Tinordi traded to Arizona

dlbalr

The one by Kunestzov has to be the exception here. The writing quality is quite poor, IMO (even if I'm not the best English writer myself).

The writing quality is poor, but the storytelling is excellent.

The main job of a ghost writer is to improve on the story that was told to him, and the best ones do it without being noticed.

The Players Tribune ghostwriter is amazing.

Players Tribune articles are not actually written by the player. Trottier had a good article a while back and he was on the radio. He told the story and someone else wrote it.

That was indeed a great read. Assuming he composed that, and didn't have it 'ghosted,' he is quite an effective writer. The argument about his daughters is of course the trump card: my daughters love hockey, they are dying to see me in the All Star Game, so I'm gonna do it. We never think about players as parents, whose kids are fans of them as players.

I'd note, though, that there is a kind of permanent rhetorical strategy around goons: i.e., to present the 'goon' as the hockey equivalent of a sad clown. 'I never wanted to be a fighter...I was just an honest guy who loved hockey...but this was the way I could help my team and make my dreams come true.' They almost always say the same thing. Remember the pathos around Kordic? I don;t mean his tragic death, I mean the whole idea that his dad was ashamed of his goonery, that John 'just wants to be a hockey player,' etc.. As if Kordic had any hockey skills whatsoever.

What the 'tragic goon' narrative tends to overlook, of course, is that in the absence of fighting, these guys would never have become millionaire celebrities in the first place, and no one would give a sh*t about any aspect of their lives at all. The alternative for the Kordics and Scotts is NOT that they play proper hockey, it's that they do something else entirely. Scott at least is smart enough to know that full well.

I have no time for goons, but if we must have fighters, I prefer them like Nilan or Parros: guys who embrace the role and enjoy it (even if it gets brutally tough as they age, c.f. Nilan and painkillers). No sad clowns need apply.

The other player the Habs got in the deal, Victor Bartley, is being coveted by Malmo in the Swedish league to finish the season out there. Judging from the comments in the Bartley article on the Habs' team site (linked on the main page), I think they plan to have Bartley back up as soon as he recovers from his injury so I don't think Malmo will get him.

The other player the Habs got in the deal, Victor Bartley, is being coveted by Malmo in the Swedish league to finish the season out there. Judging from the comments in the Bartley article on the Habs' team site (linked on the main page), I think they plan to have Bartley back up as soon as he recovers from his injury so I don't think Malmo will get him.

Yeah, I remember hearing or reading that Bergevin feels Bartley is a good player who was buried in Nashville's very deep defensive talent pool. I suspect he sees Bartley in something like the same way he saw Weise, a guy with a higher upside than his existing organization was prepared to, or able to, accommodate.