Development Camp Roster

dlbalr

Lindgren supposedly has stood out among the goalies.

One battle I'm very curious seeing played out is the goaltending. I think Lindgren has the tools and pedigree to be a great goalie and he wins the starting job with the Icecaps. With Montoya backing up Price, where does that leave Condon and Fucale? One gets traded.

Guest Stogey24

Condon's are a dime a dozen.

I don't think running Fucale and Lindgren as a duo in St.johns is a great idea. Pretty young.

Condon's are a dime a dozen.

I don't think running Fucale and Lindgren as a duo in St.johns is a great idea. Pretty young.

Regardless of what happens with Condon, I'd rather one of the two spend a good chunk of the year in Brampton. I'd like both to get at least 45 games or so and that can't happen if both are with the IceCaps all year.

Guest Stogey24

Watched the video of McCarron and Sergachev. McCarron was not pleased. You could hear him yell have some fackin respect.

Sergachev might have some arrogance to him.

His new backup is a guy drafted sixth overall the year prior to him.

Yes and it seems they are very hard to pinpoint how will turn out, even if they shine at world juniors and look like cant miss prospect.

I'm not a big fan of Fucale. He reminds me of Mathieu Garon. He's still young though, maybe he improves enough to be a decent NHL goaltender.

The Habs have quietly released five players from ATO's they signed before development camp, suggesting they won't be invited to the rookie tournament in September. Those players are:

D Colton Bobyk

F Massimo Carozza

F Maxime Fortier

F Cody McDonald

F Nicolas Poulin

I think some people liked Fortier.

I thought he was one of the candidates to land an ELC if he showed well at this camp and in September. I thought Bobyk had a shot at making a run at an AHL spot but I guess they weren't happy with his performance.

I thought he was one of the candidates to land an ELC if he showed well at this camp and in September. I thought Bobyk had a shot at making a run at an AHL spot but I guess they weren't happy with his performance.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bobyk had it in the cards to return to Red Deer as an overager. His numbers look pretty good. I don't have any thing on Carozza, but the other three would have to show to be dam good because they have to return to junior if they didn't make main club. Normally we are looking for guys here that fill out this years rosters.

I wouldn't be surprised if Bobyk had it in the cards to return to Red Deer as an overager. His numbers look pretty good. I don't have any thing on Carozza, but the other three would have to show to be dam good because they have to return to junior if they didn't make main club. Normally we are looking for guys here that fill out this years rosters.

Even if Bobyk was expected to return to junior, they could still have brought him to the September camp if they thought he was worth looking at further.

They have brought junior-only players (18/19) to the September camps in the past. Just last year, the team signed McNiven as an 18 year old in that tournament. There are a couple of junior aged players that are still on the reserve list in Hayden McCool and Petrus Palmu by the way.

Even if Bobyk was expected to return to junior, they could still have brought him to the September camp if they thought he was worth looking at further.

They have brought junior-only players (18/19) to the September camps in the past. Just last year, the team signed McNiven as an 18 year old in that tournament. There are a couple of junior aged players that are still on the reserve list in Hayden McCool and Petrus Palmu by the way.

Fair enough. Sometimes the rookie roster is facilitated by junior bodies just to have the numbers to make the camp work, much like you might bring in ten/eleven catchers for a MLB camp. We know NCAA players have trouble making this camp. I believe that some of the development camp try outs,out of junior, exit, not because of lack of skill, but that their schedules and/or plans won't allow them to take on another camp. .

Fair enough. Sometimes the rookie roster is facilitated by junior bodies just to have the numbers to make the camp work, much like you might bring in ten/eleven catchers for a MLB camp. We know NCAA players have trouble making this camp. I believe that some of the development camp try outs,out of junior, exit, not because of lack of skill, but that their schedules and/or plans won't allow them to take on another camp. .

The NCAA guys typically can't go to the tournament/September camp because classes are on at that time (plus they're technically required to pay their own way to these things).

Junior teams can't really prevent their players from going though, talk about bad PR - we're not letting our top players go to an NHL camp because we need them for the preseason/first few games of the regular season. That's one way not to attract players to a junior team. Not to mention that the players often benefit from working with the pros. About the only thing a CHL team can really do is ask for a player to be sent back quickly if he has no shot at getting a contract and is basically a field filler.

Hayden McCool was 6th overall pick in 2013 OHA Priority Draft so he must have some latent skill. Mitch Marner went 19th overall, and Zach Werenski even later in that draft.

First, Zach Werenski was drafted late in that draft because a team took a flyer on a kid who was unlikely to ever play in the OHL as he was already committed to the college route. I don't see how you can even compare where he was drafted and the guys drafted ahead of him.

Second, where you were taken in the OHL draft doesn't mean a heck of a lot... there is a long list of players taken high at 16 years old who bust long before getting to the NHL. If you think the NHL draft is a crap shoot when dealing with 18 year olds... the OHL draft is an even bigger crap shoot dealing with kids that age.