Question: Will the Habs have the money and desire to sign Jeff Petry?

REV-G

Just a straightforward question......can they and will they resign Petry? I really like him and hope they do? What do you think?

Let's say the cap stays where it is.

Allen, Weaver and Gonchar come off the cap as well as Malhotra, Mitchell and all of the money that was spent by players we got rid of (Bourque, Sekac, Moen). We have Galchenyuk, Flynn, Beaulieu and Petry to re-sign.

Forwards signed: 10

Defencemen signed: 5 (with Petry)

Goalies signed: 2

Meaning if we re-sign Flynn and Galchenyuk we're at 12 forwards and if we re-sign Beaulieu and Petry we have 7 defencemen. That leaves room for maybe one more forward to add onto the cap.

From my calculations, the 17 players we have signed costs us $58.212M and with a cap at $70M, that leaves us $11.78M to sign those four plus add another forward. That would make our roster:

Pacioretty - DD - Gallagher

Galchenyuk - Plekanec - PAP

DLR - Eller - DSP

Prust - Flynn - Weise

13th Forward

Markov - Subban

Emelin - Petry

Beaulieu - Gilbert

Pateryn

Price

Tokarski

13th Forward: Either re-sign Torrey Mitchell for cheap like $900,000 or bring up an AHLer like Michael Bournival for the same.

Flynn: Probably re-sign him for $850K much like Malhotra.

Beaulieu: Probably re-sign him for Weaver's amount in a bridge deal for $1.75M

Galchenyuk: Either the team gives him a bridge, which will be less than Johansen's cap hit of $4M or the team gives him a long term extension similar to Seguin and he makes between $5.5-$6.5M

Petry: Depending on what kind of contract Galchenyuk gets, we have two options. Option 1 Galchenyuk takes the bridge and we can pay Petry around $4.25M. Or Option 2 regardless if he takes the bridge or not, Montreal buys out P.A. Parenteau's contract, eats around $1.75M of a cap hit and now has money to sign Galchenyuk at $6M and Petry at $5M. Team would be running 12 forwards which isn't ideal but at least the whole team fits.

Maybe I'm wrong on some calculations but that's what I can figure. I'm expecting Galchenyuk on a bridge of around $3.5M while we buy out PAP, re-sign Petry for $4.5M per season and have room to have both Bournival and Mitchell.

Just a straightforward question......can they and will they resign Petry? I really like him and hope they do? What do you think?

Tha capologist dlbalr says highly unlikely to be a fit, is not gonna work to spend that much on defense, so forget about it!

Is Vanek 2.0 strictly a rental!

Be fine without him and should smartly spend the $$ on a top six forward upgrade.

Petry will easily get at LEAST $5m as a UFA,probably closer to $6m.

There is no question that the Habs would like to keep Petry; can they swing it is a whole other matter. At what point does he become more valuable to you long term than Markov? I don't want to get ahead of myself, but the announcement today of a rink to be built in Seattle tentatively and the noise in Las Vegas would suggest that there will be a waiver draft in our near future. That would need to be in the thought process.

Probably. If Petry's priority is to be part of a winning team with a high ceiling, he might take less to re-sign. If his goal is to simply cash in, then there is no way we keep him.

If I were in Petry's shoes, eh... skates, I would be anxious to stay with a winner where I fit in after escaping that horror show in EDM.....but who knows what his agent or significant other will influence him to do. I think the Canadiens would like to keep him, but where does this leave Tinordi?

I wouldn't buy out PAP without trying to trade him, he still has some value imo. A lot of signing Petry depends on who they keep long term. Pateryn Beaulieu, Tinordi, Gilbert. I would get rid of Gilbert if it helped Petry to stay. Gonna be an interesting off season, and a lot of it depends on how far we go. If it looks like we got the makings to go all the way, then it's bals to the walls boys. We do need a sniper in the worst way. I'd say priority 1 is a sniper. But if we can keep Petry and accomplish that great.

Keeping Petry would be great on one specific front in my books, give time for both Beaulieu to mature, and Markov to decline, Gilbert isn't gonna be the stop gap....

I hope they find a way to keep Petry, I like his game a lot.

Guest Stogey24

I don't want him for the price. He'll play 20 minutes as a number four and get 20-30 points. A team with a desperate need will dramatically overpay him. Maybe 6x5. They have enough Beaulieu in the system who can do that for less.

