UFA/RFA Habs: Who do you want back?

Trizzak

Here's who is currently unsigned for next season. Who do you want back? And at what cost?

UFA:

Tom Gilbert - LA

Mike Brown

Victor Bartley - Minny

Ben Scrivens

John Scott

Gabriel Dumont - Tampa

Bud Holloway - KHL

Lucas Lessio

Mac Bennet - Rochester

Morgan Ellis - St Louis

Michael Bournival - Tampa

Darren Dietz - Caps

RFA:

Andrew Shaw - $3 900 000 (6 years)

Philip Danault - $912 000 (2 years)

Daniel Carr - $725 000 (2 years)

Sven Andrighetto - $650 000 (1 year)

Joel Hanley - $632 500 (1 year)

Mark Barberio - $750 000 (2 year)

I'll try to update this list as the signings happen for comparison.

I can do without any of those UFAs.

In terms of RFAs, Carr, Lessio, Ghetto, and Barberio for SURE. Most of the others will probably be re-upped, but I see most of them as organizational depth.

I can do without any of those UFAs.

In terms of RFAs, Carr, Lessio, Ghetto, and Barberio for SURE. Most of the others will probably be re-upped, but I see most of them as organizational depth.

Agree. Although I'd add Morgan Ellis for the slim chance that he is on the roster when the Habs win the Cup and he takes it back to Prince Edward Island for me to drink out of.

I'll take,

And at what cost? Couldn't even guess, some get 2 way deals, but would need to ask dlbalr who is eligible for waivers and what not

UFA:

Victor Bartley

Gabriel Dumont

Bud Holloway

RFA:

Philip Danault

Daniel Carr

Sven Andrighetto

Joel Hanley

Darren Dietz

Mark Barberio

Morgan Ellis

UFAs

Gilbert - could be useful depth on the roster and would need to take at least a 50% pay cut for me to want him back.

Bartley - would be a nice depth guy on a two-way deal.

Dumont - would be a solid veteran leader for the farm.

Holloway - would be a solid veteran with offense for the farm.

Brown/Scott - the game is moving away from this type of player and so should the Habs.

Scrivens - crease is already too crowded and he didn't impress this season in the NHL or AHL.

RFAs

Danault/Lessio - like to see what they could do in a full season with the team/organization. A show me contract at the very least (two-way for Lessio).

Andrighetto/Carr - intrigued me enough to earn a show me contract at the very least.

Barberio - I'd like to see him back as the 3rd pair LD.

Hanley/Deitz/Ellis - solid depth guys for now. I'd like to see if they can step it up another level or if they've hit their ceilings.

Bournival - his career is over. Too many concussions. Not worth the contract.

Bennett - just isn't good enough.

• Upvote 1

UFA

Bud Holloway - for AHL, but i doubt he's back

RFA:

Philip Danault

Daniel Carr

Lucas Lessio

Sven Andrighetto

Joel Hanley

Darren Dietz

Mark Barberio

Morgan Ellis

Michael Bournival

Sign em all, might as well... except mac bennett.

Guest Stogey24

Lessio is a guy I'd like to see more of. Hanley too.

Read an article on Holloway. He said he'd think about returning to St.johns, after he's tested the market a bit

Of the UFA's, I'd like Dumont and Bartley back, Holloway as well but I think he'll go elsewhere. (For what it's worth, I think Dumont leaves too.) The farm team will need a veteran blueliner next year and Bartley showed enough that he can be a passable fill-in with the Habs when injuries arise while Dumont is a bigger piece on the farm than you might think at first glance.

Of the RFA's, I'd tender all but Bournival and Bennett. Bournival is probably already approaching the crossroads where he may be better off retiring than risking another concussion. Even if he doesn't want to retire, I wouldn't want to risk burning one of the 50 contract spots on him; I suspect the Habs are going to be a lot tighter to it next year than they have been lately. I think Parisi takes Bennett's spot for next year.

