Apr. 9, Lightning vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

How many games when Price was in net did this team get hemmed in their own end, thus having Price stand on his head because we couldn't afford to let up even one goal. Or constantly chip the puck off the glass instead of starting a breakout. Even if we did recover the puck off of a chip out, we'd go down take an outside shot, then retreat. Zero sustained pressure, on many a night

Ferraro: Therrien wasn't using the right system when Price went down. He was trying to stop the first goal against from happening instead of attempting to score the first goal themselves.

It's shocking that the only thing those two goobers did was trade for Ben Scrivens. After year 4, "not compromising the future" seems like an excuse to keep Bergevin in a job.

So give up valuable picks for a guy who would have gotten us in the playoffs, but was unlikely to win the cup. This team is a playoff team with average NHL goaltending, they aren't a cup team without Carey (and even with Carey we need more pieces). I don't see the point of making a panic move giving a rival like the Leafs a 2nd round pick likely around 45-50th,, or even trading such a pick to the ducks.

Bergevin's job is not to build a team that squeaks into 7th or 8th, its to build a cup contender and trading future assets for a rental that isn't good enough doesn't make sense to me.

Marc Bergevin's job is to ice the best roster year after year. He's consistently made the decision to play it safe on TDL, July 1st and in the trade market because he's afraid of losing his job. He has no balls. A guy like James Reimer, for a second rounder that might be nothing, and at least won't come to fruition for years, gets the Habs in the playoffs, and maybe Carey Price can play games 3 on in the first round, and who knows? This is about entertainment, and revenues. Not a five year plan that suddenly is a seven or ten year plan.

What's the development plan, exactly? His coach needs a major injury to Desharnais to play a 21 year old, #3 overall pick in the position he was drafted to be...four years later! His AHL coach has graduated one full time player and missed the playoffs four years in a row. They might as well make like the Rangers and just trade all their picks with the player development they have in place.

But the organization is about the future? Bergevin has no idea what his vision is or what he's even about. He should be embarrassed that he presided over the worst slide in club history and his answer was Ben Scrivens. He's a joke, and I've always said as much.

Galchenyuk who played 60+ games at centre this year didn't play enough at centre? ok

Yeah, this is about entertainment and revenues. There is more revenue in a run to the cup than in a first round playoff loss, both in approx 4x the number of home games, (maybe more if you have home ice advantage) but also in the millions and millions of dollars of commemorative merchandise you can sell after such an event. Therefore his job isn't about getting one and dones, its about building to win the cup.

Over 4 years, We've graduated Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Pateryn, Condon, Tokarski (now gone), and now Sven Andrighetto to NHL roles... .that seems about average for most teams in the NHL (except for those in heavy rebuilds).

To me, I never saw the time this season when it made sense to trade for a goalie. At first it looked like Condon would be adequate. Then when it became clear he wouldn't, it seemed like only a few more weeks and we'll get Price back. That continued for a long while. After that it was clear that no average goalie was going to be enough to get us into the playoffs and hoping Carey would return was our only hope.

In retrospect, it seems like maybe we should have traded a 2nd rounder for a goalie but its a lot easier to see that now. I would have been mad if MB had made such a trade at any point this season,

Well, I certainly hope it's about a cup run, and not just making the playoffs as a bubble team.

I suspect Bergevin gambled on Price returning, and that is what determined his trade deadline strategy.

I am ok with it all, especially now the pain is over for the year, and looking forward to what Bergevin does at the draft and UFA day.

It's just the way it went for us this year...and I agree with Bergevin's strategy to not mortgage everything to patch a lineup that was as close to the most injured team ever...

There is no patch for a torn out sidewall in the tire that was the Habs in 2015/16. Reimer couldn't have fixed the defense, or scored goals... AHL showcase...

Well, I certainly hope it's about a cup run, and not just making the playoffs as a bubble team.

I suspect Bergevin gambled on Price returning, and that is what determined his trade deadline strategy.

I am ok with it all, especially now the pain is over for the year, and looking forward to what Bergevin does at the draft and UFA day.

It's just the way it went for us this year...and I agree with Bergevin's strategy to not mortgage everything to patch a lineup that was as close to the most injured team ever...

There is no patch for a torn out sidewall in the tire that was the Habs in 2015/16.

I don't blame Bergevin at all for standing pat under the circumstances (although if he could have acquired a superior goalie to Scrivens at similar or lower cost, well, then he should have done that instead of acquiring that flailing bozo).

However, he HAS to make the right moves over the next 10 months. This is it: make-or-break time from a GMing point of view.

This is it: make-or-break time from a GMing point of view.

I agree, now he has to be proactive, maybe take a chance or 2?

I have more of an issue with not getting a true top 6 player last summer than i do with standing pat on the goaltending.

Exactly, it's not like the Habs haven't needed that top 6 or top 3 FW for years now...

You guys are nuts. You would rather have a second round pick (in a year we have two, no less) than a chance at the playoffs? I'm sure some tunes around here will change with the coming weeks of superlative hockey...

