Official MLB Discussion Thread

Quebecois

So after Price signed, everyone expected the Dodgers to re-sign Zack Greinke. If not them, the Giants. Instead, he signs with Arizona. I don't think anyone saw that coming. Will he trump Price's AAV of $31 M per year?

Edit: Yes; yes he will. 6 years, $206.6 M - $34.43 M AAV. And I thought Price's deal was nuts...

So after Price signed, everyone expected the Dodgers to re-sign Zack Greinke. If not them, the Giants. Instead, he signs with Arizona. I don't think anyone saw that coming. Will he trump Price's AAV of $31 M per year?

Edit: Yes; yes he will. 6 years, $206.6 M - $34.43 M AAV. And I thought Price's deal was nuts...

A Rod signed for 10yrs 252 M to Texas in 2000--- it seems quite reasonable that there would be that much jump in 16 years--WOW

On the Toronto front-- still figuring out who's running the asylum-- left it too long to get top pitching. I figure they force teams to give up pitching by signing Davis and putting Encarnation on the market

Jason Heyward gets some pretty good coin from the Cubs, 8 years, $184 M. There's at least one person on here who I don't think is overly thrilled with that news... Chicago's looking pretty good right about now.

The Jays brought back Darwin Barney today, just over $1 M for the year. With Travis hurt to start the season (and potentially AAA bound as he'll have missed nearly a year when all is said and done), Barney's a nice bench MIF to have around.

Is Manfred saying that retired baseball players can't bet on baseball? I don't see how Rose's conduct after he has left the game is any business of Manfred's at all. What an arrogant JERK. I don't deny that he has the right to decide Rose's fate as far as reinstatement, but that is woeful rational as far as I am concerned.

Why include it at all. He has no business talking about Rose's habits outside of baseball. Period.

I agree, and Pete should be reinstated...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the jays should trade revere (6-7 million in arbitration) and run the cheaper Saunders/Pompey platoon in LF. Use the revere money to bolster that bullpen....

Any other suggestions you'd like to make? :) This one happened...

Any other suggestions you'd like to make? :) This one happened...

I'd like the Jays to trade R.A. Dickey to the Red Sox for David Price.

Yeah, that one probably isn't gonna happen.

Seriously though, there are trade rumors around Dickey to the N.L. and I think thats a mistake as no one else in the Jays rotation is a guy you can even pencil in with confidence for 200 IP. Even if he's not an ace, the Jays need Dickey to be a work horse.

Realistically I think there only move now is maybe one FA Bullpen arm. I wonder if Fernando Rodney could be signed relatively cheap (like 3-4 mill).

I'd like the Jays to trade R.A. Dickey to the Red Sox for David Price.

Yeah, that one probably isn't gonna happen.

Seriously though, there are trade rumors around Dickey to the N.L. and I think thats a mistake as no one else in the Jays rotation is a guy you can even pencil in with confidence for 200 IP. Even if he's not an ace, the Jays need Dickey to be a work horse.

Realistically I think there only move now is maybe one FA Bullpen arm. I wonder if Fernando Rodney could be signed relatively cheap (like 3-4 mill).

Unless they have another SP in mind via free agency, I'd be hesitant to move Dickey as well. Yes, he's frustrating to watch and isn't what he was even a couple of years ago but innings eaters have their value. Happ only goes 5-6 most nights, same with whichever of Hutchison/Chavez starts. That's two lengthy bullpen games right there each turn through the rotation. Sticking Sanchez in there has some upside but that's another long bullpen game more times than not.

The Jays have been linked to Rodney. Does he think he can get a higher leverage job elsewhere though? At the very least, the 8th/9th look like they're spoken for. Joe Blanton may be someone that could be useful. A former starter that looked a lot better in shorter stints last year - he could be a two-inning guy still and that's something that's going to be needed.

I expect the Blue Jays to have a brand new web site design in correlation to the new management team. This is the only reason I can think of, to essentially have the web site down for almost two weeks, (no new information).

• 2 months later...

I feel bad for the Montreal fans today watching the Jays/Red Sox. With ESPN bumping Toronto's season debut up to tomorrow, the Jays are going to be pulling their regulars really early this afternoon. They're going to pay top dollar to watch a AAA game for the most part.

On a happier note, the season starts tomorrow. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing if the Jays can continue their run. I'm also interested in the AL West to see if Houston really is ready to take that next step like many are projecting them to.

• 4 months later...

Baseball has lost some pretty big names in recent days. Mark Teixeira is retiring at the end of the year (I'll always be thankful for him having a career year in 2005 to help win me the HW Baseball pool - we've never had one since then), Alex Rodriguez is 'retiring' on Friday (while still being paid his full salary), and now Prince Fielder's career is over due to neck problems.

• 4 weeks later...

Found about an intersting stat today.

4 players did play the 9 positions within a single game :

Bert Campaneris in 1968

Cesar Tovar also in 1968

Scott Sheldon in 2000

Shane Halter also in 2000

(Sheldon)

(Halter)

• 3 weeks later...

The Jays did a nice job squandering their division lead but at least their pitching has come back in time to help them push for a wild card spot.  They've kept the Yankees in check so far.  Detroit/Baltimore should be a good battle for the last spot as well.

Some really sad news out of Miami as ace pitcher Jose Fernandez died this morning from a boating accident.  He was only 24.

• 2 weeks later...