It would have been nice if Tinordi stepped up.

petry will not be getting 6/7 million... and if he does he'll deserve it and we'll finally have 25 cups!

but id definitely have him back, he's arguably our best defender at the moment or at least playing right up there with PK at the moment (relax all the pk fans). petry is a great no.2 righty behind PK no doubt and i would give him 5.5 any day of the week! beaulieau pateryn, tinordi and any other in our system isn't even close to him at the moment. but........... lets just worry about the playoffs right now, no distractions

Beaulieu can't do his job. Nobody in our system can play RD behind Subban.

He deserves Hamrlik money.

If we give him 5 x 5 or even 4.5 x 5, we'll regret it by year two. We've got the D, we need to target scoring with that money.

A guy or five like him is available every trade deadline.

Beaulieu can't do his job. Nobody in our system can play RD behind Subban.

He deserves Hamrlik money.

Wow. Thought the same thing.. If we were good paying Hamrlik 5.5 back then..

Keep Petry.. move Gilbert.. start Pateryn. All good.

If we give him 5 x 5 or even 4.5 x 5, we'll regret it by year two. We've got the D, we need to target scoring with that money.

A guy or five like him is available every trade deadline.

People said that last summer and we came out of it with Tom Gilbert and had to trade for Sergei Gonchar at some point. I'd prefer we lock up Petry and not keep giving up draft picks to get a guy like him. Look how many draft picks we've given up over the year to get Schneider, Wiz and Petry just because we undervalued the #3 D position. If we had a right handed D-man with top four potential I'd say let him walk. We don't.

People said that last summer and we came out of it with Tom Gilbert and had to trade for Sergei Gonchar at some point. I'd prefer we lock up Petry and not keep giving up draft picks to get a guy like him. Look how many draft picks we've given up over the year to get Schneider, Wiz and Petry just because we undervalued the #3 D position. If we had a right handed D-man with top four potential I'd say let him walk. We don't.

That's just too much money for me. We'll have the highest paid defense in the league, and looking into the crystal ball, we'll probably be eliminated this year because of scoring. I just don't see it.

Petry has 7 points in 25 games, with zippo in the Sens series. Color me unimpressed.

That's just too much money for me. We'll have the highest paid defense in the league, and looking into the crystal ball, we'll probably be eliminated this year because of scoring. I just don't see it.

Petry has 7 points in 25 games, with zippo in the Sens series. Color me unimpressed.

Maybe you don't realize this but we spent $6.8M this season on defencemen we're currently not using in Allen, Weaver and Gonchar. Allen and Weaver are $3M combined that's going to be free next season, as well as Gonchar's $3.8M. Petry was a $3M defenceman we only paid like $600K this season.

That's all while overpaying PAP who should be bought out or dumped and our only big cap increases are Gallagher making $3.75M now and whatever Galchenyuk gets. Because our cap is one of the best managed caps in the NHL, next summer sees $10.8M come off the cap, an extra $4M if Parenteau stays that long. And the only RFAs needing new contracts next summer is DSP, Pateryn and Tokarski.

Do we have an expensive defence? Sure. How is that a bad thing when it includes a Top 3 D-Man, a Top 20 D-Man and could also feature Petry, who is only 26, fits great on the Habs and has already proven that if Subban went down, he'd be there to fill in his spot? We made the mistake of letting Wiz walk. We shouldn't do it again and let Petry walk.

I like the Hamrlik parallel. Or Dan Hamuis. Petry seems to be the same kind of 'stabilizing' all-around defenceman. Very valuable on this squad.

I want to sign him, but I also think there's a touch of naivete about some of the posts advocating this. At 26, he is going to want EITHER a massive overpay (which he will get on the open market) OR a long-term deal (say, 6-8 years, why not) - or both.

The idea that he is a 'transition' from Markov to Beaulieu, then, doesn't really hold up. If we sign him, it will be as a long-term core player, who will still be paid long after Beaulieu has supplanted Markov.

It's fine to say we have the moolah to sign him. But maybe the right question is: what is an overpay for Petry? And is he the guy to overpay?

There is no high-end scoring W in the system. Do we really want $5 mil+ locked into Petry for 6-8 years?

Unless he's so thrilled to be here that he's OK with a cut rate salary, the admirable goal of keeping this fine asset will likely come crashing against the realities of a cap system.

Last summer, the big D ticket prices were:

- Matt Niskanen, 26, signed with Capitals for 6 year deal at $5.75M cap hit after he posted a 46 point season with the Penguins and had 9 points in 13 playoff games.

- Brooks Orpik, 32, signed with Capitals for 4 year deal at $5.5M cap hit. Was more of a defensive D-Man but could put up 15-20 points on Penguins due to his top four time.

- Nic Hjalmarsson, 26, re-signed with Blackhawks on 4 year deal at $4.2M cap hit. #3 defenceman in Chicago but could become #2 if Brent Seabrook leaves.

