Sept. 25 - Avs vs Habs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

A decline, really??!

I don't see it. I see a standout, durable (knocks wood) shut down centre who can be counted on for 40-50 points who might breakout for more in a good year.

The only way you could argue for a decline is if you take his 09-10 career high of 70 pts as his normal production which is obviously an unrealistic expectation.

As for me, I think most teams would be very happy to have a low-key veteran like plex who chips in offensively and often shuts down the oppositions best forwards.

www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=5638

year gp/points

05-06 67/29

06-07 81/47

07-08 81/69

08-09 80/39

09-10 82/70

10-11 71/57

11-12 81/52

12-13 47/33 (lockout)

13-14 81/43 (20 goals)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stogey24

A decline, really??!

I don't see it. I see a standout, durable (knocks wood) shut down centre who can be counted on for 40-50 points who might breakout for more in a good year.

The only way you could argue for a decline is if you take his 09-10 career high of 70 pts as his normal production which is obviously an unrealistic expectation.

As for me, I think most teams would be very happy to have a low-key veteran like plex who chips in offensively and often shuts down the oppositions best forwards.

www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=5638

year gp/points

05-06 67/29

06-07 81/47

07-08 81/69

08-09 80/39

09-10 82/70

10-11 71/57

11-12 81/52

12-13 47/33 (lockout)

13-14 81/43 (20 goals)

Ill be the first to say I'm not a fan of Turtle-plek, but the guy puts the work and is one the most consistent bodies on the team. I'd still trade him in a heartbeat though:)

So would I, if it made sense for the betterment of the team...and I think MB has clearly demonstrated that he does not allow sentiment to enter into the equation when making moves.

I don't feel a single forward on the team can handle the defensive responsibilities that Plekanec handles, and the closest we have to it a guy everyone seems to agree is on his way out (Moen).

The only way we can comfortably move Plekanec without creating a huge hole in the lineup is if the team plays a different style, one that reflects more about creating turnovers. I don't know if Eller and Galchenyuk can exactly do that yet.

I've always preferred the idea of Galchenyuk eventually replacing Desharnais in the lineup while Plekanec is eventually phased out when someone else can step into his role. I don't know if a player is defensively responsible at forward yet. We might as well trade for Loui Eriksson from the Bruins if we want to move Plek.

This may be the only time something like this ever gets asked but for those who saw the game, what was your take on Davis Drewiske? In a perfect world, he'd be the ideal #7, he's used to that role but showed in the past he can play 14-16 minutes a night when called upon. With his injury last year though, he fell completely off the radar.

Boy, all this anti-Pleks talk is just ridiculous. As others have noted in this thread, he is an excellent NHL C, universally respected in the game (and Marchand's "hatred" of him is another version of that respect). The idea that he has "no value" is absurd. He gets the most ice-time, draws the toughest minutes, and has the most complete, smartest game of any Habs' forward. That's not a guy I'm in any rush to trade right now. Of course, if - someday in the future - Eller shows he can be a reliably good hockey player, then it might be time to think about it. After the joke of a season Eller put together last year that should not even be a subject of conversation at present.

The criticisms seem to be based on the fact that he had the guts to call himself out for poor playoff performance back in 2008 (?) and that he wears a turtleneck. Whoa, Nelly, better get rid of him now.

Pleks reminded me of Dan Hamhuis in Vancouver. Both are highly efficient, useful, minutes-eating players who play the game in a diligent, consistent, committed, intelligent, all-around way. The result is that they are regarded as "vanilla" by their respective fan-bases. These guys are players' players. Move out Pleks when the time comes, not before.

Guest Stogey24

This may be the only time something like this ever gets asked but for those who saw the game, what was your take on Davis Drewiske? In a perfect world, he'd be the ideal #7, he's used to that role but showed in the past he can play 14-16 minutes a night when called upon. With his injury last year though, he fell completely off the radar.

I was watching Drewiske pretty closely, he's honestly not that bad. He's a big body too. I would not be against him in the #7 spot

I liked Drewiske's game yesterday. Stability, physical presence.

Liked Pateryn's game as well. He was really involved.

Beaulieu will need practice on the PP for both moving the puck right on the tape for a good onetimer feed and pulling the trigger one onetimer opportunities. But he's very promising on the offensive side of his game. VERY.

I trully understand that we can't have too many NHL ready dmen, but... I think we just have too many NHL ready dmen right now... :(

I have to make 1 last comment on Eller replacing Pleks. I really don't get it. Eller had a great playoffs, will he do it again? Who knows. But based on that 1 playoff you want to dump a top defensive centreman or move him to a position he is not as good at. Talk about shortsighted. Pleks is solid and gives it all every night. He drives other teams best players nuts. He is only 31 and I hear that his game is going downhill? Horsepucky. Let us wait untill we can make a reasoned decision, if Eller can push pleks out of the way, so be it, but untill I see some consistancy out of Mr Eller, I would say PLeks is going no where.

I was watching Drewiske pretty closely, he's honestly not that bad. He's a big body too. I would not be against him in the #7 spot

He's made for it. He's kinda like Peter Budaj in that you can play him cold and he'll still give you a ready effort. If his injuries are healed, he's ideal over Bouillon for that veteran press box job.

Guest Stogey24

He's made for it. He's kinda like Peter Budaj in that you can play him cold and he'll still give you a ready effort. If his injuries are healed, he's ideal over Bouillon for that veteran press box job.

Yup, like everyone has said, its better to have a vet sitting up there than one of the rookies

Agreed, he seems very strong physically, and looked like he was never out of place. Saw him in a whole new light...