Feb. 3, Senators vs Habs, 2 PM

dlbalr

When the best way to describe the officiating is "creative," that's a telling sign. Poor officiating all around. That was probably the most evenly played game we've seen this year, close checking but some good chances on either side. 6-2 to start the year (2-0 with my new GDT's too), I can't say I saw that coming a few weeks ago.

my wife's maiden name is Eller therefore I'm not permitted to say anything bad about Lars.

Aside from Eller's hug penalty, I thought he played a damn good game. However, he's pushed out of the top nine and will likely be injury depth. I disagree with anyone saying Prust should be moved off the Gally's line. He gives them confidence and works hard to get them pucks. Eller might bring more offensive flair but if a situation like Ott trying to intimidate Gallagher happens again, what the hell is Lars Eller going to do?

The game itself was a goaltending battle and should have went to a shootout. That goal being disallowed was embarrassing. Even worse since it was Andre Benoit who scored and he worked really hard to make it to the NHL through the Canadiens and just couldn't and is now finding some success with Ottawa.

That said, great to see Cole and Desharnais producing, still feel Pacioretty came back too early but wow what a Wolverine.

• Upvote 1

Obiviously I am pleased about the record to start the season. However, I am just as excited that watching the Habs have become interesting again. I don't know what happened to this team last year but I am really glad it (appears) to have come to an end. Lets hear it for work ethic and desire to win!

I like our team this year... quite a lot. Good balance, good skill, good speed.. from top to bottom. The last tweak I'd like to see is on the 4th line : Armstrong brings nothing - no toughness, little skill, pas de fierte, manque de chien, rien. I'd like to see Gabriel Dumont in that spot. Dumont would bring more tenacity and offensive upside... someone for Eller to make plays to. Then our lineup would be cemented.

Dumont is 5'8.

You have Desharnais on the first line, Gionta on the second, Gallagher on the third.

You can't have a midget on every freaking line.

Eller is completely being wasted on the 4th line - he is not going to be in a position to succeed. I really think we should have Galy squared with either Eller, wolverine or cole. Galy squared looked dynamite on the 4-3 PP.

We really have a chance to to have all 3 top lines being serious threats and then would have prust, Moen, white and Armstrong competing for the 4th line.

When Chris Neil was punching Galchenyuk in the back of the head during a scrum, and Prust goes over and challenges him and Neil got all shy and skated away, you see why he's on that line.

what is with the reffing. They just call whatever the heck they like? The goalie interference call was bs. The ref checking patches? Boullion enbellishing? When will we get professional refs? Where have all the good refs gone? Any way we got a little lucky tonite, but we will take it. Could someone please teach plekanic how to score on a breakaway? He has got to be the league leader in missed close attempts, just amazing. I am not bitching just commenting. Very happy to be where we are. :habslogo:

When Chris Neil was punching Galchenyuk in the back of the head during a scrum, and Prust goes over and challenges him and Neil got all shy and skated away, you see why he's on that line.

Yep. Frankly, it's more important that we develop Galy properly than Eller. Therrien has thus far (and it's very, very early) done a masterful job of putting the kid in a position to succeed, and Prust has been an integral part of that. Do NOT mess with success when it comes to this kid. Only if he hits an extended slump would I try bumping him.

Eller, meanwhile, has issues that go beyond his linemates. He has to learn to play with intensity every shift, every night. Rather than make excuses (it's his linemates' fault!) let him force his way into the top-9. If he plays with drive, makes things happen instead of being a passenger, he will get his chance.

Yep. Frankly, it's more important that we develop Galy properly than Eller. Therrien has thus far (and it's very, very early) done a masterful job of putting the kid in a position to succeed, and Prust has been an integral part of that. Do NOT mess with success when it comes to this kid. Only if he hits an extended slump would I try bumping him.

Eller, meanwhile, has issues that go beyond his linemates. He has to learn to play with intensity every shift, every night. Rather than make excuses (it's his linemates' fault!) let him force his way into the top-9. If he plays with drive, makes things happen instead of being a passenger, he will get his chance.

So he gets 3 points in a game and instead of staying in the top 9, he gets bumped to 3rd line? I'd hate to trade him because we have too many bodies and have him light it up elsewhere.

I don't see why having a physical guys like Cole or wolverwine play with Galy squared is a bad thing?

YOu deal with that by going having Prust start punching Karlsson

So he gets 3 points in a game and instead of staying in the top 9, he gets bumped to 3rd line? I'd hate to trade him because we have too many bodies and have him light it up elsewhere.

