The coach: a hypothetical what if?

REV-G

So this question I'm posing doesn't have any sources, but more of a "I wonder if this could happen" scenario waiting for the playoffs to begin.

Part of why I'm even thinking this is because of Marc Bergevin's penchant for making moves that have been totally unpredictable and seemingly out of left field, but once made have been applauded by many. One of my questions has been addressed before and was a complete and total failure at the time but I'm wondering if things have changed or could change given the right situation. And I wonder if that could be now.

My question has to do with our coach and his system. I want to say that I was in favour of hiring MT and I thought that with his track record, experience and evolution as a coach that he would do a good job for us. And I think that time has shown that MT's hiring was a good move. Personally I don't know of anyone who could have done better. We have all been generally pleased, even surprised, with the past 2-3 years. I'm also putting this in a thread by itself and not in the "When will Therrien get fired" thread because the focus and discussion point here is more on whether MB could make the largest head coaching philosophical change in the history of the Montreal Canadiens.

So the facts are that the Canadiens allow 30.4 shots per game which is the most of any playoff team this year. Their shots against, and attempts against, are also in the bottom part of the league. Some of the other statistical numbers are not good. The most concerning one is their goals for. Way low. Power play....very low. I have heard that there is come concern the Alex Galchenyuk is not developing as quickly as he should. He's still so young I'm not sure how to even comment on that one. So if you're MB what do you do?

Is it possible that our coach has taken us to the highest level he is able to go? And is it possible that his strong defensive system needs changing if we're going to be the dominant team many think we should be going forward? So if we do not do really well in the playoffs could MB make a coaching change and I wonder if a top level coach like Mike Babcock could be his target?

I wonder if it's something that MB would try to pull off. Babcock still has not signed a contract with Detroit and for the talk of him going to Toronto many sports media people have speculated that with the mess there, it is unlikely Babcok would want to be part of a long rebuilding process.

But we all remember well what happened when Randy Cunneyworth, english and unilingual, was made the interim head coach and all the difficulty that caused. But would a top level coach like Mike Babcock possibly break the mold and allow for an english speaking, unilingual coach for the first time in our history? That's the question.

Is this possible or will we be forever limited with only being able to pick from whatever bilingual coach is available whenever we happen to be looking for a head coach. Would MB surprise us all with a move like bringing in a top level, most decorated and successful modern era coach, but who only speaks english?? What do you think? Is it possible??

So this question I'm posing doesn't have any sources, but more of a "I wonder if this could happen" scenario waiting for the playoffs to begin.

Part of why I'm even thinking this is because of Marc Bergevin's penchant for making moves that have been totally unpredictable and seemingly out of left field, but once made have been applauded by many. One of my questions has been addressed before and was a complete and total failure at the time but I'm wondering if things have changed or could change given the right situation. And I wonder if that could be now.

My question has to do with our coach and his system. I want to say that I was in favour of hiring MT and I thought that with his track record, experience and evolution as a coach that he would do a good job for us. And I think that time has shown that MT's hiring was a good move. Personally I don't know of anyone who could have done better. We have all been generally pleased, even surprised, with the past 2-3 years. I'm also putting this in a thread by itself and not in the "When will Therrien get fired" thread because the focus and discussion point here is more on whether MB could make the largest head coaching philosophical change in the history of the Montreal Canadiens.

So the facts are that the Canadiens allow 30.4 shots per game which is the most of any playoff team this year. Their shots against, and attempts against, are also in the bottom part of the league. Some of the other statistical numbers are not good. The most concerning one is their goals for. Way low. Power play....very low. I have heard that there is come concern the Alex Galchenyuk is not developing as quickly as he should. He's still so young I'm not sure how to even comment on that one. So if you're MB what do you do?

Is it possible that our coach has taken us to the highest level he is able to go? And is it possible that his strong defensive system needs changing if we're going to be the dominant team many think we should be going forward? So if we do not do really well in the playoffs could MB make a coaching change and I wonder if a top level coach like Mike Babcock could be his target?

I wonder if it's something that MB would try to pull off. Babcock still has not signed a contract with Detroit and for the talk of him going to Toronto many sports media people have speculated that with the mess there, it is unlikely Babcok would want to be part of a long rebuilding process.

But we all remember well what happened when Randy Cunneyworth, english and unilingual, was made the interim head coach and all the difficulty that caused. But would a top level coach like Mike Babcock possibly break the mold and allow for an english speaking, unilingual coach for the first time in our history? That's the question.

Is this possible or will we be forever limited with only being able to pick from whatever bilingual coach is available whenever we happen to be looking for a head coach. Would MB surprise us all with a move like bringing in a top level, most decorated and successful modern era coach, but who only speaks english?? What do you think? Is it possible??

nope

I don't see why this can't be folded into the "Therrien" thread, but never mind. It's an interesting idea, worthy of Lou Lamorello (sp?). Bergevin has shown himself to be quite ruthless in dealing with players, unexpectedly ditching core pieces like Gorges and Gio because he thought he could get comparable results more cost-effectively. So I wouldn't put a move this cutthroat past him.

On the other hand, here are some contrary thoughts:

1. You don't build a good organization over the long run by treating your colleagues like disposable trash.

2. Flaws aside, the Habs also have a lot of good things going for them, including a room that is, by all accounts, as tight as any in hockey. Therrien is, like it or not, part of that mix. Disposing of him for no compelling reason could alter those important dynamics.

3. Babcock is a great coach, but he is also a hard-assed, system-first guy who will continue to damp down the individuality of players like Subban and Beaulieu. This may be a minor issue, but if we want to see individual flair, he will not represent an improvement. (He would, however, turn us into the puck-possession monster of a team that many of us think we have the potential to become).

Still, if Zoot pulls the trigger on a move like that, I'd have no problem with it. My main defence of Therrien has been that he's no better or worse than any of the broad mass of competent modern NHL coaches out there. But Babcock is one of five or six truly elite coaches. That's another level.

Geoff Molson has been more than adamant that they will not hire unilingual Anglophones under any circumstances for the coach or GM position.

Guest Stogey24

If Babcock goes anywhere besides D-town(not going to happen), its back to Anaheim. Which highly unlikely too, unless Boudreau really shits the bed in the playoffs again.

Geoff Molson has been more than adamant that they will not hire unilingual Anglophones under any circumstances for the coach or GM position.

I think if a coach of Babcock's stature was available - who has some roots in Montreal, the policy could be tossed aside for him.

I think if a coach of Babcock's stature was available - who has some roots in Montreal, the policy could be tossed aside for him.

Babcock has said in the past he wouldn't accept a job with Montreal unless he was confident that he could speak fluent French in a hurry so as to not disrespect the fanbase. Mind you, that was quite a few years ago so that stance may have changed since then.

Guest Stogey24

Pretty sure Babcock wants more than just a coaching job, which Bergevin isn't going to give up.

Pretty sure Babcock wants more than just a coaching job, which Bergevin isn't going to give up.

Babcock has stated that he wants to increase the pay for coaches so he will want to be the highest paid coach in the nhl. MB is not going for that idea.

Bah!

Babcock is the best coach in the NHL now?

By what standard?

Therrien out, Babcock in? Not gonna happen.

Lateral move, they are not that much different.

When the habs go to hire a coach , the line of qualified candidates is extremely short. If not for french thing Therrien would still be an unemployed coach doing part time radio.

But that in no way means we are not stuck with him for awhile yet.