Who and what are you talking about?

Who and what are you talking about?

Just about anybody here who thinks that draft picks are tickets to Heaven--and twice as hard to get.

The Habs are in a position of near contention where the picks should be currency to get pieces they need to take the next step, but Mark Down Marc is shuffling depth pieces like Don Quixote attacking a windmill. And if they need to burn a second rounder or a prospect to make the last 40 games of a season interesting, I'm all for it. A season is a terrible thing to waste. To not even try to salvage a season is ridiculous.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's press conference:

1. Trades are hard to make

2. Lie

3. Another lie

4. Therrien is (thing he is not)

5. Fib

6. We tried but nobody was available

7. No we didn't being Carey back too soon, and we're not telling you the first injury because we don't feel like it.

8. Press questions and lies to said questions.

I hope this chump gets fired.

• Upvote 1

The Habs are not in a position of near contention in any season that has Carey Price at less than 100%.

I'll trade 2nds to improve the team all day if I believe I have a true contender, but with this popgun offense, an average NHL goalie isn't going to do it.

That same 2nd rounder can now be used as part of a package to address real needs on the team, like the top 6, via trade.. it doesn't even have to be used to select a player. It has value, and I see using it on Anton Khudobin, or James Reimer, to be a waste of that asset.

1) Such a move on December 1st would have handcuffed us cap wise so that no top 6 upgrade would have been able to be acquired at the deadline

2) It wouldn't have put us over the top.

• Upvote 1

Just about anybody here who thinks that draft picks are tickets to Heaven--and twice as hard to get.

The Habs are in a position of near contention where the picks should be currency to get pieces they need to take the next step, but Mark Down Marc is shuffling depth pieces like Don Quixote attacking a windmill. And if they need to burn a second rounder or a prospect to make the last 40 games of a season interesting, I'm all for it. A season is a terrible thing to waste. To not even try to salvage a season is ridiculous.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's press conference:

1. Trades are hard to make

2. Lie

3. Another lie

4. Therrien is (thing he is not)

5. Fib

6. We tried but nobody was available

7. No we didn't being Carey back too soon, and we're not telling you the first injury because we don't feel like it.

8. Press questions and lies to said questions.

I hope this chump gets fired.

Well LM markdown Mark is here for a while, that 9-0 start gave him a huge contract,He isn't going anywhere. He has the balls to say it is all his fault, that Le Genius is a guy he wants to cuddle with. Nope he is going nowhere and he knows it. Nobody makes those crazy statements if he is even slightly worried. I cannot in all my time remember a GM supporting a coach like that ever. If a 2nd round pick would have got us a true NHL goalie, I would do it. I love Condon but he is a rookie. I mean if we make the playoffs and Carey did get back we had a shot. But the real problem is we need better coaching, 2 top forwards. Can it be done? Sure, but you gotta give to get. Mark has not shown that yet. He still is good old loyal Mark Down Mark. He needs to get with the program, this is the Montreal Forking Canadiens, we deserve the CUP and nothing less.

Lovett's, you need to enjoy the Panther's playoff run...take your meds... ;)

So, a second round pick, traded for Reimer, would have fixed this team, and all it's injuries, so that we had a legitimate shot at getting into or out of the first round... and that is worth exactly what? 4 home playoff game revenues, and that's about it.

I'm not buying the statement that this year we could have saved with a "better coach" and now "better GM". All our picks and prospects combined would not have saved this sinking ship.

We had no shot at winning anything this year, that's it, all she wrote.

I am with Commandant, here. MB mistake was not adequately upgrading scoring on the top lines at start of season. I am not a proponent of going all in just to get a dance ticket. The year hinged around the health of Price, should be no doubt there. As much as we hate what happened, I got to give him credit for reading the tea leaves correctly.

Guest Stogey24

Lovett's, you need to enjoy the Panther's playoff run...take your meds... ;)So, a second round pick, traded for Reimer, would have fixed this team, and all it's injuries, so that we had a legitimate shot at getting into or out of the first round... and that is worth exactly what? 4 home playoff game revenues, and that's about it.I'm not buying the statement that this year we could have saved with a "better coach" and now "better GM". All our picks and prospects combined would not have saved this sinking ship.We had no shot at winning anything this year, that's it, all she wrote.

You make into the the playoffs, you have a chance at winning the cup. WTF was signing Scrivens going to do? No matter what the situation, the g.m's goal every year should be to give his team every opportunity to win. Bergevin didn't do that, and it reflected on the players.

I'm not saying Reimer is the answer, but Bergevin did fackin nothing. How is that OK? Why are we accepting that our g.m didn't have a clue what to do when his goalie went down. Clearly Carey is injury prone, so what if next he goes down for an extended period. Bergevin will have a press conference, take blame for how shit his team has played, then sign another house league goal and call it a day. Fack that man. I'm not giving management a pass on this season.

Injury prone?

Everyone gets injuries, but NOTHING carey had in the past suggested what would happen this year. He's had one week, two week injuries here and there but guess what, that kinda thing happens to every goalie who plays 60+ games year in and year out. Small injuries happen.