As for the waiver situation, Don, it's as follows for the RFA's (all the UFA's would have to clear):

Exempt: Carr, Hanley, Bennett

Needs Waivers: Danault, Lessio, Andrighetto, Dietz, Barberio, Ellis, Bournival

Holloway. I think he's a great veteran for the AHL team, allowing them to actually have a winner in a healthy year.

I wouldn't be upset of all the rfas came back, although I agree bournival might not have much left due to concussion issues

i'd say None of the UFA's and all of the RFA's except Bournival, who may have his career compromised already by concussions, and Bennett, who has looked nothing like what they expected.

Although I wouldn't be completely opposed to giving Bournival another contract to see if he can get healthy, because I certainly don't mind the player, but if you can't take a check anymore, you can't play hockey anymore.

So once Habs resign whoever they likely will for what is reasonable to expect contract; will there likely be much cap room, barring any trades would Bergevin have to offer a 'quality' UFA?

$6 or 7m/yr?

Barberio, Andrighetto and Carr seem like a spot on the big club is theirs to lose next year, but you never know what Therrien and Bergevin are thinking about them. Maybe they score too much and it's better to have Danault in there for his intangibles. Hard to care too much about the rest, but you might as well keep and develop them.

None of those UFAs matter very much.

Barberio, Andrighetto and Carr seem like a spot on the big club is theirs to lose next year, but you never know what Therrien and Bergevin are thinking about them. Maybe they score too much and it's better to have Danault in there for his intangibles. Hard to care too much about the rest, but you might as well keep and develop them.

None of those UFAs matter very much.

:lol: Your faith in our management group is truly inspiring.

I think more highly of Carr and Barberio than I do of Andrighetto, who seems to have a handful of strong games and then evaporate. Carr is a real battler who can chip in some goals, and Barberio was quite a canny pickup by Marky Marc IMHO.

:lol: Your faith in our management group is truly inspiring.

I think more highly of Carr and Barberio than I do of Andrighetto, who seems to have a handful of strong games and then evaporate. Carr is a real battler who can chip in some goals, and Barberio was quite a canny pickup by Marky Marc IMHO.

I get a real D'Agostini vibe from Andrighetto. He's surprised me in the past with some great offensive games but there's nobody in the league I've seen so easy to knock off the puck. And unlike other guys who will just lose the puck but can still battle for position, he loses the puck and position when he gets stripped.

That said, if Ghetto comes to camp a bit stronger, he could be a serious threat on the third line. If we once again get a feather, he won't have any spot locked down.

Guest Stogey24

I get a real D'Agostini vibe from Andrighetto. He's surprised me in the past with some great offensive games but there's nobody in the league I've seen so easy to knock off the puck. And unlike other guys who will just lose the puck but can still battle for position, he loses the puck and position when he gets stripped.

That said, if Ghetto comes to camp a bit stronger, he could be a serious threat on the third line. If we once again get a feather, he won't have any spot locked down.

Ghetto makes a lot of bad decisions with the puck too. I noticed it more and more as the season went on.

It's hard to imagine any of the fringe players coming back with MB falling in love with marginal players like Flynn and Torrey Mitchell. The number of fifth line and fourth pairing turds is staggering.

I would keep:

UFA

Brown

Gilbert on a 2/4 for insurance purposes and let Barberio walk.

RFA

The easy ones.

Here's who is currently unsigned for next season. Who do you want back? And at what cost?

UFA:

Tom Gilbert possible depth at about 50% of current salary

Mike Brown I am among the minority that think he could be useful

Victor Bartley Ahl depth

Ben Scrivens

John Scott

Gabriel Dumont ahl depth

Bud Holloway ahl depth

RFA: All except Bennet and Bournival (due to his unfortunate injury history)

Philip Danault

Daniel Carr

Lucas Lessio

Sven Andrighetto

Joel Hanley

Darren Dietz

Mark Barberio

Mac Bennet

Morgan Ellis

Michael Bournival

I'll try to update this list as the signings happen for comparison.

Who knows how much he wants after an abysmal experience in Chicago.

IF he's willing to sign at a reasonable rate for a bottom-6 FW, then obviously, yes, he should come back; he was great for us more often than not.