Series Discussion Thread: Montreal vs Tampa Bay

dlbalr

A repeat of game#1's effort by the Habs and I like their chances to win one at least.

Can they retain composure/focus and act a bit more professional when a bad break/call or two happens?

I think you are confusing what should happen with what actually does happen. Like it or not, players are human beings who do NOT just get up every morning and happily whistle on their way to work. Teams do tune coaches out. It happened to Martin (and then to his successor Cunneyworth), and it happened in spectacular fashion to Carbo. It will happen to Therrien as well, eventually and inevitably. His message will get stale and players will stop buying in in the enthusiastic way they did, say, in Game One and the first period of Game Two of this series.

I agree with bringing in a young forward. Our forward unit is in crisis. A young guy is not a fix over a longer duration, but in the short term can add a real burst of energy and unexpectedness. Go for it.

Yeah I guess you're right in that I may have misinterpreted the manner in which you meant "tuning out" the coach. I kind of took it as maliciously going against what the coach says like a child who doesn't like following rules. After awhile a system can get old and the players may be less willing to execute it to a proper extent. I think that can also be said for a lot of things though. For instance, a player may be less enthusiastic to show up to the rink in game 73 of the season than they were in game 1 of the season, regardless of the coach. Like you inferred, it's pretty much a natural process but I don't think it has happened yet in year four of Therrien's tenure (not that you do either).

I agree with bringing in a young forward. Our forward unit is in crisis. A young guy is not a fix over a longer duration, but in the short term can add a real burst of energy and unexpectedness. Go for it.

This team needs some freaking razzle-dazzle.

Get the puck, carry it to the red line, dump er in, or hang out at the blue line and look for a stretch pass. On defense, get the the puck and rim it around the boards. Have three forwards on the PP facing Subban waiting for the slap-shot.

This is boring for me and I like watching Floyd Mayweather fight.

The way Tampa Bay plays is better for the fans. They might be the most fun team to watch in all of hockey. Until Coach Coop comes up short and gets replaced with a Ken Hitchcock type in a couple years.

We are a playoff team but not cup contenders. I say we are still a few players away. A big number one center, a number one right wing game breaker sniper and we need bigger more physical d-core to box players out from trying to crash the net and get to price. Until we fix these things this team will always have trouble playing bigger faster physical teams.

Get the puck, carry it to the red line, dump er in, or hang out at the blue line and look for a stretch pass. On defense, get the the puck and rim it around the boards. Have three forwards on the PP facing Subban waiting for the slap-shot.

The way Tampa Bay plays is better for the fans. They might be the most fun team to watch in all of hockey. Until Coach Coop comes up short and gets replaced with a Ken Hitchcock type in a couple years.

I don't care how exciting the team is. Just win baby.

In my opinion the problem with the offense is that they are lacking natural creativity. They are playing almost robotic when they are in the offensive zone. I think the cause of this is because of the extensive attention to detail on the defensive side, and this is translating to offense. They don't even have to think anymore out there because the system is so ingrained in their heads that they know what to do in every situation. And when the shot totals and scoring chances are there, they assume that they will eventually find the back of the net. Unfortunately they are missing the instinctive finish required when given these scoring opportunities. This team has guys that can score, but there's alot more to scoring than just numbers.

We're a transition team that capitalizes on turnovers and odd-man rushes. We struggle mightily when we get into settled situations. Unfortunately, playoff teams don't make it any easier for us and won't lay down. Many of you are blaming the PP because that's an obvious excuse as to why we're losing. It's not. It's the power-less play of our forwards. I've said it a dozen times, our forwards are too easy to play against. A change is coming boys..and it won't be behind the bench

We're a transition team that capitalizes on turnovers and odd-man rushes. We struggle mightily when we get into settled situations. Unfortunately, playoff teams don't make it any easier for us and won't lay down. Many of you are blaming the PP because that's an obvious excuse as to why we're losing. It's not. It's the power-less play of our forwards. I've said it a dozen times, our forwards are too easy to play against. A change is coming boys..and it won't be behind the bench

Chicago is a transition and rushing team that feeds on turnovers. So is NY. They don't score too often off the cycle. To turn this team into Anaheim or LA would take a decade.

You need big centers like Kopitar, Jumbo Joe or Getzlaf. DD and Plek can barely win a puck battle.

Thats been true since they joined the club .

Both.

I agree completely. Would Thornton still command a king's ransom? Max would push for 50 with a set-up man like that :thumbs_up:

That's the same logic that calls for Therrien to put Pacioretty with Plekanec instead of Desharnais. Everytime it happens, scoring plummets. Max has scored away from DD, but what has Galchenyuk done away from Plekanec?

For Pacioretty to get 50 goals, he would have to get around 450-500 shots. He had 302 this year, I don't see a better center getting him as many shots as Ovechkin.

Guest Stogey24

How many cups has Thornton won?

What does that have to do with anything. Thornton is one of the best passers in the league

It's an interesting thought. Thornton could be had from San Jose. But I don't know the asking price. I also don't know whether we could fit him under the cap. But as short-term fix, he could be just what the doctor ordered.

Agree..and hopefully AG could learn a thing or two. I'm concerned that he gets tunnel-vision soon as a defender gets a bead on him.

Don't get me started on Galchenyuk. I am just so disappointed in him. He is an absolutely critical piece of the rebuild - we will never contend unless he becomes a genuinely dangerous player. It's only 2 1/2 years since he came into the league, but the complete flat-lining of his development is terribly ominous, to my mind. We're not going to get another pick that high for a long time.

Guy's Thorton has an iron clad no movement clause He is not going anywhere cause he likes it there. Sun surfing California babes, what's not to like?

Another thought would be Ilya from the khl. He has said he wants to come back to the nhl. Just think of a top line of

Max-joe-ilya. Could be just what we need to put us over and make us true cup contenders.

Guest Stogey24

Another thought would be Ilya from the khl. He has said he wants to come back to the nhl. Just think of a top line of

Max-joe-ilya. Could be just what we need to put us over and make us true cup contenders.

I heard something about him wanting to be in Montreal at one point. New Jersey must have his rights though?

I don't think MB is up for the salary that Ilya would command. Nice idea though, just not going to happen imho.

Honestly, we're a lot better off targeting Yakupov than any of these guys. Yes, there is some risk, but there's also the possibility of acquiring a cornerstone piece for a decade to come.