Allan Walsh tweet re: P.A. Parenteau

Tweet from P.A.'s agent:

Montreal is goal starved and PA Parenteau with 196 pts over the previous 4 NHL seasons is a healthy scratch.

Honestly, i don't think our issue is a lack of offensively capable players. You stick a good offensive player on the Habs right now, they stop producing. There's some other problem here... Parenteau is decent offensively, but not in Montreal. The same is true of Tom Gilbert.

Something needs to be done, though.

Tweet from P.A.'s agent:

Montreal is goal starved and PA Parenteau with 196 pts over the previous 4 NHL seasons is a healthy scratch.

Honestly, i don't think our issue is a lack of offensively capable players. You stick a good offensive player on the Habs right now, they stop producing. There's some other problem here... Parenteau is decent offensively, but not in Montreal. The same is true of Tom Gilbert.

Something needs to be done, though.

Therrien wants everyone to play defense first. Price makes it appear that the team is good at that. But truth is they give up way too many scoring chances, play way too much in their own zone. Even price may get deflated mentally....shuts out lightning for 61 minutes and loses. Gotta be frustrating.

But its not all on MT......DD and Pleks are trying but they are not goal scorers, they are not number one centers, they are not physical players. Chucky is just not progressing. Pacs is a 50 goal scorer , 90 point player. But he wont be on this current club. Al Walshs' comments speak to that.

Just out of left field here but:

Is it possible that the players see/read/hear so much scrutiny/criticism from the fans and media about the lack of offense, that they start to believe it themselves? just wondering..

Just out of left field here but:

Is it possible that the players see/read/hear so much scrutiny/criticism from the fans and media about the lack of offense, that they start to believe it themselves? just wondering..

Where are you ...leaf land? Just kidding. Max has actually stated that a couple of years ago he would get bothered by fans and media. If so (and i doubt thats the problem) they have to follow Prices lead, he was under more pressure than anyone, learned to block it out once puck was dropped. Coaching staff helps squash that too.

How about these reasons......... they dont have a number one center, they don't even have a center who is considered a goal scorer, they don't have a powerplay. Dont know about you but those three issues just may hurt the GF column. They have done well considering, however come this time of year well coached, deeper teams are built and instructed how to exploit weaknesses. Habs secondary scoring is a weakness.

Yes, too bad Stamkos is on Tampa, under better coach and scoring every game like he did yesterday.

If you read my post i said the lack of scoring its not all on MT.

But then again the habs lost last night, so all you do after losses it cut up other posts.

Even gonna comment on the game?

All I asked is that is it f'n possible?! Have you ever heard of a team let down because the press continually wrote about how great they are? I'm wondering if the reverse is possibly true as well. If the press/fans write about a lack of offense, could it be, that the team actually plays as such? If you're not going to bless us with your wisdom, keep quiet

Playing "Defense First" ultimately means keeping the risk levels low - playing blue-chip hockey and perhaps not risking a breakaway to sustain a chance at a goal.

I think, with Carey Price in net, we want to see a bit more risk-taking from our players. Carey can cover up most of the times it fails.

Yes I agree about the secondary scoring, or lack thereof. But, man we gotta find a way. Could it be just a temporary spell of lackluster play and they're buying time and/or recharging for a strong finish and playoff?

Guest Stogey24

The look on Price's face after that loss said it all. Guy plays a stellar game and gets zero goal support. Its the story of about 85% of this season

On Parenteau: he played himself down the depth chart. I love this attitude that past performance entitles him to a top-6 spot. It doesn't, especially when your performance was with OTHER TEAMS and was so unimpressive last season that you were traded for a bag of pucks.

As for the wider issue of offence, we all knew it was an issue. We're constructed like a team that gets contributions from all three lines, but when that doesn't happen, there's no big studs except Patches to fall back on and carry the forward corps on their backs.

• Upvote 1

All I asked is that is it f'n possible?! Have you ever heard of a team let down because the press continually wrote about how great they are? I'm wondering if the reverse is possibly true as well. If the press/fans write about a lack of offense, could it be, that the team actually plays as such? If you're not going to bless us with your wisdom, keep quiet

Yes i have "heard" that. Agreed with it being a viable theory you offered. Gave Max as an example. However in this case I believe the lack of scoring comes from the combination of small non scoring tip two centerman, max expected to do too much of it, and no powerplay.

On Parenteau: he played himself down the depth chart. I love this attitude that past performance entitles him to a top-6 spot. It doesn't, especially when your performance was with OTHER TEAMS and was so unimpressive last season that you were traded for a bag of pucks.

