Alexander Semin on waivers

dlbalr

Well, as great a contributor as DON is, his hate-on for Cammy never made much sense IMHO. The guy is an excellent scoring FW.

It wasn't just him who couldn't stand Cammalleri by the end, I was thrilled they traded him. (What they got in return, not so much but I couldn't stand his indifference on most of his shifts in his last year.)

Cammy had a terrible year his last season with us, no question. He was leading the player rebellion against JM and his production reflected that. But when you factor in the pathologies of the Gauthier regime, it can't be all that surprising that Cammy wanted out.

But it's probably a mistake to assess a player based on his worst moment with the team. Looked at objectively, he's a dangerous scoring forward. To this day, he'd be a major asset on our team. I'm not crying in my beer that he's gone, but hating Cammy seems bizarre to me.

Some people have criticized MB for the Semin & Kassian deals. To me, Bergy took a gamble and it didn't work. Semin in the ahl costs the club 150 k on the cap-- very little. If he goes to the KHL he is off the books completely. While any contribution that Kassian makes to the Habs will be an unexpected bonus, the deal works out as a 5th round pick for Prust which is a reasonable return to get his salary off the books IMHO (and I loved Prust as a Hab). My point, very low risk potential high reward-- with a backup plan in place(Flash!). That's the way I want the GM of my team to operate. It is such a relief to trust the GM again and not think OMG" what did he do this time!?"every time there is a trade

Some people have criticized MB for the Semin & Kassian deals. To me, Bergy took a gamble and it didn't work. Semin in the ahl costs the club 150 k on the cap-- very little. If he goes to the KHL he is off the books completely. While any contribution that Kassian makes to the Habs will be an unexpected bonus, the deal works out as a 5th round pick for Prust which is a reasonable return to get his salary off the books IMHO (and I loved Prust as a Hab). My point, very low risk potential high reward-- with a backup plan in place(Flash!). That's the way I want the GM of my team to operate. It is such a relief to trust the GM again and not think OMG" what did he do this time!?"every time there is a trade

You are very correct, if there was a mistake made it was in not realising that Semin is not a Le Genius type player. He doesn't grind or hit. He is not a 4th liner. He is a prima donna who needs cuddling. That is not the way Le Genius way.

Sorry to bring up ol #13 again CC, I know vast majority of HabFans are fond of him and his time with Habs, I will endeavour to not bring him up nor bash him anymore. But I still recall when he didn't come out after the end of intermission and was elated to hear later why.

Was it a classy move by Gauthier, not at all but like Prust's spear of Marchand was dirty play for sure, still put a smile on my face and good for a chuckle.

And likewise am simply glad Semin is out of picture now, he just seemed to have lost a step and 1/2, wouldn't use his best asset his shot and was very soft in every puck battle.

Sorry to bring up ol #13 again CC, I know vast majority of HabFans are fond of him and his time with Habs, I will endeavour to not bring him up nor bash him anymore. But I still recall when he didn't come out after the end of intermission and was elated to hear later why.

Was it a classy move by Gauthier, not at all but like Prust's spear of Marchand was dirty play for sure, still put a smile on my face and good for a chuckle.

And likewise am simply glad Semin is out of picture now, he just seemed to have lost a step and 1/2, wouldn't use his best asset his shot and was very soft in every puck battle.

We simply disagree. I know a lot of Habs fans like you who never liked him. It's no big deal. I find it funny.

As for Semin, I keep reading people say he would never work with Therrien but if it was just the coach, why did 29 teams pass him up? Was it just Therrien with Briere, who did worse in Colorado? Was it just Therrien with Sekac, who has yet to accomplish this big breakout away from Therrien's system? Was it just Therrien with PAP, who is hardly doing better in Toronto before his injury in Montreal? Was it just Therrien with Vanek, who disappeared for Minnesota last playoffs?

Why does Ghetto excel when Semin does not under Therrien? Because it has nothing to do with Therrien and everything to do with the player.

• Upvote 1

Not surprising at all...what's his next move though? Home to the KHL? St John's? Retire in the tropics?

I imagine his agents are trying to find a spot in the KHL for him right now. Montreal, meanwhile, could look to trade him for another player buried in the minors. (That's an unlikely scenario but has happened from time to time.)

I'll just adopt the "he'll work hard in the minors and find a spot back on the team" mentality, even though I know it will never happen.

I'm saddened by this, if only because I wish it could have worked out.

• Upvote 1

so you disagree with me again ? ok that is cool

It will be interesting to see if the Ice will play him, provided he reports. He could actually be productive down there if he give it a shot. His value is pretty low, so any positive statistics going forward would be valuable for him if he was seeking further employment elsewhere. What I am saying here, is that it may be in his best interest to bite the bullet, go down and try as hard as he can muster.

Read a couple reports yesterday, as Dlblr indicated, that his agent is seeking a club in the K for him...

Oh well, I wish he had came here and worked out, but Commandant was right all along, just too slow to play on this team...

It will be interesting to see if the Ice will play him, provided he reports. He could actually be productive down there if he give it a shot. His value is pretty low, so any positive statistics going forward would be valuable for him if he was seeking further employment elsewhere. What I am saying here, is that it may be in his best interest to bite the bullet, go down and try as hard as he can muster.

If he reports, St. John's would play him, no doubt. They're back to 11 healthy forwards right now (and that includes Bournival who hasn't played yet).

Semin is now on unconditional waivers which usually leads to an unconditional release. So no cap repercussions of any kind :-)

Like many on here, I was hoping that Semin would be that elusive high-scoring dangerous right wing that we need. Oh well, can't win 'em all. Enjoy the K, Alex.

I didn't think that he played that bad. I suppose the coaches were looking for different things out of him than I was. For Semin it is a crazy fall from grace, going from one of the league's premier snipers to clearing waivers at a bargain price.

I didn't think that he played that bad. I suppose the coaches were looking for different things out of him than I was. For Semin it is a crazy fall from grace, going from one of the league's premier snipers to clearing waivers at a bargain price.

I think the coaches wanted him to shoot the puck, create scoring chances and score goals. What possible different things were you looking for?

This has nothing to do with Therrien. If any coach or team in the league had seen, or had any expectation, of the remotest possibility that Semin had regained his scoring touch,or could prosper under a different system, he would have been picked up by someone.

There is not one team, with the possible exception of Dallas, that does not need scoring. Semin slowed down and he was unable, or unwilling, to adapt his game. MB took a virtually zero risk gamble; it didn't work. Next! Andrighetto, show us what you can do.

On the other hand, Andrighetto seems to have a real fire in him, and obviously some goal scoring touch, nice to see a young Hab come up and produce...

Guest Stogey24

On the other hand, Andrighetto seems to have a real fire in him, and obviously some gaol scoring touch, nice to see a young Hab come up and produce...

He did this last year too. Then really faded out.