This was Price's first major injury, first time that something lingered for months and not weeks. Other injuries have been unfortunate timing, but not truly devastating in terms of the sheer amount of time he would have missed.

SO to add a top six forward, need to roll back Petry signing and then is doable. But remember, before Pertry signing many were clamoring for a top 4 d-man also.

Adding redlight Reimer wouldn't of undone injuries to Gallagher-Petry.

SO removing 1 top four d-man, top winger and #1 goalie can be balanced by adding a mediocre goalie, are people sampling some potent pot or something?

SO want Bergevin to swing big deal, so who is to be used to get all-star forward; Pacioretty, Subban, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Beaulieu & McCarron, #9 pick? who are all the big talking brave fans offering up that Bergevin should be willing to part with?

And don't even think of same old lame toss-ins like all the players some fans hate; such as, Eller, Emelin, Desharnais, Markov, Plekanec.

Montreal had good analytics but Therrien was still exhausting Markov with 25+ minutes and giving Emelin decent ice time. We all discussed the defensive errors that led to premium scoring chances that we expected a Price to stop and he wasn't there to. It wasn't built to last.

Everyone wanted this to be the year the team didn't rely on Price and at first it was true. First real sign of stress (Price and Gallagher hurt) the whole team folded. The players, the coach, the GM, everyone.

If this year isn't an outlier, the storm before the calm, things will only get worse before they ever get good again.

Price maybe has an unfortunate history of getting injured at the wrong time - i.e., the playoffs. But that's different from being 'injury prone.' He's played a massive number of games most seasons.

I'm with Commandant, BlueKross, and the others who consider it bad GMing to trade important picks for some kind of stopgap upgrade on Condon. I'd go further and make the point that there was no pressing NEED for Bergevin to add a top-6 FW this summer. The team was near elite and a lock to make the playoffs. That's dealing from a position of strength; and dealing from a position of strength means that you can afford to wait for the right opportunity, i.e., the opportunity that does not require you to sacrifice the future or key organizational pieces like Beaulieu.

In the meantime, he took flyers on Kassian and Semin. Reasonable gambles, both of them. If one of them works out, maybe you don't have to make a move at the deadline to shore up the FW unit. If they didn't, the plan would presumably have been to make that move.

None of this worked out. Adding a FW at the deadline of this season would have been a total waste of assets. But that's all down to the unknowable X-factor of the Price injury. Well, sh*t happens. Sometimes you can proceed according to a strong, well thought-out plan and still have everything blow up in your face. C'est la vie. No point in fire-bombing the team's entire management structure because of it. That would be folly.

So I say Bergevin had proceeded in a responsible way and certainly should not be fired. Indeed, we should be happy we have a GM who refuses to irresponsibly sacrifice the future. Otherwise, we'd be looking at eternal mediocrity.

Now, looking forward: there is a large number of legit top-6 forwards on the UFA market. Bergevin HAS to sign one. Price has to get healthy. And then we'll see where we are. I still oppose throwing away the future, but we just lost a year from our Cup window; it's time to address the glaring hole at FW and make that push.

The biggest question mark on Bergevin is if he's held the team back on potential deals out of being unrealistic on player value. It's a problem Brian Burke had (and Burke is still one of the best dealing GMs) late in his tenure with the Leafs and from the weak returns we have recently received on players because Bergevin took too long to pull the trigger on a deal (Thomas and Tinordi's value last year was much higher according to rumours) and constantly claims you need to trade Carey Price to get a good player when nobody else is giving that for players.

If we go through this summer and Bergevin doesn't get a single good free agent or makes any good trades and once again claims the prices were too much, if I was Molson, I wouldn't let Marc see the team in September.

I don't understand how it's bad GMing to give the team a chance to win? Mike Condon was never a solution. He was a stretch to even be an NHL backup this year.

People here are ignoring the fact that Anton Khudobin was available for nothing. He was on waivers.

Should Mark Down Mark have traded a first, a top-4, or a top-6 guy (whoever that is on this awful FWD configuration) for help in net? Absolutely not. He should have:

1. Gone into the year with a better backup than Tokarski.

2. Picked up Khudobin on waivers; I don't care if he has another year on his deal. You aren't dealing from a position of strength with a goalie who isn't even in the top-30 in all major goaltending categories.

3. If all else fails, throw Darren Dietz and a fourth, or a second for Reimer. They have the relationship with Toronto. Could have been an easy swap.

I don't want to hear any crap about a coaching change not making a difference. Pittsburgh and Minnesota both found their way back into the playoffs.

You guys don't care about playoffs? You'd rather have a draft pick than a playoff chase and at least four playoff games? That's the most ridiculous thing I've read on here this season. This is something that I would expect to read on a Leafs board. The idea is to make the playoffs to have a chance to win the Stanley Cup. Not laud "playing the right way" and being a spendthrift with an endless eye towards the future. The tank mentality had infected.