- Jonathan Ericsson, 28, re-signed with Red Wings on 6 year deal at $4.25M cap hit. 15 points a year defenceman.

- Kris Letang, 26, re-signed with Penguins on a 8 year deal at $7.25M cap hit. 40-60 point defenceman made of glass.

- Dion Phaneuf, 28, re-signed with Maple Leafs on a 7 year deal at $7M cap hit. Dion Phaneuf.

This season, the big D contracts were:

- Johnny Boychuk, 30, acquired from Boston for two second round picks and signed by Islanders for 7 year deal at 6M cap hit. Posted 35 points.

- Nick Leddy, 23, acquired from Chicago and signed by Islanders for 7 year deal at $5.5M cap hit. Posted 37 points.

- TJ Brodie, 24, signed extension with Calgary for 5 year deal at $4.65M cap hit. Posted 41 points.

- Jake Muzzin, 25, signed extension with LA for 5 year deal at $4M cap hit. Posted 41 points.

- Alec Martinez, 26, signed extension with LA for 6 year deal at $4M cap hit. 20 point D-Man.

- Marco Scandella, 24, signed extension with Minnesota for 5 year deal at $4M cap hit. 20 point defenceman.

- Andy Greene, 30, signed extension with New Jersey for 5 year deal at $5M . 20 to 30 point defenceman.

- Marc Staal, 27, signed extension with New York for 6 year deal at $5.7M. Often injured, 25 point defenceman. Almost taken over Price in 2005 by Habs.

- Mark Methot, 29, signed extension with Ottawa for 4 year deal at $4.9M. 20 point defenceman, top pair with Erik Karlsson.

So... I hope this helps make something clear. 20 point D-Men cost you at least $4M on the market or even re-signing today while the 30 points and up guys hit $5.5M and more. Scoring is down and young puck moving D-Men get locked up and those blueliners who can get you 20-40 points will burn you $4M-$6M on the cap. That's the reality of the cap world today. Adjust accordingly.

I'll take Bieksa for a third at the draft.

He's a righty, can play on the first pairing if injuries happen, but is better suited to 2nd pairing duty next year. He's got one year left on his deal and he's a righty.

Markov-Subban

Beaulieu/Gilbert-Bieksa

Emelin/Gilbert-Pateryn

Tinordi

But you know, the Habs have three good young dmen who aren't waiver eligible, so likely they roll with them, or trade one at the draft. I wouldn't want to lose Pateryn or Tinordi to waivers. They might not pick up any other dmen.

Maybe you don't realize this but we spent $6.8M this season on defencemen we're currently not using in Allen, Weaver and Gonchar. Allen and Weaver are $3M combined that's going to be free next season, as well as Gonchar's $3.8M. Petry was a $3M defenceman we only paid like $600K this season.

That's all while overpaying PAP who should be bought out or dumped and our only big cap increases are Gallagher making $3.75M now and whatever Galchenyuk gets. Because our cap is one of the best managed caps in the NHL, next summer sees $10.8M come off the cap, an extra $4M if Parenteau stays that long. And the only RFAs needing new contracts next summer is DSP, Pateryn and Tokarski.

Do we have an expensive defence? Sure. How is that a bad thing when it includes a Top 3 D-Man, a Top 20 D-Man and could also feature Petry, who is only 26, fits great on the Habs and has already proven that if Subban went down, he'd be there to fill in his spot? We made the mistake of letting Wiz walk. We shouldn't do it again and let Petry walk.

agree for the most part except petry is much better then wiz and in hindsight it was a great move not signing wiz as his contract is horrible for on ice results. also note wiz was dealt for more and he was riding the playoff pine...

They should definitely try to keep him.

They can trade a few of the softer players PAP, DD Pleks, 3 of the D are coming off the books,

They will need a legit top 6 forward as well.

MB will make him an offer, I wouldn't over pay for him.

Did you see Beiksa and the Canucks slow defense get exposed against calgary?

I'll pass on Beiksa. It's round three years too late to acquire him.

I'll take Bieksa for a third at the draft.

He's a righty, can play on the first pairing if injuries happen, but is better suited to 2nd pairing duty next year. He's got one year left on his deal and he's a righty.

Markov-Subban

Beaulieu/Gilbert-Bieksa

Emelin/Gilbert-Pateryn

Tinordi

But you know, the Habs have three good young dmen who aren't waiver eligible, so likely they roll with them, or trade one at the draft. I wouldn't want to lose Pateryn or Tinordi to waivers. They might not pick up any other dmen.