount.

Galy would be crazy not to take a bridge deal. Up to this point, he has been a marginally less productive player than Gallagher without any of Gallagher's phenomenal intangibles and leadership. Based purely on performance, he should be paid less than Gallagher. Yet he - or so goes the common belief - has clear-cut potential to become a PPG player. If I'm MB, I'd be leery of locking him up for more than what Gally got, in case he never pans out; and if I'm Galchenyuk, no way do I short-change my own potential by that much. That's a prototypical case where a bridge deal makes sense for both sides.

I don't know what Galchenyuk 'should' be offered nor what kind of deal is best, dlbalr seems much more versed in realistic options Bergevin may table.

And really don't care, a short/long deal for moderate or large amount of $$ is fine by me, I don't pay him and assume he will get a fitting amount.

Ya know you are right. A lot of get all excited by what the Habs pay their players, but they have a capologist, and many bright minds to figure this out. Who cares what they pay as long as we win and don't lose good players over $.

• Upvote 1

I think that would be over 2 years, not 3.

Galchenyuk won't be able to argue for a bridge of more $$$ than Johansen so about the biggest cap hit we could worry about is $4M over three years.