And the Captain is..... Leadership call!

Ok, let's not talk about the last game. Let's not talk about the running of the Tampa goalie BS we engaged in. Instead let's talk about what it is going to take to get this team to the next round.

We need a leader. We need someone to step up and grab ownership of the responsibility. The answer is not running the goalie. As Subban said earlier in the playoffs, "That is not what Jean Beliveau would do" We need a leader who will lead this team with dignity and class.

Who will it be? Is there someone in this crop of players that has that quality in them? I sure hope so, because if someone doesn't become the captain and lead this team we are out in 4.

Just saying....

"thats not what Jean Beliveau would do"

Beliveau would not celebrate a single goal early in the first round like he just won the cup either.....but that did not stop PK.

As far as running guys? "thats not what Beliveau would do" no big Jean would not do that...........because his winger Fergy would.

You must not remember the 60's Habs30/31. Fergy was tough as nails but he would not be running a goalie like Prust has been doing. He wouldn't have survived. In those days that type of play got a stick broken over your bare skull and then the shaft placed somewhere that made skating tough. Leave that BS to the Flyers/Bruins. Not needed. I like tough hockey, I am pro fighting, but as an old goalie I believe running the goalie is a cowardly act. Beating Bishop is easy. Traffic in front, which he sees over. Keep the puck on the ice and make it hard for him to find it in his feet. Jam it in. You can't put it through his chest!

Now can someone please take control of this team?

You must not remember the 60's Habs30/31. Fergy was tough as nails but he would not be running a goalie like Prust has been doing. He wouldn't have survived. In those days that type of play got a stick broken over your bare skull and then the shaft placed somewhere that made skating tough. Leave that BS to the Flyers/Bruins. Not needed. I like tough hockey, I am pro fighting, but as an old goalie I believe running the goalie is a cowardly act. Beating Bishop is easy. Traffic in front, which he sees over. Keep the puck on the ice and make it hard for him to find it in his feet. Jam it in. You can't put it through his chest!

Point well taken. Good post.

In defense of Prust I have never seen him running any other goalies. Even last year in the semis he left Lunquist alone after Kreider took out Price. No, in this case he and Bishop have a history, dont like each other, and Prust lost it at the end of a thrashing he and his team were taking in their own barn.

But i will second that "now will someone take control of this team"

I'm with you here on all accounts, except I was never a goalie. You need a Gallagher in an extra large model to be in front of net. Bishop can see over BG and DD from his knees.

This is all just my gut feeling, but I believe this team is done. Done like dinner. The reason is not (contrary to the 'expert' consensus) that they suck except for Price. It's that they outplayed TB by a substantial margin in Game One and the first period of Game Two and went absolutely unrewarded. Add to that the psychological effects of Tampa's domination of the Habs over the season, along with the team's overall troubles in scoring, and the result is Tampa/Bishop having gotten decisively in the Habs' heads. Deep down, the Habs no longer believe that can win against Tampa. They did believe at that start of the series, but it's been sucked out of them. They no longer believe that chances that would normally lead to goals, will lead to goals against this team. They no longer believe that they can get a bounce here and there. And they no longer believe they can score on the PP.

I think even Price does not believe his team can give him sufficient support to win. Just something in his body language after that Stamkos goal. He knows it's over, the team can't win.

They'll say all the right things and (probably) come out hard, but once a team loses that faith in itself and each other, defeat becomes almost inevitable.

What really sucks about all of this is that Tampa Bay is set up to be a major obstacle to our ability to get to the Finals for years to come. And they own us. It's gonna be very, very hard for this core to overcome this psychological disadvantage against that core.

I hope my 'gut' is wrong about all this. But the psychology of the TB//Habs matchup just looks and feels really, really bad.

With the score in the series being 2-0 in Tampa's favor, I think it's obvious that they are hugely in the driver's seat. With that being said, whether it's because of a strong group filled with "character" or because of a simple defense mechanism, I don't for one believe that the group as a whole perceive winning this series as an unattainable feat. If we can even get a split in Tampa, then I truly believe we will have a great chance at winning our next home game which would then put a small amount of pressure on Tampa to close it out at home. Lose the next game and I will agree that everything you said will be true. The bigger obstacle in my eyes is that we are down 2-0 and now have to go play in Tampa on the road where every goal will be amplified by an excited crowd and players who will both have the same mentality a rabid dog would have on a T-Bone steak.

It won't be easy and I will agree that because of the way the series has gone thus far, victory will be tough to come by but I really don't agree that the team has given up mentally. If they truly are that weak where it counts, then they as individuals, will never have a chance at the cup.

