Habs sign G Michael McNiven

JoeLassister

I'm glad he got a contract. I think he has a bit of upside and it's not like the Habs can't use some more goalie depth. Here's my write-up on the deal: http://www.habsworld.net/2015/09/habs-sign-michael-mcniven-to-a-three-year-contract/

For those who want to read a bit more, here's an interview with him from December: http://www.hockeyprospect.com/2015-nhl-draft-prospect-michael-mcniven/

As I'm still in the middle of doing the prospect rankings, I've gone back and added McNiven to one of the three articles already posted. (I won't say where though, you can read the columns to find out for yourself...)

And now that he's armed with a contract, back to junior he goes as he's the first cut from training camp.

They just brought him to camp to say HI ? Oh well long as he had fun, he's a ways a way.

They just brought him to camp to say HI ? Oh well long as he had fun, he's a ways a way.

He's been with the team for the last two and a half weeks between the rookie tourney, the rookie 'camp' (a couple of practices after the tournament), and for the last week and a half with the main camp (skating with the B/C groups). That's a fair bit of time for someone who had no chance of playing in the preseason. Obviously, the plan was to keep him around until they made a decision to keep or release him. Now they've made that decision so get him back to juniors where he'll be available to play tomorrow. Maybe even tonight if they sent him back earlier and just announced it now (Owen Sound's season starts tonight).

He's been with the team for the last two and a half weeks between the rookie tourney, the rookie 'camp' (a couple of practices after the tournament), and for the last week and a half with the main camp (skating with the B/C groups). That's a fair bit of time for someone who had no chance of playing in the preseason. Obviously, the plan was to keep him around until they made a decision to keep or release him. Now they've made that decision so get him back to juniors where he'll be available to play tomorrow. Maybe even tonight if they sent him back earlier and just announced it now (Owen Sound's season starts tonight).

That makes sense, his going back to play. With the season opening makes perfect sense.

Owen Sound just traded away last year's starter so McNiven should be the full time #1 moving forward. That's good news.

Well then they need him back right now. I am sure he will get so great devolment time, which only bodes well for the future.

Once you send an 18 year old back to juniors without a contract, he re-enters the draft and no one can sign him. They kept him up to make that decision. Once he was signed to an elc, he became habs property and could safely be sent back to junior.

I think he has some real potential, watching him play, he's calm and covers the net well, and at 6'4", he's not the guy you throw away to keep Tokarski, that's for sure.