Distraction Thread - Next Year's Starting Lineup

zumpano21

6th highest scoring RW in hockey in the last three years.

Numbers went up (not down as most would expect) when Tavares was hurt.

yes I think he's an elite player.

i'm amazed there is even a debate about this honestly, Kyle Okposo is dynamite, the exact kind of player we need in our top 6, a RW with size he actually uses and produces upwards of 50 points in a relatively healthy season. people can come up with all the Tavares theories they want, does anyone ACTUALLY believe Kyle Okposo would not remain a very productive player playing top line minutes with Pacioretty and Galchenyuk?

That would literally become the biggest scoring line we have iced in god knows how long and looks every bit primed for regular season success as well as playoff success. Let the young offensive kids we got duke it out for the second line spot, spend the damn money on a guy like Okposo.

How are the Habs going to move those four without taking any salary back?

Panthers just moved Gudbranson without taking back any salary and got an excellent prospect out of it.

Surely Beregevin can move Emelin without taking back salary or move Eller or Plekanec who are very usefull players

Panthers just moved Gudbranson without taking back any salary and got an excellent prospect out of it.

Surely Beregevin can move Emelin without taking back salary or move Eller or Plekanec who are very usefull players

Well, McCann does make a salary ($894,167 + some bonuses) though he can be sent to the minors which would lower that. And Vancouver's GM is not too bright as has been established by his awful trade history thus far.

Moving one of those four players without taking money back can be doable (depending on who it is, of course). Moving all four without taking any money back, which is the idea that I was responding to, is pretty well impossible. If Bergevin, or any other GM, was able to clear over $17 million of payroll in an offseason where a bunch of teams will want to clear money, give them the GM of the Year award right then and there.

• 2 weeks later...

How I'm feeling today:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Okposo

Duclair - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Carr - Desharnais - Andrighetto

Byron - Danault - Mitchell

Flynn

Beaulieu - Subban

Markov - Petry

Barberio - Pateryn

Price

Ward/Reimer

Arizona is $18 million under the floor. Offer Eller, Emelin and a 2nd for Duclair. Add a prospect like Hudon or Reway going back if need be.

Grossman can be replaced by any veteran LD we can acquire who will mostly sit in the press box.

Ward would be cheap to acquire. I trust a veteran like him over Condon. Other possibility: Reimer can't find a starting job anywhere so Montreal offers him a premium to play backup here.

How I'm feeling today:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Okposo

Duclair - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Flynn

Beaulieu - Subban

Markov - Petry

Barberio - Pateryn

Price

Ward/Reimer

Arizona is $18 million under the floor. Offer Eller, Emelin and a 2nd for Duclair. Add a prospect like Hudon or Reway going back if need be.

Grossman can be replaced by any veteran LD we can acquire who will mostly sit in the press box.

Ward would be cheap to acquire. I trust a veteran like him over Condon. Other possibility: Reimer can't find a starting job anywhere so Montreal offers him a premium to play backup here.

So Arizona is going to take almost $8 million in salaries consisting of a 5th or 6th defenseman and an at best 3rd line centre and a 2nd round pick for a top 6 forward low cost Anthony Duclair?

Here's something we don't hear much about...the absence of Cup rings and Cup experience on the Habs.

When Gainey rebuilt the team via free agency in 2010, he put a premium on that. And while that team was no one's idea of a full-blown contender, I think there's probably something to be said for a GM adding a few rings to a roster that is, in principle, in its Cup window.

It would be a shame if we went deep into the playoffs only to lose because we had a few too many guys who need to 'adjust' to being in the Finals or whatever. You look at the contrast between Pittsburgh's sense of mission and San José's signs of confusion, and you realize how valuable the experience of having been there before can be.

Maybe Bergy should be looking for a role player or two who can talk to PK, Patches, etc., about what it takes to win it all, when the chips are down? Or is Muller supposed to be the all-purpose 'Cup guy?'

Here's something we don't hear much about...the absence of Cup rings and Cup experience on the Habs.

When Gainey rebuilt the team via free agency in 2010, he put a premium on that. And while that team was no one's idea of a full-blown contender, I think there's probably something to be said for a GM adding a few rings to a roster that is, in principle, in its Cup window.

It would be a shame if we went deep into the playoffs only to lose because we had a few too many guys who need to 'adjust' to being in the Finals or whatever. You look at the contrast between Pittsburgh's sense of mission and San José's signs of confusion, and you realize how valuable the experience of having been there before can be.

Maybe Bergy should be looking for a role player or two who can talk to PK, Patches, etc., about what it takes to win it all, when the chips are down? Or is Muller supposed to be the all-purpose 'Cup guy?'

Maybe a guy named Guy could handle that. Or if you remember a way back when we had some guy named Yvan Serge "The Roadrunner" Cournoyer Ya think that would work?

Waite, Bergevin, Ramage, JJD, Lapointe (has 2 rings), and maybe some others besides Muller have rings don't they?

(Assistant GM Mellanby played semi-finals or finals with 4 different franchises, but No ring...yet)

Just add on a old vet at trade deadline if a contender. Or maybe should go all-in for Ladd to add that experience, grit and leadership?

Waite, Bergevin, Ramage, JJD, Lapointe (has 2 rings), and maybe some others besides Muller have rings don't they?

(Assistant GM Mellanby played semi-finals or finals with 4 different franchises, but No ring...yet)

Just add on a old vet at trade deadline if a contender. Or maybe should go all-in for Ladd to add that experience, grit and leadership?