With the score in the series being 2-0 in Tampa's favor, I think it's obvious that they are hugely in the driver's seat. With that being said, whether it's because of a strong group filled with "character" or because of a simple defense mechanism, I don't for one believe that the group as a whole perceive winning this series as an unattainable feat. If we can even get a split in Tampa, then I truly believe we will have a great chance at winning our next home game which would then put a small amount of pressure on Tampa to close it out at home. Lose the next game and I will agree that everything you said will be true. The bigger obstacle in my eyes is that we are down 2-0 and now have to go play in Tampa on the road where every goal will be amplified by an excited crowd and players who will both have the same mentality a rabid dog would have on a T-Bone steak.

It won't be easy and I will agree that because of the way the series has gone thus far, victory will be tough to come by but I really don't agree that the team has given up mentally. If they truly are that weak where it counts, then they as individuals, will never have a chance at the cup.

Hey, I hope you're right. But I didn't mean to say the team has 'given up' mentally...more that they don't believe, deep down, that they can win. That's different from not trying, which is what I take 'giving up' to mean.

I've said since the beginning that the Habs need to play a very boring style to beat Tampa and win games 3-2/2-1/1-0. They did this in the first game, and they had a bad clear from Pateryn and some help from the refs.

The second game they came out flying, which is what a good home team should do, and were beat soundly because of the awful PK and discipline issues.

Two games on the road are just what the doctor ordered. The Habs need to go back to playing low event hockey. If the games are interesting the Habs have no shot. They need to let Tampa push the envelope and counter attack. The Habs don't have the horses to come out with their guns blazing.

Great thread topic at this point in time and a valid question. It was definitely apparent after game 2 that the thing that perhaps was missing the most was leadership. Between the undisciplined penalties, the awful penalty kill and just the way the usual steady train came off the tracks. It is disappointing that nobody has really taken this team by the horns thus far and made it their own. MaxPac I thought had done so during the regular season but aside from a few inspiring shifts hasn't done much. Subban is Mr. Playoff but hasn't been the game changer he has been in the past. Markov looks like a shell of his former self out there. I wonder how this team would be doing right now if they hadn't rid themselves of their former leaders Gionta and Gorges....

Guest Stogey24

Does it not feel like Montreal is doing to Tampa what Boston has done to Montreal for ever. Loose their cool and take stupid penalties. All the while Tampa is sticking to their game plan of finesse and putting pucks in the net.

I'm really starting the think Bishop feeds off guys pushing him around and getting in his face. That's not to say don't screen him, but just don't get him fired up.

Boy, I know Patches has the inside track...but after watching his incredible effort in Game Three, I think Gallagher made a real statement for himself as C material. He reminded me of no one so much as Saku Koivu with that astounding exertion of will and determination.

Boy, I know Patches has the inside track...but after watching his incredible effort in Game Three, I think Gallagher made a real statement for himself as C material. He reminded me of no one so much as Saku Koivu with that astounding exertion of will and determination.

Yea, i would have to agree. The thing is though most of the officials don't seem to respect Gallagher which is pretty important. If you notice Pacioretty has done a lot less yapping to refs after whistles this season in an effort to build that relationship.

Yea, i would have to agree. The thing is though most of the officials don't seem to respect Gallagher which is pretty important. If you notice Pacioretty has done a lot less yapping to refs after whistles this season in an effort to build that relationship.

Good point. I guess Gally's destiny is to wear the A and be part of our leadership core for the next decade or so. What a player he is.

He really disappointed me in game 2 but I still feel Subban is the guy I want to wear the C. Pacioretty is boring, stoic and when he goes on a goal scoring drought it might bring the whole team down. Subban would be a lightning rod, the warm center the team can huddle around.

Honestly just throw it on Prust because it doesn't matter. Price is the captain, letter or not.

Pacioretty took a big step back for me. I think Subban has the confidence that this team needs. Pacioretty is like a Rick Nash type. I don't think he has what it takes to be a "playoff performer." He'll never disappear like Jumbo Joe, but that's not his game.

Pacioretty took a big step back for me. I think Subban has the confidence that this team needs. Pacioretty is like a Rick Nash type. I don't think he has what it takes to be a "playoff performer." He'll never disappear like Jumbo Joe, but that's not his game.

It's a myth that Jumbo Joe disappears. Jumbo Joe has no second gear. That's the real thing about him. His scoring is fine in the playoffs. He just never steps up.

Does Pacioretty have a second gear? Hard to say. He didn't have the best playoffs last year but I believe it was his first. You get a mulligan on that. This year he came back from a concussion. I know it sounds like a pile of excuses but I think he's earned some reprieve. He just won't have it if he goes quiet next playoffs. Still, I agree with the Rick Nash style "maybe a frontline soldier, never the general"

The way the room is set up now is fine. We don't need somone with the C on his shirt. You got 4 guys who help out in their own way. Price is the leader on this team anyways. And that is why he included with the other 4.