McCarron cut from US Jr. Team summer camp

ICEWATER77

uh-ohhh, do I smell first round bust, or is this yet another case of big body/slow development?

Funny how you forgot to include Lucic in your comparison, I don't recal him being selected to the Canadian team either and yet he is a player all GMs would be watering their mouths to have on their team.

McCarron wil need some time to develop, time will tell.

In London, he wil be getting PP time unlike last season. Mtl needed size and will be patient with his dev't. Should it take an additional year, no worries as long as McCaron continues to improve.

• Upvote 1

Well, he was cut from camp, not the final roster. With great play he could still make it. My bet is that he would need to put up a point per game with London, while showing a two way physical game to make it now. I think we'd all be happy if he accomplished that this year

uh-ohhh, do I smell first round bust, or is this yet another case of big body/slow development?

The team is stacked. They have Eichel, and a whole host of awesome forwards this year. (Look out Canada).

McCarron shouldn't have been a first rounder, he should have been picked later in the second round, but because of his size, and having three picks in ten spots, the Habs took a flyer on him.

He's just not that great. That doesn't mean he can't have an NHL career, but I don't expect him to be Keith Primeau. I think he can be a really good third liner and pick up some goals in front of the net on the powerplay.

The team is stacked. They have Eichel, and a whole host of awesome forwards this year. (Look out Canada).

McCarron shouldn't have been a first rounder, he should have been picked later in the second round, but because of his size, and having three picks in ten spots, the Habs took a flyer on him.

He's just not that great. That doesn't mean he can't have an NHL career, but I don't expect him to be Keith Primeau. I think he can be a really good third liner and pick up some goals in front of the net on the powerplay.

I still cringe about not trading up to 20 for Mantha.

Maybe our first pick and Leblanc would have done it?

same here.

if McCaron develops at least to the level Leblanc was showing in 211-2012 but with his size, he would have a bottom 6 NHL future.

ugh...leblanc!! now there was a wasted pick if I ever saw one! mccaron will take time for sure. theyre saying he'll get his shot this year in London. hopefully he takes full advantage

Leblanc is why i never want another draft in Montreal again.

I was fine with the Leblanc pick when it was taken. I still think he got a raw deal in Montreal. Will be interesting to see how he does in Anaheim, where they will definitely play you on higher lines if you perform. That's why Pat Maroon got quality minutes. I see him being a bottom six forward for years to come, better than Chipchura.

Guest Stogey24

I was fine with the Leblanc pick when it was taken. I still think he got a raw deal in Montreal. Will be interesting to see how he does in Anaheim, where they will definitely play you on higher lines if you perform. That's why Pat Maroon got quality minutes. I see him being a bottom six forward for years to come, better than Chipchura.

Leblanc definitely got a back seat ride in Montreal.

I agree he got a raw deal, but when you consider he was a thin, underweight kid and taking into consideration his size and lack of speed, would he have been drafted if wasn't a French kid and the draft wasn't in the Bell centre? Kreider went right after him.

Couple of quick notes:

- We have a prospects subforum where discussions like this should go. I'll keep this in this forum for a bit though.

- I fixed the title to accurately reflect what happened - McCarron was cut from the final game of their summer camp, not necessarily the team altogether. Players who do get cut there can still make (and have made in prior years) the team.

I agree he got a raw deal, but when you consider he was a thin, underweight kid and taking into consideration his size and lack of speed, would he have been drafted if wasn't a French kid and the draft wasn't in the Bell centre? Kreider went right after him.

I remember the draft. Few scouting agencies had him going outside the Top 20 let alone where we selected him. Same goes with Beaulieu, who some are already trying to act like we took just because of his name when he fell to us. Leblanc was almost selected by the Ducks but they took Holland instead.

2009 was a pretty weak draft in the first round. Beyond the Top 10 it's a mishmash of busting or under-performing players. Leblanc has underperformed.

Here's the NHL Central Scouting from 2009, with Leblanc at #13. We selected 18th: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=31411

Here's Bob McKenzie having him at 17th: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?fid=11892

You can search for others but that's two that ranked Leblanc higher than Kreider. Had nothing to do with his birthplace (maybe Montreal drafting him did since fans were chanting his name but he was not selected out of rank). Had more to do with Mike Richards being a major NHL superstar at the time and Leblanc being compared very closely to him.

thanks Machine, I didn't think I would get such a reaction.

All I am saying, McCaron may turn out to be the player Leblanc (or Dumont, or Holland) was projected to be, but with size.

Bust.

He can't score in the OHL when his big body gives him a huge advantage.

Honestly I wouldn't have picked him before the third round (and had him at #60 in my preview).

Hated the pick then... hate it now.

If we look around the league... even third and fourth line NHLers are dominant scorers in junior.

Also this idea that "big bodies develop later" is kind of a myth when we talk about Junior. Lucic was a PPG player at the same age. Most big forwards can score in Junior. Sure they might struggle in the AHL or NHL, but there is no reason he should struggle like this against his own age group if he's a legit prospect.

I wouldn't read much into it. He's not exactly the fastest skater. I think Stevie Y showed during the Olympics last year that speed rules in international play.

They are playing on NHL sized ice this year (Montreal/Toronto) not Olympic Ice.

Also we shouldn't need to teach a first round pick how to skate. Take a project later like Crisp? fine. Take a project who could top out as a third liner in the first round? Stupid.

Bust.

He can't score in the OHL when his big body gives him a huge advantage.

Honestly I wouldn't have picked him before the third round (and had him at #60 in my preview).

Hated the pick then... hate it now.

If we look around the league... even third and fourth line NHLers are dominant scorers in junior.

Also this idea that "big bodies develop later" is kind of a myth when we talk about Junior. Lucic was a PPG player at the same age. Most big forwards can score in Junior. Sure they might struggle in the AHL or NHL, but there is no reason he should struggle like this against his own age group if he's a legit prospect.

Ryan White had 89 points in 72 games the year after he was drafted. The only real berth I give McCarron is that he had to move away home to Canada. Maybe he was sheltered as a kid and had a hard time adjusting. I think if he went to Western Michigan instead, the numbers would paint a rosier picture.

Ryan White had 89 points in 72 games the year after he was drafted. The only real berth I give McCarron is that he had to move away home to Canada. Maybe he was sheltered as a kid and had a hard time adjusting. I think if he went to Western Michigan instead, the numbers would paint a rosier picture.

While their is a border between the two, London is closer to Ann Arbor (where the USNTDP is) than Western Michigan. Its only about 2 hours from London to Detroit.

Draft pick deals dont work like that often.

It would of been Habs 1st and a 2nd pick (in same year to of moved up).

So would be more like McCarron and Fucale or de la Rose for Mantha, who could be a nice NHLer, or just as easy not be?

But I am not sure I would trade de la Rose or Fucale by themselves for Mantha.

He played 66 games with the USNTDP in 2012-13.

Use Elite Prospects not... hockeydb.

Note when looking at the elite prospects... .you add his USDP line + his WJC-18 line to see how many games he played. The 19 games of USHL are already included in the USDP line, but the 7 games of WJC-18 are not.

The USNTDP playes over 70 games a year, some are USHL games (count in the standings but U18 team is not eligible for playoffs, only the U17 team is, due to the IIHF U18s being at the same time as USHL)... a ton more games against NCAA Competition.... a bunch of international tourneys... 5 nations and others.... Its a pretty rigorous schedule, and the competition level is as good or better than being in the OHL. The idea that the number of games or level of competition is a step up in the OHL is a myth.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=135703