I don't see why having a physical guys like Cole or wolverwine play with Galy squared is a bad thing?

YOu deal with that by going having Prust start punching Karlsson

Cole won't stand up for Galy squared like Prust will. I like our top-9 like it is that game. As for Eller, yeah he did have a 3-point game and he did get bumped. We've watched Eller for 2 years now, and in 2 years there's been nothing to show after a 3-poitn game, he'll come back and do it again. He had his shifts on the PP and didn't do anything with it.

I totally and completely disagree with the mentality "You go after my stars I'll go after yours." Neil went after Gallagher, Prust had words with him and Neil didn't go after Gallagher again. The Star-for-Star mentality is how unnecessary injuries happen in the spirit of revenge. The best way to deal with a problem is deal with the problem, not pissing the problem off.

There's also Gallagher to consider. Right now we're watching two rookies blossom with Prust. Leave that alone.

Consistency has been Eller's bugbear all right. It's funny that TB brings that up, because after Eller's outburst last night one of my first thoughts was, 'OK, now he'll figure he's made his point and go back to doing diddly-squat for the next 15 games.' I don't know if that's fair, but it does illustrate the impression he's been making.

And no, I'm not saying to get rid of him. I just think getting him to switch to a more proactive mentality will take time.

Wow. We are finally the beneficiaries of a call and people here are embarrassed? Karma, people. Karma. It's about time we were the recipients of a little dumb-ass reffing since it routinely costs us.

Wow. We are finally the beneficiaries of a call and people here are embarrassed? Karma, people. Karma. It's about time we were the recipients of a little dumb-ass reffing since it routinely costs us.
So true. But I like to think it's the quality of our posters. Nobody's pouring beer on Leaf fans, or cheering for injuries like Bruins fans. Ottawa got the shaft.

It's hard to see a slot for Eller in the top 9 right now. The Gallys are flying and Prust is potentiating that by banging for them, protecting them, and giving them the confidence such a veteran presence brings to a line. Eller can't offer that. It's a nice problem to have really. Lars fit in nicely while Patches was out. Great to have options. There's no way we trade Eller anytime soon. His value is as low as it will ever be. He may well develop into a Plek's quality two way centre.

He will get his chance when one of the top 9 goes down to a serious injury.

My only issue with MT's treatment of him so far is underuse on the PK. Same goes for Moen. Pleks, Eller and Moen are the best PK forwards we've got. I'm sick of seeing Armstrong in that role. Prust I can handle. But Eller is excellent on the PK and his underuse there is stupid.

So true. But I like to think it's the quality of our posters. Nobody's pouring beer on Leaf fans, or cheering for injuries like Bruins fans. Ottawa got the shaft.

Pouring beer on Leaf fans? What a waste! Toast their constant incompetence!

We've been on the wrong end of those calls so many times that when it's in our favor we still have rotting feelings of how it felt and hard to let go. Overall that game was beyond poorly officiated. The word "horseshit" comes to mind. Right now the league should be embarrassed about that disgraceful job.

Absolutely. The referees giveth and the referees taketh away. Enjoy this one, because it is sure to go the other way sometime this season.

Dumont is 5'8.

You have Desharnais on the first line, Gionta on the second, Gallagher on the third.

You can't have a midget on every freaking line.

Sorry canajun, but Commandant is absolutely right. We have enough midgets on this team, and there's no reason to think that Dumont would do any better than Armstrong. In fact, I like the way Armstrong has played thus far. Our 4th line is our energy line. There' not there to sscore, but to make sure our team is respected, they bring energy (which they do) and to "take care" of certain problems that might occur on the ice. Lastly, the team hasn't even played 10 games yet...we're off to the best start we've had in a long time, and you wanna replace Armstrong?

Obiviously I am pleased about the record to start the season. However, I am just as excited that watching the Habs have become interesting again. I don't know what happened to this team last year but I am really glad it (appears) to have come to an end. Lets hear it for work ethic and desire to win!

Agreed! The habs are fun to watch again. I HATED the passive aggressive style that Jacques Martin preached. I hated that our guys were always on the defensive.

I love the fact that more often than not, we're forechecking with 2 guys, which puts alot of pressure on the opposing teams defensmen, which in turn makes it harder for the opposing team to get organized and attack our zone. It also causes alot of turnovers in our favour. Its pretty damn hard for opposing teams to score on us when they're 180 feet from our net!

No doubt about it. Our posters are knowledgeable fans and have no problem admiting when our guys got a lucky call. There's no doubt that the second Hens goal was good, but that's not our problem! Take them when they come!