UFA/RFA Habs: Who do you want back?

Trizzak

• 2 weeks later...

Signings seem great. The Problem is that MB has so far concentrated on signing only depth players or cheap gambles. If this is all we are going to see more of the same, I won't be a happy camper.

Signings seem great. The Problem is that MB has so far concentrated on signing only depth players or cheap gambles. If this is all we are going to see more of the same, I won't be a happy camper.

What else is he going to do in mid-June? The big free agents aren't available for three more weeks and they only have depth guys to re-sign.

I'd like to see some moves made at or before the draft. I said I liked the signings, but just don't want a repeat of last summer again.

What else is he going to do in mid-June? The big free agents aren't available for three more weeks and they only have depth guys to re-sign.

I'd like to see some moves made at or before the draft. I said I liked the signings, but just don't want a repeat of last summer again.

Last year he did add a top 4 d-man, who many said was as needed as much as a top six forward was.

But this year he dosent need a d-man, so obviously can focus on just adding a forward and don't really need another centre, so can look simply for a winger. Okposo seems like a prime target.

Barely worth mentioning, but Gabriel Dumont has confirmed he will be testing free agency. That doesn't rule out a return to the Ice Caps, but if he sees a better possible shot at an NHL spot, he's taking it.

Cant blame him, even in a crap season with lots of call ups he didn't get one, even though I think he got a NHL bonus and would of cost Habs nothing more.

I think most AHL teams would like to have him and likely overseas he could make more $$.

Barely worth mentioning, but Gabriel Dumont has confirmed he will be testing free agency. That doesn't rule out a return to the Ice Caps, but if he sees a better possible shot at an NHL spot, he's taking it.

I suspect he's done with the Habs/IceCaps unfortunately. Just about any other team would give him a better shot at an NHL spot; if they didn't bother recalling him when they could have (and quite frankly should have) brought him up late last year, they're not going to this season either.

Guys its June 13th, free agency starts July 1st, lets panic that Bergevin isn't going to make big moves

To this point it's tough to complain about what Bergevin has done in this current offseason. Honestly I don't think the team needs to do anything *drastic. After cooling down after that disaster of a season looking at the roster it's really not that bad. We now have a legit top line, our defense is decent, we still have a great goalie, and we have plenty of players to build a quality bottom 6 from. The main issue to me is the 2nd line we need 2 wingers If he can pull that off we'll be back in the playoffs.

There should be no excuses this year the free agency market is pretty good, we are in good draft position, and we have enough cap space/maneuverability to make things happen. Really the main issue last year was all the injuries, the way the coaching staff handled the roster post injuries, and the power play. I think Muller along with some decent signings should improve those areas.

*just a fyi my version of drastic is trading away a core player namely pacioretty, gallagher, galchenyuk, subban, and price.

If this club doesn't add a 25 goal/60 points forward to the top six either by draft or free agency or trade or internal development this season is pointless to watch.

I'd honestly be shocked if he didn't add at least one legit top 6 forward or two 2nd line wingers. Just stay away from his typical bargain bin 1-2 year players and players teams are desperate to get rid of for the wrong reasons. It seems to be a good free agency class, good draft class, and there are some decent trade names out there. In their own words "No excuses" this year.

Trust me, Bergevin will be doing work this offseason. His career hangs in the balance.

It does and it doesn't. He has, what, six years left on his contract? As much as people are expecting him to make a lot of moves, I highly doubt he's of the mindset that this next few weeks potentially could make or break his job.

It does and it doesn't. He has, what, six years left on his contract? As much as people are expecting him to make a lot of moves, I highly doubt he's of the mindset that this next few weeks potentially could make or break his job.

Yea, Bergevin's immediate future doesn't depend on this offseason. However if his moves, or lack thereof, precede another terrible season, the finger will definitely start pointing in his direction.

I think he has a while yet, and despite how last season unfolded I still have faith MB will fix several problems with UFA signings or trades.

Guest Stogey24

If Therrien is coming back in 2016/2017 then Bergevin isn't even on the radar in terms of firing or career hanging in the balance.

How do you figure that? This team put up the worst record from December on and our g.m didn't do one thing about it. I do think Molson gave him a bit of a pass due to injures, but if this season shadows anything like last, Bergevin will get canned.

How do you figure that? This team put up the worst record from December on and our g.m didn't do one thing about it. I do think Molson gave him a bit of a pass due to injures, but if this season shadows anything like last, Bergevin will get canned.

Quite honestly money.

He's got 5+ years on his extension. Molsons won't pay him 4 or 5 years to sit home.

Some other reasons are....

Injuries, especially to Price.

He's done nothing remotely worth firing him for...ie horrendous contracts or gotten fleeced in any trades.

They'd have to miss the playoffs the next 2 years for Molson to consider firing him.

Guest Stogey24

I'm too hung over to get involved in an argument, but I personally think Bergevin will be cut loose if this team fails to make it to the dance this year, contract or not.

There's a very small window of opportunity for this team to win a cup, with the contracts they have in place.

If he can't add scoring depth to this already stellar line up, why is he running the show? Like even adding one more guy who can put up 20/20 would probably be enough.

I agree that if the Habs miss the playoffs again, Bergevin should be fired. Whether he will be is another question.

I don't really understand how this seems like a realistic scenario, however. If Price is healthy, even with our current roster, the question should be not whether we can make the playoffs, but how far in the playoffs we can go.

The real issue is whether Bergevin can make us contenders. THAT is his job, and that's what the next eight months will determine, fairly decisively, I'd say. You can NOT rely on a single year as contender; you have to build a team that can contend over a number of seasons in order to maximize your odds. We've wasted one year in our Cup window and can waste no more.

I agree that if the Habs miss the playoffs again, Bergevin should be fired. Whether he will be is another question.

I don't really understand how this seems like a realistic scenario, however. If Price is healthy, even with our current roster, the question should be not whether we can make the playoffs, but how far in the playoffs we can go.

The real issue is whether Bergevin can make us contenders. THAT is his job, and that's what the next eight months will determine, fairly decisively, I'd say. You can NOT rely on a single year as contender; you have to build a team that can contend over a number of seasons in order to maximize your odds. We've wasted one year in our Cup window and can waste no more.

Wasted eh, which of course was due to poor management. :tumbleweed:

Cup window? Don't you need some all-star scoring forwards to even be a real contender?

Naw, he still has his "Fire the coach" card that he didn't play last season.

Naw, he still has his "Fire the coach" card that he didn't play last season.

That's what Gauthier thought. He thought the season would be blamed on coaching and all of the controversy about Randy. Both got canned.

Bergevin can't claim Price for a second year. If Carey goes down again and the best Bergevin can do is acquire a guy on his way out of the NHL again there will be no quarter.