Habs Acquire Jeff Petry

Habsfan84

The first trade of the day as they acquire Petry. Not sure what its for. All they say is draft picks.

*update* second and conditional fifth. The conditions are that it turns to a fourth if we win a playoff round and a third if we win two

We did not give much. Excellent move!

We now have strong depth on D. I would like to improve the team at centre, but I guess that it is very hard to do. So far so good.

Solid solid move by MB. It's no vanek steal, but the best part is, we'll actually all be happier if we give up a 3rd instead of a 5th ;) I have a feeling petry will play better for us than Edmonton. Solid d core in Montreal now.

Who does petry play with?

Who does petry play with?

For now I put him with Beaulieu. We're set on the right side with Subban, Petry, Gilbert, and Weaver. That's the order I would play them in. On the left side we are also set with Markov, Beaulieu, Gonchar. When Emelin comes back we'll see what happens. Good depth to have. Tinordi and Pateryn are ready enough if injuries strike. I believe both those players jump Weaver if a major injury occurs

Two next year, not this year. The pick they got for Gorges was MIN's 2nd in 2016.

you mean Buffalo's?

you mean Buffalo's?

Its Minnesota's from the Moulson trade last deadline. Buffalo then flipped that to us in the Gorges trade if I remember it correctly

For now I put him with Beaulieu. We're set on the right side with Subban, Petry, Gilbert, and Weaver. That's the order I would play them in. On the left side we are also set with Markov, Beaulieu, Gonchar. When Emelin comes back we'll see what happens. Good depth to have. Tinordi and Pateryn are ready enough if injuries strike. I believe both those players jump Weaver if a major injury occurs

You got it figured out id say. I don't think Edmonton ever had Eberle on the board but do you think this trade decreases or increases the chances to deal with them for Eberle?

It would be damn nice to have that top line RW.

Eller, Emelin, one good prospect (not mccarron or scherbak) and our other second could get him?

You got it figured out id say. I don't think Edmonton ever had Eberle on the board but do you think this trade decreases or increases the chances to deal with them for Eberle?

Eller, Emelin, one good prospect (not mccarron or scherbak) and our other second could get him?

Not getting eberle for spare parts. First rounder will have to be included, and many teams will be willing to include it. Would love to have him though.

Healy was just touting Petri as Oilers best dman.

Its Minnesota's from the Moulson trade last deadline. Buffalo then flipped that to us in the Gorges trade if I remember it correctly

oh, okay. I thought we were going t get a better pick next year - guess it doesn't matter any more.

I'd move Tinordi before Mccarron or Sherbak. As much as I like Tinrodi, it doesn't look like he is going to get much of a chance in Montreal.

Markov - Subban

Beaulieu - Petry

Gonchar - Gilbert OR Emelin - Gonchar

Too bad for Pateryn. He looked good. He'll be insurance come the post-season.

Remember that pateryn has a one way contract next year. He should see more time with the big club then.

Also can't wait to hear an announcer say "Petri dishes" the puck

Not getting eberle for spare parts. First rounder will have to be included, and many teams will be willing to include it. Would love to have him though.

Healy was just touting Petri as Oilers best dman.

Fair enough that we will have to give up more. However I think Edmonton might actually be interested in Emelin, as they will be in need of a veteran defenceman, and are not cash strapped. Eller would similarly give them depth down the middle that they don't have. Maybe I'm just getting my hopes up here.

I'm with you on adding Tinordi first though. Maybe add tinordi a second AND another prospect

We're happy with this trade? He's not what this team needs.

An upgrade on a young injured defence seems necessary

oh, okay. I thought we were going t get a better pick next year - guess it doesn't matter any more.

I'd move Tinordi before Mccarron or Sherbak. As much as I like Tinrodi, it doesn't look like he is going to get much of a chance in Montreal.

Gonchar will be gone at end of season. Gilberts job can be taken. Emelin becoming an injury waiting to happen, and slightly over paid. There is a job there for an up an comer as early as next fall. Two years ago I thought JT was lock for the future. Now it is looking less likely. But he would be valuable in a trade i would gander.

Last night the price of players this year was so ridiculously high, I figured MB would stand pat. No, he went and somehow convinced the Oil to part with Petry for, what seems like today, a drastic discount price. Wow.

Guest Stogey24

Fair enough that we will have to give up more. However I think Edmonton might actually be interested in Emelin, as they will be in need of a veteran defenceman, and are not cash strapped. Eller would similarly give them depth down the middle that they don't have. Maybe I'm just getting my hopes up here.

I'm with you on adding Tinordi first though. Maybe add tinordi a second AND another prospect

An upgrade on a young injured defence seems necessary

Emelin is back next week. They needed hard nose player back there.

We're happy with this trade? He's not what this team needs.

Actually he's exactly what we needed one of the reasons we lost to Rangers was because our defense was too slow especially in that series. Also as Bergevin always says you can never have enough D.

Markov - Subban

Beaulieu - Petry

Gonchar - Gilbert OR Emelin - Gonchar

Too bad for Pateryn. He looked good. He'll be insurance come the post-season.

True. He is the seventh now. He will be called upon to play a part in the play offs. Last season we used i think 8 D in three rounds. Gonchar one big hit away from being out of line up again. Emelin will have marsh mallow shoulder for a time when he returns. Gilbert is a healthy scratch type player so Pats will asked to play a depth role. Possibly JT as well.