Feb 12th, 2013 - Lightning vs Habs

bar

Some abbreviated thoughts-

*Didn't get to see much of the game, I went to the Panther's, they blew a 2 goal lead with 5 minutes left, and then lost on a defensive breakdown, 30 seconds into OT. Compared to that shit show on ice, we have an embarrassment of riches.

*Moen and Crombeen was the worst fight i've seen in a long time.

*Therrien has the same look on his face, game in and game out, that my dog does when he gets a bath.

*Too much Diaz and Emelin. I'm happy Diaz's PP production is slowing, so I can continue to rag on his second rate puck-moving schtick.

*No Subban on the OT power play. Therrien is a prick.

*The Florida Panthers are one of the worst hockey teams i've ever seen. If we can't win against them, all bets are off for the playoffs. They are that bad.

Well, a win is a win i guess. They have coughed up alot of points lready this year with leads in the third. I don't mind MT as a coach, he has his work cut out for him with this bunch for sure. They are mentally weak minded and physically weak. Not a good combination.

My only issue so far with MT is Diaz on the ice so much. Why is he on the ice during the last minute of any game? You need 2 defenseman who can win battles and clear the crease. Diaz is not it.

I also agree with a few posters who mentioned Eller playing well.

We'll see if they can get it together defensively and for 60 minutes.

I didn't see the game, but I would guess that Diaz getting this much time indicates he was used more on the PP. Perhaps Therrien is still limiting PK's minutes because he missed training camp and the start of the season. Just saying...

Also, the most important difference between this years team and last year is that they blew the lead, kept battling and got the two points. I for one am happy and grateful for the win. We have lots to improve on, but this team was always going to be a work in progress this season.

Pk had a turnover on the first goal and didnt look good on the 2nd goal. His defensive game still looks a bit rough coming out of the lockout so Therrien might not have felt comfortable late in the game with him.

His defensive side doesnt come naturally to PK but I suspect it will solidify as he gets use to the new systems and gets into mid season form. I view this as par for the course for any player.

I'll take the win. Thankfully, I missed the third period. I put my son to bed, wandered back down to check on the final, and I arrived right when the game was heading into overtime. Price looked pissed after the shootout, though.

I can recall too many times going 0 for Florida, so points are good no matter. What is missing from this years Canadiens, is a rash of chronic injuries. I get that the league is playing a different style and the result has been less bodychecking. What I am wondering is can we attribute any of the lack of injuries to Therrian's coaching style?

I can recall too many times going 0 for Florida, so points are good no matter. What is missing from this years Canadiens, is a rash of chronic injuries. I get that the league is playing a different style and the result has been less bodychecking. What I am wondering is can we attribute any of the lack of injuries to Therrian's coaching style?

Spooky to think that this bunch is blowing fat leads despite being impeccably healthy. At least last year we could point to our decimated roster. Your question is interesting, but I dunno, I tend to chalk up injuries to simple luck.

Exactly! The Lightning, before tonight's game were 6-2-1 in the last 9 meetings in Florida. Any points are good in Florida, a big boon to this team is that they don't have to go out West, they are a flop out there.

Spooky to think that this bunch is blowing fat leads despite being impeccably healthy. At least last year we could point to our decimated roster. Your question is interesting, but I dunno, I tend to chalk up injuries to simple luck.

They didn't blow a lead becasuse they won.

I find it odd that this place is still ragging on Cole when everywhere else I read with sensible posters has been saying that Cole was great just not on the scoresheet.

Cole may of had a decent game, but it wasn't impressive by any means. The fact is he is directly responsible for the first goal. He left Hedman, his man, to go get a hit when Subban was winning the board battle, bad decision. Subban turned over the puck and Hedman was wide open backdoor because Cole left him. If Cole didn't leave him there would of at least been someone there with him, but more than likely Hedman wouldn't of drifted in for the backdoor pass.

Just because he drew a penalty to put the team up 5-on-3 and had a decent game, there's no excuse for his play lately. He's playing soft, not committing to driving the net, not finishing the checks he should.

Not that it really needs to be said, but the officiating was sketchy at best again. When is the league gonna wake up to how poorly officiated these games are. A good friend of mine said it's starting to look like the game are being called to be exciting instead of fair, which is an accurate observation. Nice non-call on too many men in OT. Markov even pointed it out, still wasn't called.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-TsB6pDkqQ Keep hitting pause/play between 0:34-0:36. Sadly the puck hit the shaft of his stick, it was a good goal.

Link isnt working, but I will take Frasers word for it. Note that if it touched his glove at all, it doesnt count even if it then hits his stick since he had a clear punching motion.

Link isnt working, but I will take Frasers word for it. Note that if it touched his glove at all, it doesnt count even if it then hits his stick since he had a clear punching motion.

The previous link works for me. This one should work.

That second goal should never have counted, and although Plekanics penalty was a very soft call, he still should know better, penalties are beginning to be a real problem with this team. I was a little miffed that Subban was not out for the overtime pp, especially when I saw Georges out there, but he did look rather lazy on that 2nd goal. I suppose that was his punishment. The two rooks had a few scoring chances this game, especially Galchenyuk, he could easily have had a goal or 2 with a bit of luck, and the shootout was a goal for sure if he didn't muff the shot. Not a bad game, but you could tell the whole team was rotted that they gave up the lead like that. A win in Florida will get them right back on track. Is it just me or are Cole and Desharnes totally useless out there right now? Come on guys, get your heads in the game!

Really Tampa scored two B.S. flukey goals

The 2nd goal shouldnt have even counted, and even Kerry Fraser says as much.

The 3rd goal is a point shot that hits 3 skates and goes in.

2 pure flukes and they tie the game.

We still win in a shootout and escape with our two points.

Flukey goals against like that? Not really repeatable... so I'm actually happy with 2 points on the road, and on to the next game.

All you really need to look is how his stick is positioned. He looks like he's gonna cross check something (in this case the puck). That means he moves his hands to "direct the puck"

If he's in normal position, his stick is on the ice.

But raising his hands up... thats directing it IMO.