NHL playoffs Quarter- Finals

DON

My dad (in his early 70's) is a Red Wings fan, he grew up near Gordie's home town in Saskatchewan, and moved to Windsor in his 20's. I'd love Montreal to play Detroit, just so I can drive up to my parents' place and watch the games with my dad and trashtalk.

that would be cool.

And 2-0. It's over. We're facing Tampa.

Bishop was lights out tonight.

And with that, in our office pool, I predicted every series in the east...correctly. And every series in the west...completely wrong.

Guest Stogey24

Well, we beat em' last year boys. We can do it again this year

And 2-0. It's over. We're facing Tampa.

Bishop was lights out tonight.

Not really

I was really hoping for Detroit....we need to find our scoring touch against Tampa and we really need to find a way to make the powerplay work if we are going to win this series

The Habs are a different beast in the playoffs.

DSP Mitchell & Flynn all up to speed. DLR & Pateryn contributing. Beaulieu is a noticeable but surmountable loss.

Im worried about Tampa's scoring depth.

..but think the Habs can exploit their D better than a tough & mobile Sens D.

If the Habs are to succeed, this has to be a pretty boring series. The Lightning can burn them with a two stride head start in the neutral zone.

The Red Wings succeeded because they bottled up the neutral zone and their forwards were right on top of them. The Wings played as a tight five man unit.

Ben Bishop looked really shaky. The Wings missed two grade A chances in the second period that would have put them away. If I'm a Lightning fan, the idea of Ben Bishop in the Bell Center for Games 1 and 7 is a terrifying thought.

Being a young team, according to Pierre, getting a goal really helped their confidence. I don't think he's wrong about that.

Their forwards are dynamite, but their defense and goaltending are nothing to write home about. Their power play has been as bad as ours. Their intangibles are highly suspect, and after winning five in a row, I wonder how much they have left to get up for the games?

Price vs Bishop. Like that match up.

I like out D better.....however with markov not playing like markov that changes our d. Petry addition looks even bigger now. He was our best d against sens. Emelin and Gilly will be eaten up by Johnson and company, not for the first time either. Patryn in for NB fine with. He has been rock solid.

Habs top six scored 4 goals in sens series. (not counting max empty netter) That has to change.

TB had a tough series and now they get to fly to Montreal and play Friday. Hopefully the boys jump on them early and blow Bishp out of the net.

you know how it goes. Habs win and the break "helped them". Habs lose and the break "hindered them". ha!

Boy oh boy. We have two teams that kicked the crap out of us all season- Ottawa and TB - and we draw BOTH of them for the first two rounds. The hockey gods sure don't make it easy.

Tampa has to be seen as the favourite going into this series, obviously. Not only did they just hammer us all season long, but they've gone through the classic first-round 'narrow escape' that so often proves propulsive to high-end teams as they launch a Cup run.

That said, the Habs handled Ottawa much more easily than I thought they would (I predicted a Habs' defeat), and have a 'battle-hardened' playoff quality to them that Tampa probably doesn't. And we have Price. Still...it's gonna be a doozy. Lovett is right; our game will have to be to play extremely tight and disciplined defensive hockey, and hope to be opportunistic in our scoring. That, plus great goaltending, is the historic recipe the Habs have always used when going up against high-powered offences. We have the team to play this way. Let's hope it works.

After disposing of the Sens, who many picked to beat the Habs, I look forward to the challenge of playing the Bolts. I'm sure many have the second place Habs as an underdog yet again in this series. All I know is it would be even sweeter lifting the Cup going through the Sens, Bolts, and Rangers, when those are the teams that most feared the Habs playing. #redemption

• Upvote 1

Feared opponent I heard was Sens and now Tampa.

But Sens are golfing, Habs are 5/2 to win East and 6/1 to win cup and Tampa isn't.

SO, sorry we cant play the underdog card in this series. :canada:

After disposing of the Sens, who many picked to beat the Habs, I look forward to the challenge of playing the Bolts. I'm sure many have the second place Habs as an underdog yet again in this series. All I know is it would be even sweeter lifting the Cup going through the Sens, Bolts, and Rangers, when those are the teams that most feared the Habs playing. #redemption

Ha ha, yeah, that is a sweeeet scenario! Beating all three of those would pretty much settle any question about which team is ACTUALLY the best in the Conference.

But, one series - heck, one game - at a time. Five games from now, we could all be crying in our beer going 'why did it have to be Tampa Bay? WHYYYY?'

If we beat Tampa with Bishop in the playoffs, it shuts everyone up from last year. I would like to shut everyone up.

