Sekac traded to Anaheim for Smith-Pelly

sim.on

TSN 690 reporting the trade.

Smith-Pelly is more physical but a lower offensive ceiling, but who knows how much of that potential Sekac ever fufills.

Personally not loving the trade but not hating it either. Time will tell.

I have to say i'm not impressed with this deal...True that it's too early to tell who'll come out on top...but I had such High hopes for Sekac. Very disappointed that the Habs gave up on him so soon.

I have to say i'm not impressed with this deal...True that it's too early to tell who'll come out on top...but I had such High hopes for Sekac. Very disappointed that the Habs gave up on him so soon.

My feeling as well. I know Sekac was on the outs lately, but he's struck me as one of the most fundamentally sound rookies I've seen on the Habs. I don't really get this deal. That said, I also don't know much about Smith-Pelly, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

It could be as simple as SP having more NHL and playoff experience while projecting to be a similar type of player in MB's eyes. In that case, perhaps it's a cost-free boost to our playoff readiness?

COOL a trade!

AntiSmurf 222lber RW and I think I like the deal at 1st take.

Out of left field and why they were down on Sekac is an odd one...oh well big winger of exact same age (a week or two difference in age) :hyper:

wow. I really like Sekac. put me down as very disappointed to lose him. I don't know anything about Smith-Pelly, so i can't say I like or don't like the trade ... but I am seriously skeptical.

I always liked DSP's game, but I was shocked to to see how low his totals were. Definitely a physical upgrade on Sekac, but I really had hoped to see Sekac flourish in Montreal. Oh well, only time will tell.

At first glance I don't really like it, DSP is a younger version of Prust but bigger.

But lets face it Jiri had his moments but wasn't going to make an impact this year in the playoffs, in future years who knows. We gave up a little bit of potential for NHL experience. And they are the same age.

Not Bad...Not great either.

Smith Pelly looked good at world juniors from what i remember. Dont know what they expected from sekac but i would have thought they were very happy with his first nhl season efforts.

Odd that they gave up on Sekac, but will give MB benefit of the doubt. He must see something in SP. They do want more size and physicality up front.

Guest Stogey24

Noooooooooo!!!! As soon as I heard he wasn't on any lines in practice I had a feeling. I bet that problem with Plekanec in dressing room was true

Noooooooooo!!!! As soon as I heard he wasn't on any lines in practice I had a feeling. I bet that problem with Plekanec in dressing room was true

TSN 690 reporting that Sekac was at Pleck's house playing FIFA when he heard about the trade.

Guest Stogey24

TSN 690 reporting that Sekac was at Pleck's house playing FIFA when he heard about the trade.

hahaha! Well I hate the trade personally. This kid wasn't given a fair shake. Smith Pelly has played on a line with Getzlaf and didn't do much.

I don't know why some are saying that Smith-Pelly is bigger than Sekac? He might be heavier than Sekac, but he's certainly not taller. Sekac is 6'2" whereas SP is 6'0" (not what I would call very tall in today's NHL).

Maybe Sekac wasn't happy with his playing time and wanted out.

I hope that's the case, cause if the habs gave up on this guy this soon, i'll be very disappointed!

Smith Pelly has played on a line with Getzlaf and didn't do much.

Really? Well that's disappointing!

Guest Stogey24

I don't know why some are saying that Smith-Pelly is bigger than Sekac? He might be heavier than Sekac, but he's certainly not taller. Sekac is 6'2" whereas SP is 6'0" (not what I would call very tall in today's NHL).

I hope that's the case, cause if the habs gave up on this guy this soon, i'll be very disappointed!

I don't get the size thing either. There is 100% more behind this, Bergevin went out of his way to get Sekac.

I have to say I'm similarly disappointed that they gave up on him so quickly. I thought he had a good future. That being said, this time last year, we didn't even have sekac, soooo... Let's just think of this as "Anaheim" trade smith-Pelley to Montreal for nothing". I call that a win!

Let's not forget that sekac was in his 4th year of pro hockey. He said himself he didn't consider himself a rookie.

Smith-Pelley seems like a playoff preparation to me. I hope he is a good top 9.

Why the hell are the Habs so patient with Eller and not so much with Sekac???

I agree with this. Maybe the deal isn't right for Eller. I think we would all be rotted with smith-Pelley for Eller. Maybe no one wants Eller.

Why the hell are the Habs so patient with Eller and not so much with Sekac???

I find Eller very frustrating but perhaps the extra patience is due to the extra difficulty in acquiring centres?

I could definitely see Eller being traded as De La Rose takes his spot.