Official MLB Discussion Thread

Quebecois

I think AA agrees with you, I just don't. Is Avila better than Johnson cause if he isn't all you have improved is your utility guy, which amounts to getting nothing back.

Is Aviles and the difference between his salary-to-be and Johnson's salary-to-be an upgrade? For a team like the Jays with all types of payroll parameters, that's the question. Personally, I'd prefer Aviles over Johnson straight up - the Jays need average more than a power guy at that position. Factor in the difference in salary (I still think Johnson will get decent money as the 2B market is simply awful this offseason) and it's a net gain in my books.

And on a completely unrelated topic, here is a, how should I put this lightly, rather unique (and completely nutty) method of training prospects that Pittsburgh uses. It's really quite the read: http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacevic/2819385-74/pirates-polanco-baseball-players-team-hell-month-prospects-week-ankle#axzz2AEEWG4qj

Here's a name to add to the Managers list--- Ryan Sandberg?

He's certainly a name worth considering. I think at this point though, it's down to three contenders for the most part: Tim Wallach, DeMarlo Hale, and Sandy Alomar. I know Alomar already interviewed, the Jays have got permission to talk to Wallach, and I'm not sure if Hale has interviewed yet - he was a finalist for the job two years ago though. I was hoping for the World Series to go longer as free agency starts five days from the final game. I'd like to think they'd want to have a manager before free agency starts so time is beginning to become a factor here.

Speaking of free agency, 137 players have declared. Here is the full list. There aren't exactly a ton of enticing pitchers available once you take out some of the options that realistically will be exercised. It's looking like the trade route will be the one that the Jays try to pursue to fill the rotation holes. In that instance, arbitration will likely come into play, here is who is up for that and their projected salaries.

Personnally, I like the idea of a guy who has spent the majority of his time in the National league, so Wallach would probably be who I would pick. However this about who AA would pick and if i would pick somebody that would get along with a "bean counter" it would be Acta. Having said that, given that AA is unpredictable most often, I expect him to pick either Hale or Alomar. History would tell you that if he doesn't get the right guy ,he himself will be on the short list of out of the door next.

Farrell was an awful manager, let him go to Boston and install his complete lack of discipline for the ball club; and overuse of young pitchers there.

I don't know if we got a good read on Farrell. I think the roster was not good enough from the onset, and the team malaised into horrible. That malais infected everyone. Last season is squarely on AA.

I don't know if we got a good read on Farrell. I think the roster was not good enough from the onset, and the team malaised into horrible. That malais infected everyone. Last season is squarely on AA.

I only saw one player who improved under Farrell. Escobar regressed, Lawrie didn't live up to expectations and continued to make the same baserunning mistakes over and over, Romero was terrible, a ton of young arms got hurt signalling overwork, Snyder and Thames didn't develop, etc.... the only guy who took a step forward was Edwin Encarnacion.... thats about it.

I only saw one player who improved under Farrell. Escobar regressed, Lawrie didn't live up to expectations and continued to make the same baserunning mistakes over and over, Romero was terrible, a ton of young arms got hurt signalling overwork, Snyder and Thames didn't develop, etc.... the only guy who took a step forward was Edwin Encarnacion.... thats about it.

Janssen was superb, but other than he and Edwin that was it. Butterfield is gone as well. We need a fresh start. I heard Mitch Williams name as well. My pet peeve with the Blue jays is they don't get speed. They get fast platyer and don't know how to use them. Throw out Wilners Rules of Bunting because his statics are based on modern day. There haven't been anybody in thirty years that that practices the art of running and bunting. Unfortunely steroids and the long ball (only) have put the game in moth balls.

Avila was nothing special. If he was to stay on roster and Farrel has any success at all, this story would keep on giving bad press all year. Rogers in my estimation is a replacement for Villanova who was also a valuable asset for the Jays.

He's certainly a name worth considering. I think at this point though, it's down to three contenders for the most part: Tim Wallach, DeMarlo Hale, and Sandy Alomar.

New reports suggest the Jays intend to hire a coach with previous managing experience. That means none of my contender guesses would be considered. Names in recent days that have come up are Don Wakamatsu (please, no), Jim Tracy, Jim Riggleman, Manny Acta, and Mike Hargrove whose name surfaced today for the first time. That's a somewhat underwhelming list.

Ho-Hum/ Sabermetrics/ Same Old same old

Some of those guys (like Hargrove and Riggleman) are older guys and may not be 'sabermetricians.'

Also, the Jays have already replaced Aviles as they've agreed to terms with former Expo Maicer Izturis on a 3 year, $9 M contract with a club option for a fourth season. He's certainly not a power hitter but he gets on base at a decent clip (.320 OBP last year) which is something they sorely need. He also can play 2B, 3B, or SS which is a nice luxury to have. It's a lengthy deal for a utility-type player (unless they plan to make him the regular 2B) but I like this one.

Interesting note on Izturis. Saw this comparison made online:

Player A is Izturis.

Player A career: 8.2 BB%, 10.7 K%, .108 ISO, .297 BABIP, .273 AVG, .337 OBP, .381 SLG, .318 wOBA, 94 wRC+

Player B career: 8.7 BB%, 10.8 K%, .116 ISO, .297 BABIP, .276 AVG, .340 OBP, .391 SLG, .324 wOBA, 95 wRC+

Shockingly Player B is considered the top 2B available on the market, Marco Scutaro. I for one would be fine with Izturis starting at 2B for the next year or two. Solid bottom of the lineup player, good glove, doesn't strike out a ton, switch hitter. 3 million a year sounds about right.

