Cole dealt for Michael Ryder

nhfarber

I like Cole, but don't sell Ryder short. Ryder is a closer which should give our power play some options. What is impressive is the options MB will have next year. One of those options would be to reup Ryder if he makes good. There is also a third round pick coming our way, which of Dallas's three thirds the pick is,I don't know.

according to nhl.com : http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=657639&navid=nhl:topheads

appears to be Dallas 3rd round pick ( not sure if official )

Interesting trade:

1. free up cap space

2. PP boost

3. Ryder playing for a contract next year

Cole, has the speed, physical play, but slow start, and 2 years on contract.

I see it, as SHORT term need ( PP) and scoring, with LONG TERM: cap space relief and 3rd round pick in a deep draft year!!

We're not thinking the Ducks deal either of those guys this year, right?

They're easily a playoff team, 2 excellent goalies, short season where anything

can happen, & Perry just now turning back into Corey Perry.

I'd LOVE to see either of these guys suit up for the Habs.

I'm all in on chasing them hard after the season.

But realistically, we won't see either dealt while the Ducks are playing the way they are.

My first reaction was to say...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

NOw that I've had a few minutes to think about it, I was surprised to find out the Ryder has as many points as Cole last year. PLeasantly surprised. What bothers me though is that we're getting smaller again. We desperately need Cole's size and speed.

With Deharnais, Gionta, Gallagher and Plex up front, we needed to get bigger, not smaller.

I see everyone talking about this being a prelude to some other trade. I sure hope that's the case, cause when we'll be facing the bruins, unless we can find some size somewhere, they're gonna beat our asses.

I see everyone talking about this being a prelude to some other trade. I sure hope that's the case, cause when we'll be facing the bruins, unless we can find some size somewhere, they're gonna beat our asses.

Boston never kicked our asses when Ryder was on our team and kicked our ass when Ryder was on their team ;)

Yeah Coles suck except when he plays the Habs.

we're not playing Dallas this season, so we're good!

Loved Cole, but this deal makes lots of sense. Ryder will do the job this year. Lots of flexibility this Summer. Great trade.

I think we lose this trade short term. With Bourque injured and Cole replaced by Ryder, we've lost size and physicality on the wings. Cole is the power forward, where Ryder is more a shooter.

Long term, i think this is a good move for a rebuilding club. Adds an extra pick and removes a 34 year old with a big money contract. Winning long term has everything to do with how we use the extra cap space though. It must be a smart signing or we will lose the deal.

A full write up though... http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/02/26/instant-analysis-michael-ryder-traded-to-montreal-erik-cole-to-dallas/

The cap savings is obviously a big factor here, as is Therrien familiarity with Ryder. Will be interesting to see how the lines may change after this deal.

Therrien was gone before Ryder played for the Habs.

We might see Gionta and Ryder flip. I wonder what happens when Bourque gets back....

This could partially have been about getting another winger for Pleks. Bourque/Pleks were playing good, but Gionta wasn't adding much to that line.

Bourque - Pleks - Ryder

Wolvie - DD - Gally

Prust/Chucky - Prust/Chucky - Gionta

Moen - White - Armstrong

Thats still no Eller, which is another reason I believe there is another move in place. I could easily see Gionta go to make room for Eller, or Gionta and Eller go for a big move. Overall I get the sense from the move that we're either going to make a big move for a big name before the trade deadline, or we're setting up for a big name during free agency. I think Getzlaf or Perry isn't a big stretch.

A couple of notes from The Fourth Period. It appears talks started about 10 days ago, around the same time Dallas was beginning to mull over whether or not to extend Ryder.

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/306564645752283136

As for the deal, Cole agreed to it around 3:30. (We heard it just after 6, in case anyone's wondering how long these things can take...)

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/306568567023865856

Boston never kicked our asses when Ryder was on our team and kicked our ass when Ryder was on their team ;)

Agreed, however the BRuins weren't as big back then...and they weren't as good either!

Like Commandant mentions, With Bourque out with a concussion and COle traded, we've gotten alot smaller. That has been our biggest problem over the past 4 years. We need to get bigger!

I think we lose this trade short term. With Bourque injured and Cole replaced by Ryder, we've lost size and physicality on the wings. Cole is the power forward, where Ryder is more a shooter.

Long term, i think this is a good move for a rebuilding club. Adds an extra pick and removes a 34 year old with a big money contract. Winning long term has everything to do with how we use the extra cap space though. It must be a smart signing or we will lose the deal.

A full write up though... http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/02/26/instant-analysis-michael-ryder-traded-to-montreal-erik-cole-to-dallas/

Therrien was gone before Ryder played for the Habs.

Good point. This move is good for a rebuilding club. So the question is probably "Are we really battling for 1st in the East or a 15th team rebuilding?"

I'd think a little of both.

Ryder has just as many points as Plekanec. Does it make sense to play him on the 13 minute line?

i think so... the habs have been a solid unit these last 2.5 weeks. we havent lost a regulation game in a while and could easily be on a 8 gammer right now. why mess with all lines right now? i think eller and galchenyuk can be just as fruitious with ryder. gally needs someone to finish off his slick passes and ryder could be that guy. cole is a north south guy who drives the net when at his best as ryder slides into the middle finding holes to sit in and look for set ups. bourque will likely re insert into his spot with plex and gionta upon his return. since prust and his characteristics are suited for any line on our team, this makes for the easiest way to (re-introduce) ryder to the line up hence "the early line up" and likely start vs the leafs.

Good point. This move is good for a rebuilding club. So the question is probably "Are we really battling for 1st in the East or a 15th team rebuilding?"

I'd think a little of both.

We lost size for scoring. Cole and Ryder had identical numbers last season but Ryder has the same amount of points as Plekanec right now. He was playing great in Dallas when Dallas wasn't playing great. If he comes in and brings in a little chemistry, losing that size won't be such a loss with Lars Eller playing a bigger role.

It's probably only for a season. Hell, if Ryder doesn't work out in Montreal we can still flip him at the deadline. The cap space and draft picks is the big win. Three second round picks and three third round picks now. After Kaberle is bought out I believe around $16.5M in cap space free.

well I wanted a sniper I guess we got one but I didn't think it would be Cole to go. This may turn out to be a great trade, apparently Cole wasn't all that happy here. We all have to remember how streaky Ryder can be. That's how he came into disfavor in Montreal the first time. Well let's hope he goes on a tear and scores bunches. I think more changes are coming. :habslogo:

According to Renaud Lavoie from RDS (he Follows the Habs everywhere) Cole was somewhat of a problem in the locker room.

We all have to remember how streaky Ryder can be. That's how he came into disfavor in Montreal the first time. Well let's hope he goes on a tear and scores bunches.

Agreed. Let's hope Ryder has a hot start!

According to Renaud Lavoie from RDS (he Follows the Habs everywhere) Cole was somewhat of a problem in the locker room.

The media loves to exaggerate.

He sent a text message to everyone that they need to be better this year and some players took it the wrong way.

not a Ryder fan, so don't like the deal, other then the future cap flexibility it gives. Would have been overjoyed if Gionta was the one traded.

gainey is advisor of dallas and cole was his and PG's guy which made this deal easier. the fact they threw in a 3rd is laughable.. gainey always throws in the extra's....

cole was a hab fan growing up, with that said his american family not sold on the whole bi-lingual school system and all as the biggest reason for this trade. Personal family reasons are my bet.