2015/16 General IceCaps/Beast Discussion Thread

dlbalr

Oh, in case anyone listens to the local radio broadcast of IceCaps games online or through AHL.com, be forewarned that Brian Rogers can be a pain in the ass to listen to, at the best of times. He has a tendency to harp on the officiating to no end if the calls go against the team early.

He's been interesting so far, still a step up on what Hamilton had last year. I'm hoping I can find an online radio feed that doesn't crack up every minute or so, that was annoying throughout the preseason and the first two games.

IceCaps sign former Bulldog super goon Eric Neilson to a PTO. While the team could use a fighter, one that has some semblance of talent would have been nicer. He has a total of 17 points over parts of 8 AHL seasons.

In a corresponding move, Stefan Fournier has been sent to Brampton.

There are still teams in the AHL that carry that guy. Since he is on PTO, I think it is safe to say this a temporary safeguard until our young guys get their feet wet. I wouldn't expect him to be in lineup too often. As a side note--- I think I heard Nevins scored a goal the other night

The AHL went to a very limited inter-conference schedule a few years ago - I noticed it since St. John's rejoined the league - and the only teams outside the Eastern conference that were on the IceCaps schedule were Toronto and Hamilton, mainly because there are a lot of ex-pat Newfoundlanders in the area. It was almost like playing extra home games. Now that the IceCaps are playing in the North Division, they don't play outside the conference at all.

Oh, in case anyone listens to the local radio broadcast of IceCaps games online or through AHL.com, be forewarned that Brian Rogers can be a pain in the ass to listen to, at the best of times. He has a tendency to harp on the officiating to no end if the calls go against the team early.

Sounds like derek wills

Big Mcc on the PP last night centering Hudon and budd... Playing the 2nd PK but yesterday used at C with Dumont on the top PK over JDLR.

Interestingly we are 5 games into the season and already we are seeing Dumont and Hudon move over from centre to make room for mccarron at centre in key special team play.

Trevor Timmins on Eisenschmid:

“We thought about drafting him, but we just couldnt get to his name, but he became a target to invite (to camp on an amateur tryout),” said Timmins.

“We’re watching him closely. He has good size and range and he’s got good speed and he’s a smart hockey player. He’s here on an American Hockey League contract, but he might be a potential NHLer.”

http://www.thetelegram.com/Sports/IceCaps/2015-10-24/article-4320251/IceCaps-ready-to-tangle-with-Tigers/1

Didier was impressive for Brampton last night in a 5-4 OT loss to Adirondack. Josiah had one beauty goal and assisted on a shorty. Brampton came back from being down 4-2 but tied it up in the third. Their undoing was the lone referee calling a cross checking penalty on one of the the Brampton D men (Blain?) with half a second to go in the third!!!!!! Pasquale was busy-I believe the shots were 32-18 in favour of Adirondack but the shot clock was not working! First three goals on him all appeared to be screened. Trevor Cann was the back up

Didier was impressive for Brampton last night in a 5-4 OT loss to Adirondack. Josiah had one beauty goal and assisted on a shorty. Brampton came back from being down 4-2 but tied it up in the third. Their undoing was the lone referee calling a cross checking penalty on one of the the Brampton D men (Blain?) with half a second to go in the third!!!!!! Pasquale was busy-I believe the shots were 32-18 in favour of Adirondack but the shot clock was not working! First three goals on him all appeared to be screened. Trevor Cann was the back up

I think Miceli got a goal as well--- pretty small but damn he keeps producing-- I can see this guy lasting a few years Desharnais style.

they showed 3100 attendance but honestly might have been 2000 bodies (with the baseball on plus perhaps comps not used). Checked out the souvenirs but the jerseys being sold do not have the CH shoulder patches like the game worn version.

Atmosphere was good, more so than the Hamilton Bulldog OHL game I attended a week ago. Regardless of what a number of the OHL pundits say, a number of the AHL season ticket holders did not renew their seats and 2100 in an 8900 seat arena looks terrible. Also, Hamilton did not have up to date OHL souvenirs for sale but a bunch of leftover AHL stuff with the hologram authenticity stickers covered up by white labels

-re Brampton-anyone thinking of going-eat first-food is limited, slow service but Parking is free! (In Hamilton, many of the parking facilities have gone from $5.00 to $10.00 in two years)

Beast lost a home and home with Wheeling on the weekend. I mentioned to Moderator Brian earlier that I was surprised when Wheeling goalie Frankie Palazzese was not assigned to Brampton. Wheeling also still has two players who saw limited time with the Bulldogs last year-Bakker and Sahir Gill. Personally thought Gill would have been a good signing by Brampton considering the high east Indian population base

Beast lost a home and home with Wheeling on the weekend. I mentioned to Moderator Brian earlier that I was surprised when Wheeling goalie Frankie Palazzese was not assigned to Brampton.

Palazzese signed directly with Wheeling. He no longer has any ties to the Canadiens or any of their affiliates.

Didier and MacMillan were recalled so I'm guessing they were just sent down for conditioning more than anything.

An update on Ryan Johnston, he's out indefinitely after having discectomy surgery on a herniated disc. There doesn't seem to be a timetable for his return other than he's out for quite a while.

Who will they likely replace in lineup, when they do dress?

Didier's a righty so presumably it would be Lernout as I don't think they'll sit Ellis or Dietz. Or, they could throw one on their wrong side and take out Bennett. MacMillan could probably slide into Eisenschmid's spot (or Gregoire who doesn't seem to be playing a whole lot).