P.K. Subban signs 2 year, $5.75M deal

HabsTrick450

Is that from somewhere or is it a guess?

I ask because I haven't noticed Kaberle in the first 3 games, which means he wasn't doing anything good or anything bad. I didn't look at the starting lineups before the NJD game and noticed the first period we looked weak defensively. I'm saying it looked as if Kaberle was playing competent defense and not comiting any blaring mistakes.

It's an informed guess :)

No way anybody sits except Kaberle and Weber.

Term and total money is insane. I was expecting the 2 year term, was not expecting the salary that low.

Can't believe Bergevin had a staring contest with Subban and Meehan, and Subban blinked.

I guarantee Bergevin never wears shorts in public with balls that big.

Good common sense prevailed. Subban gets a lot more money and if he has two good seasons will sign long term for a lot more sometimes in 2015.

Bergevin did a great job. He remained firm, but was always respectful of his player. He never said anything negative to the press, was businesslike all along. Just the way it should be.

This psychodrama is finally over.

Excellent news!!! :clap:

The team is playing very well, and now the only major off ice distraction is taken care of. How long will the harmony last? ;-)

Good common sense prevailed. Subban gets a lot more money and if he has two good seasons will sign long term for a lot more sometimes in 2015.

Bergevin did a great job. He remained firm, but was always respectful of his player. He never said anything negative to the press, was businesslike all along. Just the way it should be.

This psychodrama is finally over.

Actually as soon as spring of 2014. This contract is for 12-13, 13-14

Actually as soon as spring of 2014. This contract is for 12-13, 13-14

You're right. My mistake. I hope that he will really blossom and will be rewarded. It's for him to step up to the plate and show what he can do.

You're right. My mistake. I hope that he will really blossom and will be rewarded. It's for him to step up to the plate and show what he can do.

He's already stepped up to the plate twice without Markov, now he'll be playing with Markov in the lineup. It'll be interesting to see who Therrien plays against the top lines. If Subban - Gorges plays the second lines instead, Subban's going to have some seriously inflated numbers. He might end up doing Subban and Meehan a favour.

Only 1 hour after announcement, Subban is trending on Twitter in Montréal at #7, followed by... Kaberle at #9. Guess fans think he's the odd man out.

Oh and Bergevin at #10.

Great day for Bergevin as a new GM.

His contract is a little better than Del Zotto's, $5.75 million against $5.1 million. It makes a lot of sense.

Our defense looks very good on paper. We have Kaberle and Weber as backups. Weber might be traded, if Bergevin is able to make a deal. St-Denis, Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn give us a lot of depth with the Bulldogs.

"With this process, I understand everybody will have their opinion, but my focus is getting on the ice and helping this team win," the statement continued. "This is where my heart is, in Montreal."

PK is signed. Nice bridge deal, money weighted to next year, PK loves Monteal....

All is well.

It's a PR move to temper what everyone else is thinking: "just how sore is PK after swallowing his pride?" Pretty damned sore...that's a helluva comedown. You won't find many here who don't think you make more than 2 mil after playing 24-27mins per game.

Don and him are going to make Molson pay out the ass in 2016.

It's a PR move to temper what everyone else is thinking: "just how sore is PK after swallowing his pride?" Pretty damned sore...that's a helluva comedown. You won't find many here who don't think you make more than 2 mil after playing 24-27mins per game.

Don and him are going to make Molson pay out the ass in 2016.

He is getting almost $4 next year. They weighted it for his benefit as this year is prorated.

Of course he had to come down... His next contract will be a big one if he earns it. They are professionals and this is just business negotiations. PK was telling people he knows last week that he would be signing and he was looking forward to getting back on the ice.

Not even the least bit of a surprise. We have a GM who knows how to draw a line in the sand, and a kid who wants to be a Canadien. I suspect there'll be no issue with his next contract - a long-term big-money contract (assuming he continues like he has) - either. I believe with the moves he's made and this challenging signing completed, MB has proven himself a very promising GM. I don't know how anyone else feels, but I suddenly feel very secure in the knowledge that the Habs won't be a re-run or a hanging-on club much longer. This feels very, very different from the last 15 years or so.

• Upvote 1

Not even the least bit of a surprise. We have a GM who knows how to draw a line in the sand, and a kid who wants to be a Canadien. I suspect there'll be no issue with his next contract - a long-term big-money contract (assuming he continues like he has) - either. I believe with the moves he's made and this challenging signing completed, MB has proven himself a very promising GM. I don't know how anyone else feels, but I suddenly feel very secure in the knowledge that the Habs won't be a re-run or a hanging-on club much longer. This feels very, very different from the last 15 years or so.

Amen

Amen indeed.

His contract is a little better than Del Zotto's, $5.75 million against $5.1 million. It makes a lot of sense.

Our defense looks very good on paper. We have Kaberle and Weber as backups. Weber might be traded, if Bergevin is able to make a deal. St-Denis, Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn give us a lot of depth with the Bulldogs.

Yup, I'm loving the D right now. Lots to be excited about.

But... I still get a little upset everytime I see McDonagh play in New York. I can't let that go...

• Upvote 1

Yup, I'm loving the D right now. Lots to be excited about.

But... I still get a little upset everytime I see McDonagh play in New York. I can't let that go...

McDonagh got us Galchenyuk. Think of it that way, makes me smile inside.

Had a pretty long day at the office, heard the news on the drive home - glad to have him back, I think this really solidifies our D. However, whether this was the right approach can't really be judged until 2 years. At that point we will find out two things.

1) Will there be any hard feelings when we have to sign Subban to the next contract and whether he is going to make us pay for it at that time.

2) Will it cost us significantly more to resign him in two years then it would have to lock him up now.

• Upvote 1

GMs around the league will be buying Bergevin a beer for a job well done.

Well done indeed. And, believe it or not, P.K. himself will realize that it was the best thing for him when he will be in position to sign for really big bucks in two years. A win-win deal IMO.

• Upvote 1