We also shut down Stamkos last year and everyone made excuses. Well the Wings shut him down too. If we shut him down again, the excuses stop.

Didn't say that. My only prediction is that it'll be a long series. (If it's not, that'll because TB steamrolled us).

Having watched five of the seven games between the Wings and Lightning, I can say that there's just as much of a chance for us to steamroll the Lightning as there is for them to steamroll us.

Tampa is an excellent team, very well built, very fast, knows how to control the puck, solid goaltending. Where Tampa suffers is experience and coaching. Jon Cooper is such an overrated coach. Even I bought into it last year. The guy gets absolutely saved by the pure talent on his team (I'm sure a Therrien hater would come out and say that sounds familiar, but remember who won last time these two faced). He doesn't know how to line match. Has no clue. He was saved last series by Johnson and Kucherov because he couldn't figure out how to give Steven Stamkos favourable match-ups AT HOME. They have emotion issues. Tampa only has one gear. If the game changes, they won't know what to do.

The player I fear most on Tampa is not Bishop or Stamkos. It's Stralman, and Stralman is back in the lineup and healthy. If we can get around Stralman, our top forwards will score.

Fear or not, I'm gonna sit confident on my five game prediction for the Habs. We'll take game one, maybe lose game two, stun the Lightning in the back to back 3 and 4 and finish it off at home.

Having watched five of the seven games between the Wings and Lightning, I can say that there's just as much of a chance for us to steamroll the Lightning as there is for them to steamroll us.

Tampa is an excellent team, very well built, very fast, knows how to control the puck, solid goaltending. Where Tampa suffers is experience and coaching. Jon Cooper is such an overrated coach. Even I bought into it last year. The guy gets absolutely saved by the pure talent on his team (I'm sure a Therrien hater would come out and say that sounds familiar, but remember who won last time these two faced). He doesn't know how to line match. Has no clue. He was saved last series by Johnson and Kucherov because he couldn't figure out how to give Steven Stamkos favourable match-ups AT HOME. They have emotion issues. Tampa only has one gear. If the game changes, they won't know what to do.

The player I fear most on Tampa is not Bishop or Stamkos. It's Stralman, and Stralman is back in the lineup and healthy. If we can get around Stralman, our top forwards will score.

Fear or not, I'm gonna sit confident on my five game prediction for the Habs. We'll take game one, maybe lose game two, stun the Lightning in the back to back 3 and 4 and finish it off at home.

That would be sick as I got tix for game 5 !!! :D

If we play like we can, and roar out of the gate, we have a chance to destroy their confidence right off the bat. If we get a few goals on bishop in the first game, the seeds of doubt will be cast. They may be coming into this series on a real high and be oveconfident thinking we have our goalie this time. I think the first 2 games are very important to us, cause we can't let them get up on us. We must play 60 minutes a game. If Gilbert has as many giveaways against this team as he had against the Hens we could be in big trouble. If we can get our PP working it will give us a big advantage cause their PP is as bad as ours is. Hopefully Patches is back to normal and starts scoring, even when the goalie is in the net. :):habslogo:

Boy oh boy. We have two teams that kicked the crap out of us all season- Ottawa and TB - and we draw BOTH of them for the first two rounds. The hockey gods sure don't make it easy.

Tampa has to be seen as the favourite going into this series, obviously. Not only did they just hammer us all season long, but they've gone through the classic first-round 'narrow escape' that so often proves propulsive to high-end teams as they launch a Cup run.

That said, the Habs handled Ottawa much more easily than I thought they would (I predicted a Habs' defeat), and have a 'battle-hardened' playoff quality to them that Tampa probably doesn't. And we have Price. Still...it's gonna be a doozy. Lovett is right; our game will have to be to play extremely tight and disciplined defensive hockey, and hope to be opportunistic in our scoring. That, plus great goaltending, is the historic recipe the Habs have always used when going up against high-powered offences. We have the team to play this way. Let's hope it works.

We've seen a couple times during the season where the Lightning put the Habs away with 2-3 goals in half a period. If they play wide open, theyr'e cooked.

TIme to settle in for some seriously boring hockey and wait for the Therrien Trap™ to be set.

What we need.

1 : Stamkos to remain as silent as he already is.

2 : Find a way to stop Palat-Johnson-Kucherov. Probably through Plekanec.

3 : Max Pacioretty. The one from the regular season.

4 : Andrei Markov. The one from the regular season.

5 : Our usual penalty kill.

6 : 15% on the power play. Somewhow, they have to be clutch enough to get those big goals, even though it's not 100% mandatory if point 7 happens...

7 : Carey ing Price !!!!!