Habs to move their AHL affiliate to Laval

dlbalr

Some pretty crappy names there.

Why not Les Laval Quebecois? They have the Rochester Americans.

Politically speaking, that wouldn't be a smart move. Of those, I think they're heading for the Titan as that's what old junior teams there have been called. Maybe it's just the fact that I like alliteration but Lynx doesn't sound half bad either.

Do they have a deal to get the name from Acadie-Bathurst though. Don't they own the team name Titan, seeing as how they are still using it?

Does the rights to that name extend throughout just the QMJHL or all of hockey? It's a different league so I'm not certain Acadie-Bathurst would have a claim to it for the AHL. The AHL had two teams named the Admirals until last season (when Norfolk became an ECHL team).

Politically speaking, that wouldn't be a smart move. Of those, I think they're heading for the Titan as that's what old junior teams there have been called. Maybe it's just the fact that I like alliteration but Lynx doesn't sound half bad either.

How come? Are there as many Quebecois that bash French Canadiens like the Democrats in the States do with Americans?

The whole political climate in Quebec is fascinating. Does anyone here have a book recommendation?

How come? Are there as many Quebecois that bash French Canadiens like the Democrats in the States do with Americans?

The whole political climate in Quebec is fascinating. Does anyone here have a book recommendation?

Calling something the 'Quebecois' is opening up the can of worms to suggest that the Habs are tacitly supporting the Bloc (and/or Parti) Quebecois, political parties that stand for Quebec's independence (ie: separation). Thus, someone can put those together and say the Canadiens support separation and how dare they do that considering their team name is a variation of 'Canadians'. That wouldn't be pretty; it's not worth the hassle. The less political the hockey team can be, the better.

Does the rights to that name extend throughout just the QMJHL or all of hockey? It's a different league so I'm not certain Acadie-Bathurst would have a claim to it for the AHL. The AHL had two teams named the Admirals until last season (when Norfolk became an ECHL team).

It would extend across leagues... see how the CFL's Baltimore Colts had to change their name when faced with legal challenges. See also how Vegas is having such a hard time finding a name that isn't copyrighted or trademarked.

Laval Titan could be an issue.

Milwaukee Admirals and Norfolk Admirals is less of an issue.... its the "Laval Titan" where it could be.

Of course the Habs could just pay for the rights...

• 2 weeks later...

I know everyone seems to be in love with having the farm team close to home but I hate seeing the farm team in Laval. Doesn't do much to develop a fan base outside of the province, keeps the kids in the media spotlight, party atmosphere of Montreal, etc...

I know everyone seems to be in love with having the farm team close to home but I hate seeing the farm team in Laval. Doesn't do much to develop a fan base outside of the province, keeps the kids in the media spotlight, party atmosphere of Montreal, etc...

To play devil's advocate here, wouldn't it be beneficial to at least somewhat expose them to a bit of the limelight so it's not as much of a culture shock when they do get called up? I don't think they're going to be in the spotlight all that much, I can't see the major media outlets having people regularly covering the team. I liked them in Hamilton (still close enough to make it fairly easy to shuffle players while giving them a presence outside the province) but Laval is still a lot more beneficial than the challenges of the St. John's market.

By the way, long time no see on here, hope all is well. Any interest in coming back to the SK pool? (I've wanted to invite you back in the past but I don't seem to have an updated e-mail to get a hold of you.)

Living close to Toronto, the Marlies get almost 0 media attention or coverage. Even with Nylander ripping up the AHL last year, you barely heard about them. Once the playoffs started there was a little bit of coverage with the Leafs being out and all, but it really isn't even like 5% of what the Leafs get.

These are still big league hockey cities, that won't pay much attention to the minor league team.

fork you Don. gotta admit ya got me there.

Hey, even a blind squirrel find a nut sooner or later.

If not moving till next year, they wont announce the name for a long time yet will they?

If not moving till next year, they wont announce the name for a long time yet will they?

I don't think they'll wait too long. They'll want to start marketing and whatnot fairly early and it's a lot easier to do so with a team name.

Hey DLBLR,

I'm not sure I buy the "ease them into the spotlight" approach. The party doesn't stop and, if anything, is even more enticing to young players you want to develop. Sure, the media pressure may be a little less intense but there will be lots of folks trying to gain access to them for all sorts of reasons. JMHO.

I'd love to get back into the SK pool again...I'll PM you if I can remember how...lol.

Zow