Development Camp Roster

dlbalr

First, Zach Werenski was drafted late in that draft because a team took a flyer on a kid who was unlikely to ever play in the OHL as he was already committed to the college route. I don't see how you can even compare where he was drafted and the guys drafted ahead of him.

Second, where you were taken in the OHL draft doesn't mean a heck of a lot... there is a long list of players taken high at 16 years old who bust long before getting to the NHL. If you think the NHL draft is a crap shoot when dealing with 18 year olds... the OHL draft is an even bigger crap shoot dealing with kids that age.

2001 was a funny one. One of the more accurate top 5's with Corey Perry, Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, and Nathan Horton taken. #1? Patrick O'Sullivan.

In 2003, Phil Kessel was taken 62nd, 40 spots behind Tom Pyatt.

My favourite draft of course will always be 2010, when Warren Rychel told everyone he was taking Kerby Rychel in the second round. Right after he made his first round pick, Barrie selected Kerby Rychel and held him ransom. Warren was so furious he refused to talk to the GM of Barrie for two years. Barrie traded him to Mississauga and then Mississauga to Windsor. He then proceeded to play Kerby on the top line for the Spits with an unspoken rule to always pass Kerby the puck. That's why he got drafted so high in the NHL and why he's on his way to busting.

Well, I wasn't trying to claim that McCool is a better prospect than Marner or Werenski, just that he was taken surprisingly high in the OHL draft for someone who went undrafted two years by the NHL. Pre junior evaluations are part of the process for Timmins & co. From the past draft, three of their OHL draftees were taken in the top 11 picks of the 2014 Priority Draft, and I think Sergachev was top 5 in the CHL import draft. The scouting report on McCool lauded his size and skating, with those two assets there is always a chance of making it. Timmins even made a point of mentioning their OHL Priority Draft status when he was interviewed after the draft.

Edited by ethan raphael

Well, I wasn't trying to claim that McCool is a better prospect than Marner or Werenski, just that he was taken surprisingly high in the OHL draft for someone who went undrafted two years by the NHL. Pre junior evaluations are part of the process for Timmins & co. From the past draft, three of their OHL draftees were taken in the top 11 picks of the 2014 Priority Draft, and I think Sergachev was top 5 in the CHL import draft. The scouting report on McCool lauded his size and skating, with those two assets there is always a chance of making it. Timmins even made a point of mentioning their OHL Priority Draft status when he was interviewed after the draft.

Except he wasn't taken surprisingly high in the OHL draft. There are guys taken high in the WHL draft, OHL draft, and QMJHL draft every year who don't get picked in the NHL draft two years later. This isn't new, and isn't surprising. Not to anyone who has ever watched junior players and looked at the drafting process.

Its all normal when looking at 16 year olds and their development.

My favourite draft of course will always be 2010, when Warren Rychel told everyone he was taking Kerby Rychel in the second round. Right after he made his first round pick, Barrie selected Kerby Rychel and held him ransom. Warren was so furious he refused to talk to the GM of Barrie for two years. Barrie traded him to Mississauga and then Mississauga to Windsor. He then proceeded to play Kerby on the top line for the Spits with an unspoken rule to always pass Kerby the puck. That's why he got drafted so high in the NHL and why he's on his way to busting.

Weren't the Colts and Spitfires playing against each other in the playoffs at the time this happened too? What made matters worse is that Windsor said they'd pick him in the 2nd round, then proceeded to trade down in the round to pick up an extra pick. (And speaking of OHL drafts, Galchenyuk was the first overall selection in that class as well.)

And further with high OHL picks, Bitten (7), Mete (8), and Pezzetta (11th) were all OHL first rounders two years ago. I don't think they're targeting players based on that but it's interesting.

Weren't the Colts and Spitfires playing against each other in the playoffs at the time this happened too? What made matters worse is that Windsor said they'd pick him in the 2nd round, then proceeded to trade down in the round to pick up an extra pick. (And speaking of OHL drafts, Galchenyuk was the first overall selection in that class as well.)

Yeah it was pretty much Windsor waving their metaphorical anatomy at the smaller clubs and freaking out when someone decided to pull the trigger.

Spits gave up a lot to get Rychel in Windsor then proceeded to wrap their entire organization around making him look good. I stopped paying for Spits tickets and would only cover them around then.

I was adamant people avoid him in the first round. I was wrong on Fowler (he made a lot of defensive errors in the OHL I never wanted to forgive him on and I guess Niedermayer worked one on one with him in Anaheim) but I've so far been right on Kerby. He absolutely gives up on a play where he doesn't score. It sucks because he could be a very good player like a Kunitz type. He just doesn't have the psychological part of his game and I doubt he builds it in Toronto.