Tokarski traded for Max Friberg

DON

Habs have just traded Dustin Toskarski to Anaheim for Max Friberg. Reading the Hockey News scouting report, it seems Max has some skills.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?8977

Anyone know anything about him? It seems a reasonable return for Toskarski given that he had reached the end of the line in Montreal.

Damnit Don, beat me to it.

Anyways here is my scouting report on Friberg from the summer.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2015/09/03/tsp-anaheim-ducks-prospects-2/

Nice write-up, thanks.

Seems like good value for Toker, who was clearly of little further use to us.

But what's with all the deals with Anaheim?? MB is aware there are 28 other teams out there, right - ?

But what's with all the deals with Anaheim?? MB is aware there are 28 other teams out there, right - ?

Every GM seems to have their favourite few to deal with it seems. There seems to be a level of trust between Bergevin and Murray when it comes to swapping 'change of scenery' types of players.

According to Godin, Tokarski had a bad attitude about how his career was going. Rubbed the locker room the wrong way.

He made it clear he wasn't happy when he was sent down the first time after clearing waivers. Clearly, he figured his time in the minors was up after last year.

And a write-up on the trade: http://www.habsworld.net/2016/01/habs-trade-dustin-tokarski-to-anaheim/

Finally a biiiig trade. Oh wait neither one of these guys is likely to play in the NHL, OK not such a big trade. But really good for the future right? No? Sheesh we need cannons and Mark down Marc is buying popguns. Really this trade is just re-organising the paper work. Means very little to either club. That is just my opinion and I would love to be wrong. Bye Bye Toker you gave us some good games a while back.

Finally a biiiig trade. Oh wait neither one of these guys is likely to play in the NHL, OK not such a big trade. But really good for the future right? No? Sheesh we need cannons and Mark down Marc is buying popguns. Really this trade is just re-organising the paper work. Means very little to either club. That is just my opinion and I would love to be wrong. Bye Bye Toker you gave us some good games a while back.

'Markdown Marc' - nice!

Of course, that this trade happened in no way precludes some other trade, of the 'big' variety, from happening. It's not as though Tokarski was likely to be a key element in an eventual deal for Drouin, Yakupov, Crosby, or Superman.

Seems like good farm asset management. A goalie no longer in the plans actually yielded what seems to be a legit bottom prospect that can provide help in St. Johns. With Carr and Andrighetto on the big club, guys like Lessio and Friberg seem like they should fill the void. And if either of those guys went back to the AHL, seems like the farm is pretty deep. From what I've read here, Pasquale seems to deserve the shot in St. Johns as well.

• Upvote 1

We weren't getting much for tokarski, and this move doesn't prevent us from making other moves.

It as irrelevant to the question of needing a big trade, as the fact we will play the Penguins on Saturday. Both will happen. Neither changes the fact that MB needs to make a big trade for scoring. Neither prevents the move.

You're right, it's not really a big deal for either side. I like it for St. John's as it gives them another top six winger to use and ideally it forces Bozon (who is a frequent scratch) down to the ECHL so that he can actually play. Friberg could also serve as a passable and cheap call-up if there are other trades/injuries.

Cant see any downside to trade... is there?

If I had to come up with some, he's under contract for next year. If he doesn't pan out (or wants to go back home), it's an extra spot off the 50 that could be used otherwise unless they agreed on a mutual termination. Moving Tokarski could be an issue for depth if Scrivens gets snatched off waivers when Price returns. That's about all I can think of and neither of those are glaring downsides either.

• Upvote 1

Based on CC's earlier comment, here is a summary of all the trades Montreal and Anaheim have made over the last year and a half:

To MTL: Devante Smith-Pelly, Bryan Allen, Max Friberg

To ANA: Jiri Sekac, Rene Bourque, Dustin Tokarski, Louis Leblanc

A random note, Friberg and Leblanc were 1st/2nd in scoring on Anaheim's farm team last year.

