When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

Some great posts and divergent views on here - yet no personal insults. :thumbs_up: That's Habsworld at its best.

I tend to agree with Habs29 that it would be great to see the Habs' Big Three defencemen rushing the puck in a more freewheeling way. Subban can completely discombobulate other teams when he does that, and Beaulieu has also shows flashes of doing the same thing. That's a huge, under-utilized asset our club has, defencemen attacking from the rush. It does seem puzzling that a team with offensive "issues" would deny itself this powerful tool. On another level, it also deprives fans of watching some of the most electrifying talent in hockey on full display.

That said, you know who takes a similarly stifling, low-risk approach to systems? Mike Babcock, a.k.a., Mr. PK Subban is Not Good Enough to Be an Olympic Regular because He's Too Risky. So Therrien is in good company with this constipated approach.

I get the aggravation, but the bottom line is that Therrien has gotten good results, so it's silly to fire him at this juncture. This is especially true given that - as I keep saying - whoever replaces Therrien will almost certainly bring a new set of strengths and weaknesses to the table. He will not be replaced by Scotty Bowman. Instead it'll be some other run-of-the-mill, perfectly competent but not stellar bilingual coach. The whining, complaining, endless micro-analysis and overall bitching will continue unabated. So what's the point?

I think the whole Subban is not safe was something that was over-exxagarated in part by MT not supporting his dman and that fat old goat supporting his guys (Bouwmeester - I've never won anything in my life and Peiterangelo). The coaching staff made a decision to go with dmen that were familiar with each other, over the reigning Norris trophy winner.

If Babcock was the coach in Montreal, I think he would allow Subban to skate more. He gave WAY more leeway to Lidstrom who was the greatest dman of his generation and didn't treat Lidstrom like his other dmen. In the Olympics with Weber, Doughty, Keith, he could afford to bypass Subban. I actually have been thinking a lot of the habs firing MT, if Babcock doesn't resign with Detroit.

People who are saying that there is no system should change their stance to , the system is not one which utilizes the defensemen the way I would like, or something like that. Typically what I see, is the defenseman trying to get stick on puck to chip to a safe zone. His support then chips to the neutral zone where a forward can chase it down. And use numbers to skate it in. This normally leaves the defensemen out of the rush. If the play is broken in the neutral zone, the other team has time to cover their man and limit offensive zone opportunities. That is the system I see. Not saying I agree with it, but I must say that 3 seasons in the MT tenure and 5th in wins is an indicator that overall the system works. I find it boring. And I would like to see PK Beaulieu and Galchenyuk carry the puck more. But I don't want him fired. Yet.

I think it's safe to say he's our Claude Julien. The Bruins fans have hated Julien, even when the Bruins won the Cup. They are never happy with his decisions and celebrate the players without ever giving him credit.

Talk Radio in Boston fired Chiarelli/Julien and traded Chara when the Habs were up 2-0 in 2011.

I think it's safe to say he's our Claude Julien. The Bruins fans have hated Julien, even when the Bruins won the Cup. They are never happy with his decisions and celebrate the players without ever giving him credit.

Personally I think Claude is a good coach, however I guess old and I do mean old Lou in New Joisey would disagree. He has done a good job with that team and that team in Joisey.

Both Julien and Chiarelli have done excellent work with the Bs. Unfortunately for Chiarelli, the Seguin trade - which seemed weird even at the time - could end up being what sinks him. That seems to be his sole major mistake, and surely he can be excused even a big flub in light of the way he built the Bruins into such a force.

Talk Radio in Boston fired Chiarelli/Julien and traded Chara when the Habs were up 2-0 in 2011.

More than half the hab fans in Montreal had Price traded the summer of 010.

Happens every where. Hundreds and hundreds of thousands of fans ....you are going to hear it all.

More than half the hab fans in Montreal had Price traded the summer of 010.

Happens every where. Hundreds and hundreds of thousands of fans ....you are going to hear it all.

Don't know i agree with that. A lot of people were unhappy that Price was constantly being played, regardless of how he played. I know where i stood. I felt the habs were forcing Price in the starter role before he was ready, but did not want him moved - never even thought about it. I think it's a testament to price's strength of character that he has become the player he is. Particularly since some goalies like Cloutier or salo weren't even able to recover from letting in weak goals from centre ice.

I think a lot of us felt that he was being rushed and didn't want to "ruin" him like the habs had with so many prospects. I know i had no interest in moving Price, but hated not having a good veteran to support him. Like i said, i think it's a testament to to his strength of character that he has developed the way he has in a fish bowl like Montreal.

i have wondered what we could get for Price - particularly after the horrible Gauthier regime. I've always thought he could net a truly top 5 player.

