Lars Eller re-signs, 4 years, $3.5M per year

Yowza. A $3.5 mil cap hit seems like a lot for Passenger Lars, but I guess they're paying in part for potential. If he does up his game to what it's capable of being, that'll be a terrific contract. If he doesn't, it might prove to be a source of some frowning over the next four years; but then again, I haven't put a whole lot of soulful thought into his "comparables."

Yowza. A $3.5 mil cap hit seems like a lot for Passenger Lars, but I guess they're paying in part for potential. If he does up his game to what it's capable of being, that'll be a terrific contract. If he doesn't, it might prove to be a source of some frowning over the next four years; but then again, I haven't put a whole lot of soulful thought into his "comparables."

His best comparison was Sutter in Pittsburgh.

I actually really like it. Think about it in the last couple years. I still have high hopes for Eller. And I've seen mentioned before, a solid contract might help Eller psychologically, as I feel like that is Eller's biggest weakness.

Well, now will Subby-doo make it too arbitration or get a longer deal next week also?

Bergevin is preaching stability and a 1 year deal wouldn't seem to fit with that and 79-81 getting longer deals than expected.

Maybe a 7 -8 year deal is what will end up being for P.K.??

WTF?!?!?!

Yesterday I read that the Eller camp was asking for 3.1 million$ per year and the Habs were offering 1.65 million$ per year...How did they end up at 3.5 million$ per year over 4 years???

I like Eller, but I find this to be a little too high. He better start performing (at least 50 points), or else he's gonna find out what it's like when an entire city gets on your back!

I mentioned this in the other thread (before noting that a new one had been started for the signing) but $3.5 million is right at the edge of the parameter for the 4-year deal that I estimated last week. I'm surprised to see the salary approach $5 million at the end of the deal; clearly the Habs think Eller has another gear in him. If not, this could be a tough contract to trade.

WTF?!?!?!

Yesterday I read that the Eller camp was asking for 3.1 million$ per year and the Habs were offering 1.65 million$ per year...How did they end up at 3.5 million$ per year over 4 years???

Those figures weren't per year. They were for a one year contract only.

What's interesting about this is that it's clearly not a stingy contract. I'm not a capologist, but I don't think the Eller from last season is really worth that cap hit. So this proves that MB is willing to err on the side of generosity in contract settlements. The question then becomes - what does this mean for Subban? Having been relatively generous with Eller, is he now going to turn around and try to squeeze every last drop of blood from our second-most important player? Hopefully not. Hell, he'd BETTER not.

WTF?!?!?!

I like Eller, but I find this to be a little too high. He better start performing (at least 50 points), or else he's gonna find out what it's like when an entire city gets on your back!

$3.1M for one season, which would make Eller an RFA again.

This deal gives him $2.5M for the first two years and then it jumps up. $3.5M ends up the AAV.

Similar overall cost as DDs contract. DD has proven to be a more capable scorer, but Eller is a much more capable two way player. If Eller finds his scoring touch this deal will be dynamite, If he doesn't he will still be a serviceable 3rd line center who will occasionally find the back of the net. I personally am not upset with the deal, and it shows the habs have confidence in him going forward.

• Upvote 1

What's interesting about this is that it's clearly not a stingy contract. I'm not a capologist, but I don't think the Eller from last season is really worth that cap hit.

Any time you're going into a contract that buys out UFA years, there's always a level of projection involved. You know the back year dollars will have to exceed the early year ones in order to entice the player to sign. Is he worth $3.5 M per year right now? Probably not, but clearly they're projecting he has another level to his game and that by the time he hits UFA eligibility, he will be. This is at the high end for what I thought he'd get but I'm not too surprised by this news.

Any time you're going into a contract that buys out UFA years, there's always a level of projection involved. You know the back year dollars will have to exceed the early year ones in order to entice the player to sign. Is he worth $3.5 M per year right now? Probably not, but clearly they're projecting he has another level to his game and that by the time he hits UFA eligibility, he will be. This is at the high end for what I thought he'd get but I'm not too surprised by this news.

Yes, that makes sense. I'm not shocked or anything, nor am I outraged - contracts generally don't rile me up all that much. It's too much for Jan Bulis II, but it will be up to Eller to finally prove he isn't Jan Bulis II and to live up to the projections implied by the last years of the deal. What I AM saying is that the Habs had better not play hardball with PK Subban after having happily thrown Eller a relatively fat pitch.

• Upvote 1

I think the Eller deal looks a lot like Subban's deal from two years back. Bigger money in the later year. Lesser money in the early year.

I'm thinking Subban is going to get a six year deal that has his money starting low and will finish high.

It's the same way with Pacioretty, Emelin and Price's contracts. Only Markov's slides down.

Its not a great deal but it's not a deal either. If he plays better offensively it could be a steal. If he turns into a legit 3rd line center who can shut down other players, win faceoffs and kill penalties it will be a decent deal.

Hopefully he'll pick it up some

A bit much for a guy who apparently has promise, but continually fails to deliver. At some point, he needs to be paid for what he actually is, not what we hope he could become.

I suspect he will be the same, average third liner he is now in three years, at which point he will be overpaid. Still, it will be for two years, hardly a team buster.

Subban is trickier.. When you are talking $9+ millions for 8 years, if PK doesn't produce it will be an albatross. While I have faith in him, there are a lot of overpriced, garbage former hotshots in this league who everyone thought were sure things. So I am not surprised that MB is going slow and cautious on PK.

Well it just goes to show you what I know. Apparently the level of compete that you show for 3 years has nothing to do with your salary cause hey maybe you will wake up and be good. So we better pay you now for what you might do in the future (if we get lucky). I like Larry and I hope he gets his act together cause when he wants to play he is awesome but 20 games does not a season make. Come on Larry show us how good you can be for 80 games plus games leading to the cup parade. I give a couple of days off to slough off.

My god you guys are melodramatic. I was one of Eller's biggest critics but I'm quite fine with the contract. Eller at his worst is a 30 point third line center. That's at the very worst. He had terrible luck last season and couldn't handle the extra duties. At $3.5m AAV he isn't untradeable.

Calm down folks.

Guest Stogey24

My god you guys are melodramatic. I was one of Eller's biggest critics but I'm quite fine with the contract. Eller at his worst is a 30 point third line center. That's at the very worst. He had terrible luck last season and couldn't handle the extra duties. At $3.5m AAV he isn't untradeable.

Calm down folks.

Yep

I like Bergevin's decision making so far in almost all he's done, and this is a good deal on a 6'2" 215 defensive center with some offensive upside, maybe a lot of offensive upside. I like Eller, and think he is indeed a part of the young core for the Habs, and I expect a steady good to great season for Lars Eller.....

• Upvote 2