Oct. 1 Canadiens @ Chicago 8:30PM EST

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Furthermore, I think Bowman has earned a "depth" contract.

Will he take that though? I would imagine quite a few teams have offered him a two-way deal. Part of the reason he went to camp on a PTO was likely to try to secure a one-way deal. Montreal is using him this preseason in a fourth line role, which is what he'd likely do if he made the team but at the same time, that's not helping him showcase himself to other teams. I'm hoping they can convince him to take a two-way deal and that they can run him through waivers, he'd be a decent call-up option when injuries strike.

Will he take that though? I would imagine quite a few teams have offered him a two-way deal. Part of the reason he went to camp on a PTO was likely to try to secure a one-way deal. Montreal is using him this preseason in a fourth line role, which is what he'd likely do if he made the team but at the same time, that's not helping him showcase himself to other teams. I'm hoping they can convince him to take a two-way deal and that they can run him through waivers, he'd be a decent call-up option when injuries strike.

Oh, I don't mean "depth in hamilton."

I mean depth in Montreal, even if he's that 21st or 22nd guy sitting in the press box some nights. Heck, if Moen's lost his touch, and Prust continues to have a glass shoulder, Bowman could be incredibly valuable to us.

Oh, I don't mean "depth in hamilton."

I mean depth in Montreal, even if he's that 21st or 22nd guy sitting in the press box some nights.

Ah, my bad. He could serve as a 22nd/23rd guy on the roster but given the glut of forwards there are now, there probably isn't a spot like that available (barring a trade or someone getting waived). I can't see them sending Sekac or Bournival (the only waiver-exempt forwards who are likely to make the team) down to open a spot for Bowman.

I really like Travis Moen, but I think he's losing his value in Montreal. Top notch effort, smart defensive play, but he looks... slow. Really slow. The playoffs last year I think showed me he can't do it anymore. At this moment, I'd rather have Drayson Bowman on the team.

Then again, Moen wasn't at 100%, and he's only 32 years old. Maybe I'm completely wrong.

I have to think Marc Bergevin signed Bowman to a PTO for a reason, though. Bowman has exceeded all expectations during this PTO. He's really been one of the best players on the ice for the preseason. If an outstanding tryout doesn't qualify one to make an offer after a PTO, I'm not sure about the point of the PTO.

I really like Travis Moen, but I think he's losing his value in Montreal. Top notch effort, smart defensive play, but he looks... slow. Really slow. The playoffs last year I think showed me he can't do it anymore. At this moment, I'd rather have Drayson Bowman on the team.

Then again, Moen wasn't at 100%, and he's only 32 years old. Maybe I'm completely wrong.

I have to think Marc Bergevin signed Bowman to a PTO for a reason, though. Bowman has exceeded all expectations during this PTO. He's really been one of the best players on the ice for the preseason. If an outstanding tryout doesn't qualify one to make an offer after a PTO, I'm not sure about the point of the PTO.

The question with Bowman vs Moen is whether or not it's worth losing the veteran leadership to save ~$300k in cap space to have perhaps a slightly better player sit in the press box most nights. That's really all they'd save presuming Moen is waived and clears. I'm also not sold that we're seeing the real Bowman. I've seen him plenty of times before with Carolina over the last few years, he was never any good in those games.

PTO's can be signed for a variety of reasons. Look at Bouillon, that was more or less a favour to the player more than a legitimate tryout (I'd be shocked if he made the team at this point). Sometimes it's a favour to an agent or someone working in the organization. Or in the case of the Islanders in past years and NJ this year, PTO's are to help get around the veteran minimum requirements for preseason games. I don't think any of these are the case with Bowman (though he helped with the veteran minimum a few times), I think they envisioned him as someone who could be a depth guy or good AHL'er, but sometimes even strong PTO performances don't yield contracts. If Bowman wants a one way deal, even if it's near the league minimum, I'm not sure the Habs will give it to him unless they're prepared to pay him NHL money in the minors.

I'm not sure the Habs will give it to him unless they're prepared to pay him NHL money in the minors.

Does that count against their salary cap? Without considering cap-space, Montreal can certainly afford to pay a Bulldog a league minimum NHL salary. Keep in mind, Bowman is only 25. He might be a career fourth liner, but he's young with his best years ahead of him.

Does that count against their salary cap? Without considering cap-space, Montreal can certainly afford to pay a Bulldog a league minimum NHL salary. Keep in mind, Bowman is only 25. He might be a career fourth liner, but he's young with his best years ahead of him.

Any contract over $925,000 this year (league minimum + $350K) would count in part on the cap. If Bowman were to sign for, say, $600k, there would be no cap hit. Anything over $925k though (it's highly unlikely he'd get that much) and the difference would count on the cap.

PTO's can be signed for a variety of reasons. Look at Bouillon, that was more or less a favour to the player more than a legitimate tryout (I'd be shocked if he made the team at this point).

Perhaps I spoke too soon. Today's cuts have likely greatly increased Bouillon's chances of making the team...

Perhaps I spoke too soon. Today's cuts have likely greatly increased Bouillon's chances of making the team...

Interesting. Pateryn reassigned to Hamilton, Drewiske on waivers.

Tinordi, Beaulieu, Dietz, and Bouillon still with the team.

I'm still not seeing room for Cube there. We've got 5 established veterans who are guaranteed their spots for now.

Dietz will be sent down. Beaulieu will take the 6th spot, Tinordi will be 7th.

Interesting. Pateryn reassigned to Hamilton, Drewiske on waivers.

Tinordi, Beaulieu, Dietz, and Bouillon still with the team.

I'm still not seeing room for Cube there. We've got 5 established veterans who are guaranteed their spots for now.

Dietz will be sent down. Beaulieu will take the 6th spot, Tinordi will be 7th.

There's no way they put Tinordi in the press box for 60 games. Brace yourselves for another year of the Cube.

There's no way they put Tinordi in the press box for 60 games. Brace yourselves for another year of the Cube.

I suppose if it's done in order to keep Tinordi developing, as opposed to allowing him to stagnate in the press-box, that's okay. It's not like Cube's on-ice results are anything to complain about, and it's not like we care if his skills suffer from non-use.

Well if it is another year of Frankie eating hot dogs, I guess so be it. I can see that they do not want Tinordi sitting eating hot dogs. Imagine the cost.

Surprised how sketchy Tinordi's play is.

Pateryn seemed to play fairly solid cept for gaff 4 on 4.

But Beaulieu joining the rush and give & go tap-in goal is some tantalizing, the kid can play and could be a nice asset with plays like that.

He must have spot locked up next to Weaver.

Considering our 7th and 8th defencemen both played over 50 games last year, I don't see why you think Tinordi would sit in the press box for 60 games as the 7th.

Injuries will happen. Sometimes Beaulieu or Weaver will sit.

Why not keep Tinordi as the 7th and wait and see if injuries happen or Beaulieu screws up? I would platoon both Tinordi and Beaulieu in/out of the lineup to start. Heck, with the way Emelin has been playing maybe he'll be the 7th defenceman!

Why not take 82 games for 5th dman and 82 games for 6th dman for a total of 164 games and split it in 3 with Weaver, Tinordi and Beaulieu ? That is 54,666 games each... No ?

Why not take 82 games for 5th dman and 82 games for 6th dman for a total of 164 games and split it in 3 with Weaver, Tinordi and Beaulieu ? That is 54,666 games each... No ?

It took me a moment to remember that in french, decimal points use a comma.