Despite how good Price has proven to be, I still hate picking a goalie to 5. Too much of a crapshoot, given goalies take long to develop. With goalies there are too many flash in the pans and you never know how junior or world junior success will translate in the NHL Too many My preference would have been Kopitar in that draft. Keep in mind that the Flames traded up to draft Trevor kidd (who was the top rated goalie) at around 14th (don't remember the exact number) and the devils who moved down picked up Brodeur later in the draft.

Kopitar would have been a great pick. Luckily, though, after endless twists and turns and enough drama and franchise bumbling to destroy a lesser man, Price has turned into a true superstar. Gainey nailed it.

Hind sight is 20 20 I know , but Chucky should have ripped it up in the A like Pacs did, then came to the NHL.

If that were the case, he probably even wouldn't be up yet. This would have been his first year of AHL eligibility and as we've seen with a few rookies down there, they like to let them stay there for a full season (de la Rose being the lone exception).

If that were the case, he probably even wouldn't be up yet. This would have been his first year of AHL eligibility and as we've seen with a few rookies down there, they like to let them stay there for a full season (de la Rose being the lone exception).

Well that would have been good too. How are Pacs, Subban , Gallagher, Price, doing? All of them went through the A. Point being somebody thoughyt saw something in Chucky that said, this kid does not need to go to the A. He is an NHLer at 18. Three seasons in? If they could do it all over again, he would not have made the team at 18.

Well that would have been good too. How are Pacs, Subban , Gallagher, Price, doing? All of them went through the A. Point being somebody thoughyt saw something in Chucky that said, this kid does not need to go to the A. He is an NHLer at 18. Three seasons in? If they could do it all over again, he would not have made the team at 18.

That's pretty thick headed thinking.

Galchenyuk has given the Habs 100 points in 2.5 years on a goal starved team. Twenty this year. Yeah, let's keep him in juniors because...uh...why?

At no point has he looked overmatched in the NHL. He's been a solid second line player, and had none of the struggles of Murray or Yakupov, the other likely picks in the top-3 of 2011.

Also, he made the team in part because of a 28th place finish.

So we can just chalk up this opinion in the "wrong file."

If you're looking for someone that a team wishes they could have taken a mulligan on promoting too fast, look at Anthony Duclair with NYR or Mikhail Grigorenko in BUF.

I guess this is just the newest of your little ideas, no?

Galchenyuk has given the Habs 100 points in 2.5 years on a goal starved team. Twenty this year. Yeah, let's keep him in juniors because...uh...why?

At no point has he looked overmatched in the NHL. He's been a solid second line player, and had none of the struggles of Murray or Yakupov, the other likely picks in the top-3 of 2011.

If you're looking for someone that a team wishes they could have taken a mulligan on promoting too fast, look at Anthony Duclair with NYR or Mikhail Grigorenko in BUF.

That was all you needed to say the rest is not necessary.

• Upvote 2

That's pretty thick headed thinking.

So we can just chalk up this opinion in the "wrong file."

I guess this is just the newest of your little ideas, no?

No just mulling it over. Could be wrong. You are probably right.

• 4 weeks later...

Just because I can't resist kicking a hornet's nest....

I'll say it right now. I don't feel very confident about going up against Ott -who's been playing playoff hockey since Feb. If the unthinkable happens, does Therrien get axed?

Just because I can't resist kicking a hornet's nest....

I'll say it right now. I don't feel very confident about going up against Ott -who's been playing playoff hockey since Feb. If the unthinkable happens, does Therrien get axed?

I think they'll probably fire him before the series starts, no point waiting since he can't possibly win it anyway!

There seems no good reason at all to even remotely consider axeing MT. He has the horses he has, and some of them are pretty good horses. I haven't a clue how we'll do this year unless Max is hurt in which case we all know. Max, in the gazette interview had nothing but praise for Mr T, and specifically stated that he got the very best out of everyone. He also stressed that a hell of a lot of what happens out there is what's going on between the ears and within the psyche of the individual players. I don't get the MT bashing except for the fact that all fans do it with their coaches. We all know better, and know what kind of opportunities we have to do what with who when.

That said, I'm a little disappointed that I haven't had a call from MB since Max got hurt. I would have thought he'd have me on speed dial and call right away.. perhaps he doesn't want to make his plans obvious just yet.. ya.. .that's it.. uh huh.. .. .. for sure ... .....gotta be it. :cry_smile:

• Upvote 1

I think they'll probably fire him before the series starts, no point waiting since he can't possibly win it anyway!

And it looks like a certain french speaking coach in Bawston may be availablle.....hmmmmm. JUST KIDDING.

I don't think Therrien gets axed unless the Habs absolutely stink out the joint. If the Habs go down swinging against a hot-as-hellfire Sens club backed by Steve Penney circa 1984, I think MB's main focus will be on finding another goal scorer to supplement MaxPac - not firing a 110-point coach.