You can add J Jeffress to the roster, a right handed fireballer. KC must have got tired of his antics to ship him for cash. As for Izturis, like the fact he is a switch hitter. The last time the Jays were successful, they had ballance at the plate as far as lefties vs. righties. I don't think they pay enough attention to that particlar detail.

You can add J Jeffress to the roster, a right handed fireballer. KC must have got tired of his antics to ship him for cash. As for Izturis, like the fact he is a switch hitter. The last time the Jays were successful, they had ballance at the plate as far as lefties vs. righties. I don't think they pay enough attention to that particlar detail.

He was DFA'ed by the Royals last week to make room for players being reinstated from the 60-day DL onto the 40-man roster, the deal (for cash) was done mere minutes before he'd have been forced to waivers. I'd say there's a better chance than not that he get DFA'ed by the Jays by the end of the offseason. This was pretty much a waiver claim disguised as a trade.

He was DFA'ed by the Royals last week to make room for players being reinstated from the 60-day DL onto the 40-man roster, the deal (for cash) was done mere minutes before he'd have been forced to waivers. I'd say there's a better chance than not that he get DFA'ed by the Jays by the end of the offseason. This was pretty much a waiver claim disguised as a trade.

I think there is the potential here, enough to encourage AA to bypass the waiver procedure. I know our roster looks full now, but i think some of our pitchers will have to go in deals if AA wants to upgrade by trade. I think this goes under the category of not leaving any rocks unturned. But I agree, this is a longshot. Maybe AA gets luck and gets him through waivers so he has a chance to work on him.

I think there is the potential here, enough to encourage AA to bypass the waiver procedure. I know our roster looks full now, but i think some of our pitchers will have to go in deals if AA wants to upgrade by trade. I think this goes under the category of not leaving any rocks unturned. But I agree, this is a longshot. Maybe AA gets luck and gets him through waivers so he has a chance to work on him.

The roster is certainly full although there are a few DFA candidates in the waiver claims from October. There is an upcoming deadline to add prospects (minor leaguers) to the 40-man to protect them from the Rule 5 draft at the December winter meetings and the Jays do have some guys I think they will add so we're likely to see some roster shuffling. Jeffress is a low risk move, they just paid a bit more cash than they would have on waivers ($20,000) to get him early. Might as well stockpile the depth.

In terms of the big names out there, Anibal Sanchez is looking for $15 M per year for 6 years. Sad as it is, I think he might be able to get that (maybe not 6 guaranteed years though) which makes me cringe at the thought of what Zack Greinke could get.

Greinke is reportedly looking for a contract above 20 million per year. You wouldn't think that he could get that, but with the lack of premiere pitching options on the free agent market it is possible.

I wouldn't have an issue with paying Sanchez 15 million but the contract length worries me. Pitchers face such significant injury risks that locking one up for 6 years has so much risk involved. The plus side is that Sanchez is still young and has proven that he can both pitch in the AL and do well in the playoffs.

I guess the Jays wanted to get most of their offseason shopping done at once. 2 high quality starting pitchers? Check. A lead-off hitter? Check. Move out Escobar? Check. What a monster deal between the Jays and Marlins...I'd post the names involved but after 3 hours, there still are some pieces being changed as reports come in. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/blue-jays-close-to-acquiring-josh-johnson.html

Wow. I will say that again WOW. Got to think they are in pretty good shape. I guess the DH comes down to Lind, Cooper and McDade. I never would have believed that they would have taken on this much salary. My guess would be that any more upgrades will not include salary raises. I do see with all the major league ready extras, an opportunity to recoup high end prospects from other teams.

Wow. I will say that again WOW. Got to think they are in pretty good shape. I guess the DH comes down to Lind, Cooper and McDade. I never would have believed that they would have taken on this much salary. My guess would be that any more upgrades will not include salary raises. I do see with all the major league ready extras, an opportunity to recoup high end prospects from other teams.

I can't see it being McDade and I wouldn't rule out D'Arnaud either. I could see him being a bit of a utility player this year being a 3rd catcher (I assume Arencibia is on his way out) behind Buck and Wilson. Maybe play a game a week behind the plate, DH a couple times, and a game at 1st here and there.

I presume we're going to see a few attempts to try and cut a bit of salary to scale back the payroll a bit - they have another ~$12.5 M that will go to arbitration-eligible players like Rasmus, Happ, and Bonifacio.

Speaking of Left Field (I know that wasn't all the context you were using but I'm turning it into a segue anyways), the Blue Jays have a new left fielder: Melky Cabrera. He was with the Giants last year and was leading the NL in batting average (.346) before being suspended for having elevated levels of testosterone. It's a 2 year, $16 M deal pending a physical. He's a switch hitter too, joining Reyes, Bonifacio, and Izturis in what has become a very versatile lineup.

http://www.mlbtrader...ky-cabrera.html

I'd say the Jays have a very potent batting order now...assuming the mega-deal gets approved which it has not as of yet. Fans can no longer claim the Jays won't spend money, their payroll is going to probably be top-10 this upcoming season.