Commandant:
We weren't getting much for tokarski, and this move doesn't prevent us from making other moves.
It as irrelevant to the question of needing a big trade, as the fact we will play the Penguins on Saturday. Both will happen. Neither changes the fact that MB needs to make a big trade for scoring. Neither prevents the move.

[/p]habs rule, on 07 Jan 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

Finally a biiiig trade. Oh wait neither one of these guys is likely to play in the NHL, OK not such a big trade. But really good for the future right? No? Sheesh we need cannons and Mark down Marc is buying popguns. Really this trade is just re-organising the paper work. Means very little to either club. That is just my opinion and I would love to be wrong. Bye Bye Toker you gave us some good games a while
back.

It's called asset management. Players who have demonstratively come to the end of the road in Montreal are being traded for younger asssets instead of being dumped for a 7th round pick --or nothing--when their value is near zero. This way, when/if a big trade is made we have the organizational depth to compensate for the traded pieces. In Lessio and now Friberg we have a couple of prospects who are younger than the players that went the other way and who still have some potential to develop. It isn't sexy or glamorous, but it is damned good management.

Put it another way.....we have now effectively dealt Cedric Desgardin for a speedy 23 year-old forward. Feel better? I thought not. Take two aspirins and have a lie down until after the trade deadline

Commandant:

[/p]habs rule, on 07 Jan 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

It's called asset management. Players who have demonstratively come to the end of the road in Montreal are being traded for younger asssets instead of being dumped for a 7th round pick --or nothing--when their value is near zero. This way, when/if a big trade is made we have the organizational depth to compensate for the traded pieces. In Lessio and now Friberg we have a couple of prospects who are younger than the players that went the other way and who still have some potential to develop. It isn't sexy or glamorous, but it is damned good management.

Put it another way.....we have now effectively dealt Cedric Desgardin for a speedy 23 year-old forward. Feel better? I thought not. Take two aspirins and have a lie down until after the trade deadline

I am a big fan of asset management but the big club is in some serious trouble, so while you guys are correct that it doesn't stop us from making other deals, when was the last time Markdown Marc made another deal? This is beginning to show a pattern of fiddling and tweaking, rather than a concerted effort to improve the big club. Is he afraid to make a mistake and therefore does nothing? I agree some of the small deals have been good deals, but while they improve the club marginally, they don't address the core problems. I think he has let all the praise he got from his tweaker trades go to his head. We have a long way to go and a short time to get there. Our window is 4 years, tops so we should making the bigger moves now. I have always been a guy who supports most management moves, but if I am going to support them, then you got to make them. Markdown is a very smart man who I have always supported but my faith is being shaken, by some of the moves lately. Kassian for Scrivens did not address our problem, tying a can to Semin (which I really think was Le Genius) without giving him much of a chance, was not smart. He is the big gun, time to start acting like it.

at the very least, it possibly means we no longer need the goalie depth because our Star goalie is coming back soon?

at the very least, it possibly means we no longer need the goalie depth because our Star goalie is coming back soon?

You have no idea how I hope that is true, but I think Mr. Price is out for a while yet. He is still not skating. Last I heard. Le Genius does not really confide in me, we need to ask Don for any updates.

Something outta nothing... Friberg won't hurt the farm, and getting something, anything out of Tokarski is great.

But are you ok, Korp? Did you have a helmet on to protect yourself from fainting? These Bergevin deals are electrifying! He's like Brian Burke on crystal meth!

• Upvote 1

Bergevin isn't going to make a block buster for the sake of making one, if the prices are still too high he will wait, the man does not get fleeced easily and is simply making minor tinker moves, letting the league know he is willing to dance, while curing us of some small issues. Whether its a substance abuse problem or a goalie who has simply reached rock bottom for us and has become nothing more than an obstacle in front of Fucale's playing time.

When the deal for the significant player becomes available for the right price, he will make it, and quite frankly i'd rather have a GM who picks his moments and grabs the Vanek's, and the Petry's for great deals than the GM who makes Kessel type trades because the market is rioting for a big move.

• Upvote 1