Free Agent "Frenzy"

dlbalr

Williams to the Caps for 2 years. Nice grab.

His playoff performance was likely the draw, but I'm not overly keen on using that as a determining factor -- "sample size too small." And even so, Williams has 30 goals and 78 points in 115 career playoff games. Over an 82 "playoff game" season, his playoff performance appears slightly higher than his regular season performance, as he's averaging 21 goals and 56 points in 82 playoff games. When compared to his 40-ish point regular seasons, and with less than 20 goals, sure, he has a slightly higher gear for the playoffs. It's still second-line performance. Is that worth 6.5 million a year for a cap hit?

His playoff performance was likely the draw, but I'm not overly keen on using that as a determining factor -- "sample size too small." And even so, Williams has 30 goals and 78 points in 115 career playoff games. Over an 82 "playoff game" season, his playoff performance appears slightly higher than his regular season performance, as he's averaging 21 goals and 56 points in 82 playoff games. When compared to his 40-ish point regular seasons, and with less than 20 goals, sure, he has a slightly higher gear for the playoffs. It's still second-line performance. Is that worth 6.5 million a year for a cap hit?

He isnt getting 6.5/year...

6,5M$ no, but 3,250M$ yes.

That was a good pickup for Washington with Williams. His agent noted there was a team that offered more and there seems to be speculation that it was Montreal. Between that and the reports that they were in on Beleskey, clearly Bergevin thinks he has the money to make a signing of some sort.

Dreger: "The Montreal Canadiens were definitely in on Antoine Vermette." #Habs #Coyotes

— Chris Nichols (@NicholsOnHockey) July 2, 2015
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

HUH? Did he not just sign with the Coyotes?

Dreger: "The Montreal Canadiens were definitely in on Antoine Vermette." #Habs #Coyotes

— Chris Nichols (@NicholsOnHockey) July 2, 2015
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So far sounds like we've been in on just about everyone and have lost out thus far on just about everyone.

What would it take to get Kunitz from the pens? Emelin if we take 1M$ of his salary plus a mid pick?

I honestly wouldn't want Kunitz he has 2 years left and his production is starting to drop fast. Sure he can be a good 3rd liner but he would come here like Briere and Parenteau expected to be in the top 6 and fail. Pens fans have been itching to get him out of the top 6 or off the team in Pittsburgh.

Guest Stogey24

It's not a bad thing we've lost out on those players. Bergevin was probably making level headed offers

I think he had two teams that were left in the geographic that he was interested in and neither the Isles or devils are contenders.

I honestly thought someone would sign him on a 1 year deal.

There are rumblings that Johnny Oduya is waiting to see if Chicago can clear some cap space as he'd like to re-sign there. If that's the case, one would think the Hawks will have to make some sort of cap-clearing move in the next few days; they can't realistically expect Oduya to wait too long.

There are rumblings that Johnny Oduya is waiting to see if Chicago can clear some cap space as he'd like to re-sign there. If that's the case, one would think the Hawks will have to make some sort of cap-clearing move in the next few days; they can't realistically expect Oduya to wait too long.

They are going to give sharp to us for 5 7th round picks. :rofl: Oughta work.

Cant say am sad that he is off the market, maybe would of been a good fit, but old and slowing isn't he?

Getting old but still gets it done.

Unless we see a shocker, doubt the Habs sign anyone on free agency. Bud is as good as it gets. I just want another trade.

Will be another trade by Habs...happy! (got 8 NHL d-men, likely gotta trade one before the fall, especially with Barbarino just signed also)

Shawn Matthias gets a one year, $2.3 M deal from Toronto. He had similar production to Eller last year; getting only that much on a contract probably doesn't mean good things for those who want to see Montreal trade Eller.

Shawn Matthias gets a one year, $2.3 M deal from Toronto. He had similar production to Eller last year; getting only that much on a contract probably doesn't mean good things for those who want to see Montreal trade Eller.

Much like St. Louis, we're stuck with our overpriced bottom six centre that has alleged top six potential. For them it's Berglund.

Call me a homer but Eller has much more value than Mattias.

Matthias had every opportunity to establish himself as a top 6 player in Florida. He was fortunate to get traded to Vancouver where they have zero depth behind Sedin. He was fortunate to score 18 goals. Imo he'll never surpass that total.

I read a great article about Lars vs Plek. Opportunities & Off Vs Def zone starts and all that jazz. Points per minute yada yada. Anyhow, Eller was equal to Plek. This is something I see and believe. The article just confirmed what it was that I was seeing that people couldn't see or appreciate.

Eller, imo, has been too restrained. He needs to be given 20 games in a top 6 role, allowed to make a few blunders, and shown confidence in. Given primary PP & secondary PK time. He would flourish and be responsible. I am fully confident and would never post another iota of opinion ever again should I be mistaken. I see him as a mini Jordan Staal. Watch for him to progress again next season with 40+ points in 3C capacity. DLR, DSP, Kassian, He'll have some quality wingers all season long.

Anyhow. As I mentioned somewhere else. Time to bring in Jim Slater. 4th line C/LW PK stud. Quicker Prust minus the toughness.