As for the wider issue of offence, we all knew it was an issue. We're constructed like a team that gets contributions from all three lines, but when that doesn't happen, there's no big studs except Patches to fall back on and carry the forward corps on their backs.

Very true. Roy said it loud and clear "paranteau is not a top six forward"

Guest Stogey24

Its just frustrating watching games when your team doesn't score.

Its just frustrating watching games when your team doesn't score.

Well goals will be harder to come by from here on in. Read this morning that of all the play off teams (at this point) of the 16 teams habs are 16th in scoring. Juggling the lines every other period cannot be the only adjustment. How about leaving them together for the next 15 games? See what happens. Its the only line up strategy I have never seen MT try.

Guest Stogey24

"Only five teams in the NHL allow more shot attempts against than the Canadiens do. Only eight teams in the NHL allow more shots against than the Canadiens do. Only nine teams in the NHL allow more scoring chances against than the Canadiens. If your entire system is built around minimizing risk, and you're still bottom 10 in the league in every defensive category, you're not a defensive team".

"Only five teams in the NHL allow more shot attempts against than the Canadiens do. Only eight teams in the NHL allow more shots against than the Canadiens do. Only nine teams in the NHL allow more scoring chances against than the Canadiens. If your entire system is built around minimizing risk, and you're still bottom 10 in the league in every defensive category, you're not a defensive team".

Great point.

Max Pacs apparently agrees "we dont feel good as teammates hanging Carey out to dry as much as we do"

Carey Price is the defence on this team. The forking defence men can't stay out of his way to let him make a save.

The look on Price's face after that loss said it all. Guy plays a stellar game and gets zero goal support. Its the story of about 85% of this season

Let's not resort to hyperbole. We're 42-18-7. That's 42 games where we've gotten better than zero goal support. Among the 25 losses, there have also been a few games where we've scored more than enough to win vs. the league average (the last one of these was against Los Angeles last week - but we had Tokarski in net, so Price didn't benefit from it.)

We need to score more, especially considering the 5 goals scored in our last 5 games. But this doesn't happen 85% of this season.

• Upvote 1

This is your team, a low scoring team that needs to defend well and rely on its superstar to win and has won more often than not for almost 3 years now.

Would PAP help? he did diddly squat for 18 straight games before his melon got rocked, team won without him, so who is he supposedly better than, Weise, Eller, Flynn, Mitchell?

Who does mouthpiece Walsh suggest Therrien puts in the pressbox?

Guest Stogey24

Let's not resort to hyperbole. We're 42-18-7. That's 42 games where we've gotten better than zero goal support. Among the 25 losses, there have also been a few games where we've scored more than enough to win vs. the league average (the last one of these was against Los Angeles last week - but we had Tokarski in net, so Price didn't benefit from it.)

We need to score more, especially considering the 5 goals scored in our last 5 games. But this doesn't happen 85% of this season.

. I just read that last 30 games there have been 16 one-goal wins. Price doesn't shut the door this team starts looking a whole lot different. 85% was me being pissed and saying this team has zero offensive support

And if Bergevin had of traded for Eberle, team would look much different today also. But that didn't happen neither.

You do recall Price has 'shut the door' this year, last season and season before that.

I juts don't see the need to keep worrying and fretting about WHAT IFs and just enjoy another successful practice season!

I wouldn't read too much into this about being anything to do with Parenteau or his attitude. This is his loudmouth agent trying to start another controversy in Montreal, nothing more. Remember the guy on Twitter who ignited the Halak vs Price debate years ago? That was Allan Walsh, done solely to rile people up...quite successfully no less; thankfully the Habs ignored him and held onto Price over his client in Halak. One hidden benefit of the Sekac deal? One less client of his to have to deal with.

This is your team, a low scoring team that needs to defend well and rely on its superstar to win and has won more often than not for almost 3 years now.

Would PAP help? he did diddly squat for 18 straight games before his melon got rocked, team won without him, so who is he supposedly better than, Weise, Eller, Flynn, Mitchell?

Who does mouthpiece Walsh suggest Therrien puts in the pressbox?

He doesn't care who sits, as long as his client plays.

For the record, I'd get him back in the lineup as long as he's not used on the fourth line where he'll be absolutely useless. As for who to sit, start rotating the fourth liners in and out every so often. Flynn or Mitchell could have a night off here and there. Prust could sit against a less physical team; de la Rose could sit once or twice the rest of the way (the 40 GP limit is going to be hit late in the 2nd round as things stand, a game or two off before the end of the year could make a big difference should Montreal exit in Round 1 or 2), Eller could take a night off too, Weise as well. There are lots of options to rest for a game here and there. At this stage, it's all about keeping everyone fresh and in playing shape.