And the Captain is..... Leadership call!

Maxpac did not take a pay cut for the good of the team. He fired his agent because of the ridiculous deal he signed.

He took that deal because of the uncertainty of the lockout and his injury history. If MB was smart he would have signed Subban longterm at that time as well. Which would have given us $3m in cap savings now.

I guess that's true! And the agent should have been fired (although ultimately, Max is calling the shots, so I'm not sure about blaming the agent). Still, I think the wider spirit of my comment stands. And yes, MB was wrong about PK, but that's the sort of risk you run anytime you overthrow the managerial regime of a hockey team - they inherit all these complicated files without having intimate knowledge of them. MB wanted to establish the principle of bridge deals and that he would not be railroaded in negotiations. He did that, but unfortunately it led to Subban's crazy deal in the longer run. C'est la vie.

Guest Stogey24

P.K is worth every penny. I've never once seen the guy take a night off. You can say what you want about getting him for cheaper, but atleast he's deserving of the contact and money he was given

P.K is worth every penny. I've never once seen the guy take a night off. You can say what you want about getting him for cheaper, but atleast he's deserving of the contact and money he was given

Agreed. Not to mention the two bargain years he played on the bridge deal. And it's only speculation about what went on during the negotiations, we don't know how much he would have signed for long term back then.

Agreed. Not to mention the two bargain years he played on the bridge deal. And it's only speculation about what went on during the negotiations, we don't know how much he would have signed for long term back then.

There's also the point that expecting the team to keep all its players on cut-rate deals is probably a bit idealistic. Sure, it'd have been great to sign PK for $6 mil long-term, but at the end of the day it's not like paying a fair rate is some catastrophic managerial failing. He's a superstar and he's paid like one. We could have worse problems, that's for sure.

The way I like to think about it is $9m (PK) + $6.5m (Price) + $4.5m (Pac) = $20m for the next 3 years. Hard pressed to find a better 3 player core on a team for that much.

There's also the point that expecting the team to keep all its players on cut-rate deals is probably a bit idealistic. Sure, it'd have been great to sign PK for $6 mil long-term, but at the end of the day it's not like paying a fair rate is some catastrophic managerial failing. He's a superstar and he's paid like one. We could have worse problems, that's for sure.

Brian worked it out that it didn't actually cost us that much in the long run. And he is worth it dammit.

The way I like to think about it is $9m (PK) + $6.5m (Price) + $4.5m (Pac) = $20m for the next 3 years. Hard pressed to find a better 3 player core on a team for that much.

Toews + Kane $20m. Yeah.

Subban is worth every dollar. Great guy and excellent player!