I don't know if Cup experience at the management/coaching level is enough. Those guys are bosses - they're not with you in the trenches, day after day, in hotels, on planes, on the road, etc., as trusted peers. I suspect it makes a difference.

I'm also not sure that just one guy is enough. You look at the '93 team, you had Carbo, Roy, Ramage, and probably one or two others whose names escape me, to supplement whatever 'organizational' wisdom existed. If I recall right, when we were down 0-2 to the No-diques in the first round, Carbo was the guy who addressed the room and got everyone back on track. Would his words have had the same effect if he didn't have a ring, already?

If I had my druthers, I'd be looking for a relatively affordable fourth-liner with a ring or two, whose career is nearing and end, but who can be trusted to play a regular enough shift. Go into the season with him, let him become an established veteran voice. Then add another, similar guy (maybe a #6 defenceman) at the deadline.

I don't know if Cup experience at the management/coaching level is enough. Those guys are bosses - they're not with you in the trenches, day after day, in hotels, on planes, on the road, etc., as trusted peers. I suspect it makes a difference.

I'm also not sure that just one guy is enough. You look at the '93 team, you had Carbo, Roy, Ramage, and probably one or two others whose names escape me, to supplement whatever 'organizational' wisdom existed. If I recall right, when we were down 0-2 to the No-diques in the first round, Carbo was the guy who addressed the room and got everyone back on track. Would his words have had the same effect if he didn't have a ring, already?

If I had my druthers, I'd be looking for a relatively affordable fourth-liner with a ring or two, whose career is nearing and end, but who can be trusted to play a regular enough shift. Go into the season with him, let him become an established veteran voice. Then add another, similar guy (maybe a #6 defenceman) at the deadline.

I think Markov, Plekanec also have played tons of championships, no rings but still veteran experience and Subban is just so good, outgoing and a cheerleader type for sure, like Gorges used to be, and a quiet captain who lets his play speak for him and future captain #11 . So I don't know if they do need a lot more leadership.

I see 9:00 left in 3rd and Pitt up one goal. Hope they can close it out today.

• 2 weeks later...

With the recent trades and potential guess work for FA signings, here's another stab at the lineup:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Okposo

Shaw - Plekanec - Gallagher

Flynn

Markov - Subban

Beaulieu - Petry

Barbeiro - Pateryn

Franson

Price

Condon

With the recent trades and potential guess work for FA signings, here's another stab at the lineup:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Okposo

Shaw - Plekanec - Gallagher

Flynn

Markov - Subban

Beaulieu - Petry

Barbeiro - Pateryn

Franson

Price

Condon

Seems decent. I'm not crazy about that third line. I'd prefer Lessio to Ghetto.

The acquisition of Shaw definitely goes a way to addressing the concern I expressed above about the lack of Cup experience. If I were Bergy, I'd look to add at least one more Ring-bearer at the deadline, of the Rob Ramage variety.

Guest Stogey24

Not one guy over 6ft tall besides the top line.

That's ok though, right guys. Because we're speedy and can all score goals.

#soft as butter.

Not one guy over 6ft tall besides the top line.

That's ok though, right guys. Because we're speedy and can all score goals.

#soft as butter.

Yeah, really. That 3rd line would get murdered...

Need Okposo first, then Ladd or Brouwer or someone with some thump in the top 6, Shaw on 3rd line, he has the ability for to move up to #2, lack of size in bottom of lineup is concerning, Lessio may just get a spot who knows?

Man, keep hesring how every team is in on Lucic and Okposo, it's gonna be hard for MTL to snag one IMO. I have a feeling MB will go after Brouwer and/or Perron instead. If so:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Radulov

Carr - Plekanec - Gallagher

Shaw - Desharnais - Andrighetto

Danault - Mitchell - Byron

Flynn, Matteau

Beaulieu - Weber

Markov - Petry

Emelin - Pateryn

Barbeiro

Price

Montoya

Pacioretty Galchenyuk Gallagher

Hudler Plekanec Radulov

Carr Shaw Andrighetto

Byron Danault Mitchell

Flynn Matteau

Beaulieu Weber

Markov Petry

Barberio Pateryn

Redmond

Price

Montoya

Emelin Desharnais out.

Hudler in.

Trade something for Yakupov and see if he can fill out the top 6 on the cheap.

Radulov & Gallagher would obviously play ahead of him on RW.

On LW is Pacioretty, is he any better than Carr or Lehkonen? Hudon, delaRose may also be pushing for a spot, so basically 2nd line LW is only spot he might squeeze in.

With Shaw and Raddy at RW.. Any chance you move Gally for a LW?

Just spit-balling, not suggesting it'd be a good idea.. but if Landeskog is available, i'd love to add him.

Possibly add Yak for depth at RW afterwards.

A second strong LW behind Pacs would be incredible

Guest Stogey24

I was saying Yak on LW.

I'm still not too sure about this line up man.. Hoping another couple trades happen

I was saying Yak on LW.

I'm still not too sure about this line up man..

Yea, looking at the lineup we have improved but there's still a lot of work to do. For me I think you want a middle 6 LW that can at least start the season at 2nd line LW, a tough to play against 3rd C to replace Desharnais, and a mobile PMD to replace Emelin. I doubt they fill all 3 of those but if they can at least do 1 more before the season it would be a plus. The rest you can maybe fix in season either by a young kid stepping up (Hudon/Lehkonen) or trade deadline with our 5x 2nd round picks in next 2 drafts.