Big contracts, young players

Meller93

In the last few days and weeks we've seen players such as Ekblad, Scheifele, Mackinon and more signed to 40-50 million dollar contracts. Going forward are these going to be the comparables for a Galchenyuk extension?

After next season Galchenyuk will arguably be better than Scheifele who has a 6.125 cap hit. Mackinon sits at 6.3. What will Galchenyuk's contract look like? If he hits 30 goals again and maybe 60+ points if could be in the 8 year 6.5 range. In the end, I'd just be happy to have a 30 goal scorer.

That's the kind of contract Subban should have been signed to after the lockout. I'd rather pay a highly skilled young player with an upside more than contractually you need to to, in order lock them up long term at a better long-term cap hit. Much better paying a cornerstone going forward than than shelling out $6M deals to Pleks, or locking up grinders like Shaw by giving them both high salaries and long terms.

If MB had brains he'd try and sign galchenyuk to an extension now, although I doubt if galchenyuk would want to commit to the prospect of playing for MB's foxhole buddy for any longer than he has to.

I could see galchenyuk being moved as well. Doesn't fit the Habs desired player profile. Maybe MB can get Marleau or Thornton for galchenyuk.

In the last few days and weeks we've seen players such as Ekblad, Scheifele, Mackinon and more signed to 40-50 million dollar contracts. Going forward are these going to be the comparables for a Galchenyuk extension?

After next season Galchenyuk will arguably be better than Scheifele who has a 6.125 cap hit. Mackinon sits at 6.3. What will Galchenyuk's contract look like? If he hits 30 goals again and maybe 60+ points if could be in the 8 year 6.5 range. In the end, I'd just be happy to have a 30 goal scorer.

They're not ideal comparables because you're looking at different situations. The deals you mention buy out 4 RFA years and 3-4 UFA years. A long-term extension for Galchenyuk buys out 2 RFA years and anywhere from 4-6 UFA years, depending on the length of the contract. If I had to guess what an extension would look like, I think a 6 year deal would be in the $6.5M range. 8 years probably pushes closer to $7M by virtue of there being 6 UFA years involved.

If MB had brains he'd try and sign galchenyuk to an extension now, although I doubt if galchenyuk would want to commit to the prospect of playing for MB's foxhole buddy for any longer than he has to.

And we know he's not doing this...how, exactly? For all we know, that's exactly what he's doing. (Quite honestly, I think they are trying to get something done.)

• Upvote 1

Didn't Scheifele buy out 5 UFA years?

He came off his ELC which got rid of the first 3 RFA years. The rule is 27 years old or 7 NHL seasons which means the deal got rid of the other 4 RFA seasons meaning the other 4 were UFA.

That's the kind of contract Subban should have been signed to after the lockout. I'd rather pay a highly skilled young player with an upside more than contractually you need to to, in order lock them up long term at a better long-term cap hit. Much better paying a cornerstone going forward than than shelling out $6M deals to Pleks, or locking up grinders like Shaw by giving them both high salaries and long terms.

I could see galchenyuk being moved as well. Doesn't fit the Habs desired player profile. Maybe MB can get Marleau or Thornton for galchenyuk.

The (stupid) decision to force Subban to take a bridge contract was, in retrospect, an early canary in the coal-mine, an indicator of the Dumb + Dumber's hide-bound hostility to PK.

That this decision contributed to Subban playing hard-ball two years later, when he quite justifiably squeezed the Habs for every nickel he could get. But Dumber was reportedly angry about that, which no doubt compounded resentment toward the player. It's a nice example of how an initial prejudice against a player can snowball.

Had management NOT clung to an idiotic 'old school' mentality and instead focused on Subban's strengths, understanding that possession, speed, and transition are the future of the game, Subban might have been signed for $6 mil and we might never have been forced to watch him be traded at a discount in order to satisfy the egos of the idiots in charge.

The (stupid) decision to force Subban to take a bridge contract was, in retrospect, an early canary in the coal-mine, an indicator of the Dumb + Dumber's hide-bound hostility to PK.

That this decision contributed to Subban playing hard-ball two years later, when he quite justifiably squeezed the Habs for every nickel he could get. But Dumber was reportedly angry about that, which no doubt compounded resentment toward the player. It's a nice example of how an initial prejudice against a player can snowball.

Had management NOT clung to an idiotic 'old school' mentality and instead focused on Subban's strengths, understanding that possession, speed, and transition are the future of the game, Subban might have been signed for $6 mil and we might never have been forced to watch him be traded at a discount in order to satisfy the egos of the idiots in charge.

Hide-bound Hostility, neat.

Subban was looking to sign a 5 year deal coming off his ELC to get to UFA for next offseason (which would have been a good strategy from his perspective). There was no super long-term pact at $6 million or so (I seem to recall the 5 year ask being around $5M) to be had. Had the Habs given him the 5 years, they'd have been forced around this time to decide whether or not to keep him for the long-term. Given what happened here, I suspect they still would have traded him.

It wasn't Bergevin idea to hold the line on Subban's bridge deal. The NHL was coming off the lockout and trying to hold the line on salaries especially with players who should have no bargaining power early on in their deals.

Bergevin toed the company line and forced Subban to eat the Bridge deal.

Then Edmonton gave the big deals to Hall, Eberle, Hopkins instead of bridging them and Toronto did same with Kadri.

Now you see the McKinnon, Shiefle, Forster deals as a result.

To blame Bergevin for the Subban contracts is ignorant of the facts

• Upvote 1

He came off his ELC which got rid of the first 3 RFA years. The rule is 27 years old or 7 NHL seasons which means the deal got rid of the other 4 RFA seasons meaning the other 4 were UFA.

Ah, strange how Scheifele was drafted before Galchenyuk and yet is a year behind him contract-wise. I'd like to see him signed to 8 years though honestly

Subban was looking to sign a 5 year deal coming off his ELC to get to UFA for next offseason (which would have been a good strategy from his perspective). There was no super long-term pact at $6 million or so (I seem to recall the 5 year ask being around $5M) to be had. Had the Habs given him the 5 years, they'd have been forced around this time to decide whether or not to keep him for the long-term. Given what happened here, I suspect they still would have traded him.

And then they would have actually had a reason to trade him. Unlike the stooopid pos trade they made.

I think it's you who isn't aware of the facts. Practically EVERY other team that had an important RFA prior to the lockout RUSHED to get them signed. Even the budget conscious jets signed head case evader Kane to a 6 year deal (the jets also just signed schedule to a long-term deal rather than go the bridge route). The only two notable RFA's that weren't signed were Subban and Ryan o'reilly (who received an offer sheet from Calgary after the lockout ended).

The Habs should have taken advantage of the rules that were in place and tried signing him to the type of deal that Tyler Myers got. There was NO WAY Subban was going to get more than incumbent Norris winner Karlsson was getting on his 6 yr deal that summer of $6.5m (he also avoided a bridge deal). The islanders were even smarter signing Tavares who would have been an RFA at the same time to an extension the year before the 2011/12 season started for the best contract in hockey of $5.5m.

Would subban have wanted a 5 yr deal? Of course. But no team would sign. A player to a deal that takes them only to free agency. Every player that signed a long term higher salary deal gBe up some UFA years. The Habs weren't interested in going the longer route. The smart thing would have going $6.5/yr for 10 year and offering the same type of front loaded contract with the bonus structure that Weber got that summer that offered lockout protection. Even of the Habs traded him afterwards his contract would have been easier to move (one of the reasons given why the oilers didn't go all in, was the impact on their salary structure, when they still have mcdavid to lock up in the future).

I said it in the summer of 2012, that the Habs would lose subban long-term because of the way they nogotiTed with him and the way Le idiot was handling him and that is what pretty much happened. They chose the coach whose selfishness cost them a playoff series during his first stunt with the team, over one of the most dynamic players in hockey.

It wasn't Bergevin idea to hold the line on Subban's bridge deal. The NHL was coming off the lockout and trying to hold the line on salaries especially with players who should have no bargaining power early on in their deals.

Bergevin toed the company line and forced Subban to eat the Bridge deal.

Then Edmonton gave the big deals to Hall, Eberle, Hopkins instead of bridging them and Toronto did same with Kadri.

Now you see the McKinnon, Shiefle, Forster deals as a result.

To blame Bergevin for the Subban contracts is ignorant of the facts

Ah, strange how Scheifele was drafted before Galchenyuk and yet is a year behind him contract-wise. I'd like to see him signed to 8 years though honestly

8 years for Galchenyuk, sounds good to me.

Yes, even if I'm a little off base with this post, I think Chucky can be signed to 8 on a similar deal (slightly higher). Realistically I hope for 8 years at <7. I believe in Galchenyuk. You can't even argue, he's a 30 goal scorer; at 21 years old.

Yes, even if I'm a little off base with this post, I think Chucky can be signed to 8 on a similar deal (slightly higher). Realistically I hope for 8 years at <7. I believe in Galchenyuk. You can't even argue, he's a 30 goal scorer; at 21 years old.

I cant argue against it, but maybe dlbalr might have some facts, logic and such, as to why should or will be only 5 or 6yr instead?

Don't see him agreeing to under seven million.

Galchenyuk and Johansen are both in a very interesting situation for their respective teams. If Galchenyuk signs an offer sheet or plays hardball, Montreal has absolutely nobody to replace what he brings. Imagine going into next season with Plekanec and Danault as your top two centres. He's got no reason to take less on those UFA years.

Bingo.

Don't see him agreeing to under seven million.

Galchenyuk and Johansen are both in a very interesting situation for their respective teams. If Galchenyuk signs an offer sheet or plays hardball, Montreal has absolutely nobody to replace what he brings. Imagine going into next season with Plekanec and Danault as your top two centres. He's got no reason to take less on those UFA years.

Sound logic. 8X7 is ok though