Mikhail Sergachev 9th Overall

Commandant

Knew I had the positions butchered haha. Juulsen/Sergachev definitely gives us some NHL talent in the pool though

Yeah if they develop then Montreal should have some cheap defense over the next 5 years.

I'm not gonna complain about the others... but you give Draft Buzz a shoutout and not LWOS... oh man... DraftBuzz is terrible.

Respect for the rest of those, I'm not in their league.

But Draft Buzz? Oh man, that guy?

One of our writers bought their draft guide and I was basically just pulling quotes off of what I had in front of me to work with. I'll circle back and add something in from your site.

• Upvote 1

I was initially disappointed that we missed out on the two top 6 talents that went just ahead of us, but the descriptions of Sergachev are so adulatory that I'm excited about him. Timmins seems to have taken the top talent available (a strategy I almost always support), it just remains to be seen to what extent he will pan out. Sounds like a smart powerful great skater.

Still would have been nice if we tanked a bit better in the last week of the season.

One of our writers bought their draft guide and I was basically just pulling quotes off of what I had in front of me to work with. I'll circle back and add something in from your site.

Lol, thanks. I was saying it tongue in cheek.. I haven't seen this year's draft buzz, but last year I thought it was crap.

One more fact on Sergachev though.

"The following players have won the Max Kaminsky trophy (as the league's top defenseman) in their (original) draft year since 1990: Aaron Ekblad, Ryan Ellis, Drew Doughty, Bryan Berard, and Chris Pronger." And this year Mikhail Sergachev.

Some good company right there

Sergachev also is the youngest player ever to win the trophy. He was a later birthday than all of those guys.

Great pick it seems, I assume he will be a lock to head back to OHL for one more year; as Windsor is hosting Memorial cup and Sergachev I assume will be a lock for Russian world junior team.

Glad Habs were not as big on Brown as Ottawa was, Aves got a good one at 10 :blush: .

Great pick it seems, I assume he will be a lock to head back to OHL for one more year; as Windsor is hosting Memorial cup and Sergachev I assume will be a lock for Russian world junior team.

Glad Habs were not as big on Brown as Ottawa was, Aves got a good one at 10 :blush: .

Sportsnet is trying to push the narrative he could be an 18 year old in the NHL. He just turned 18 and was drafted at 17. As someone who watched Sergachev, it would be a waste of him to have him play this year. He still makes some basic mistakes and isn't always motivated on the blueline. Let him dominate in Windsor for another year and maybe come to St. John's after that. I can certainly see him at 20/21 on the team, but 18 is far too early.

Windsor may not be sold that Sergachev is back next year as they just traded for an import player yesterday. It sounds like they still plan to use their first round CHL Import Draft pick as well and you can only carry two imports on a team. There's the ability for them to carry 3 at the start since Sergachev is a 1st rounder but it seems to me they're at least hedging against the possibility the Habs keep him up.

(For what it's worth, I wouldn't entertain the thought of Sergachev playing in the NHL next year but that's just me.)

So most likely he heads to another OHL team I assume?

I can't see them trading him if he's available to play for them. The Spits should be in a win now mode as they are hosting the Memorial cup this year. They had 3 drafted in the first round this year (Stanley and Brown) so should be a decent team. I'll have to head to a few games this year if I get a chance.

As an import player can he play AHL, or is 18 just too young?

He can't go to the AHL. Had he been drafted out of Russia he could have but since he's a CHL pick, standard junior rules apply.

Windsor may not be sold that Sergachev is back next year as they just traded for an import player yesterday. It sounds like they still plan to use their first round CHL Import Draft pick as well and you can only carry two imports on a team. There's the ability for them to carry 3 at the start since Sergachev is a 1st rounder but it seems to me they're at least hedging against the possibility the Habs keep him up.

(For what it's worth, I wouldn't entertain the thought of Sergachev playing in the NHL next year but that's just me.)

There's a lot of hype from Scotty Bowman to others that Sergachev is NHL ready today. I disagree with that but it's enough for Windsor to be careful.

First off, obviously i'm thrilled with the pick, I was hoping for Keller or Sergachev based on what was available by the 9th pick. Living in Windsor and having watched him first hand about 4 or 5 times this year live, and countless times on TV, we have ourselves a Markov 2.0. I say that because he holds every quality on the ice that Markov does when it comes to vision, execution and control of the 5 on 5 game, but on top of all that, he is physically strong, punishing and nasty. he also has a cannon of a shot from the point making him a multiple threat on any PP, he can setup and he can blast that thing in the net.

I confidently believe he will be a huge factor for us at the blueline for years to come. Having said that, I don't believe he is ready for the NHL just yet, But would not be surprised if he doesn't make it to the AHL or is up before his first season is over there.

Prioritizing blueliners as I do, when I hear report after report saying this kid projects to be a #1 defenceman, well, that says 'home run' to me. Still a long way to go before projection becomes reality, but it's fun to imagine a D corps in 2-3 years with a 30ish Subban, a matured Beaulieu as a dashing puck-mover, and this guy coming in as an emerging force.

Prioritizing blueliners as I do, when I hear report after report saying this kid projects to be a #1 defenceman, well, that says 'home run' to me. Still a long way to go before projection becomes reality, but it's fun to imagine a D corps in 2-3 years with a 30ish Subban, a matured Beaulieu as a dashing puck-mover, and this guy coming in as an emerging force.

Basically we're back to where we were in the early 2000s with all of these young bluechip D. When we had Beauchemin, Komisarek, Markov, Hainsey, etc. Now we got Beaulieu, Juulsen, and Sergachev to go with Subban. We could potentially have what Nashville has.

As an import player can he play AHL, or is 18 just too young?

It depends on last year

Did his Russian team loan him to the OHL? If yes, he can play in AHL; if no he has to stay in OHL.

Thing is most Russian teams don't do loans, they do sales... so its unlikely he's AHL eligible. He was likely drafted as windsor property instead of drafted as owned by a russian team but leased to windsor.

If he was a finn or a swede it would likely be possible. They do more leases.

• Upvote 2

Everyone listen to this interview?

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/friday-scrum-nhl-draft-edition-1.515048

The guys got a sense of humour, and plenty of confidence. Thinks he can play next year given the chance. I already liked sergachev but that interview made me a full on fan of the guy

Everyone listen to this interview?

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/montreal-690/friday-scrum-nhl-draft-edition-1.515048

The guys got a sense of humour, and plenty of confidence. Thinks he can play next year given the chance. I already liked sergachev but that interview made me a full on fan of the guy

Yes he supposedly is like Scherbak, a very personable fellow and the only thing negative I have heard is that his defense is a work in progress and why he likely will play another year in OHL.

Yes he supposedly is like Scherbak, a very personable fellow and the only thing negative I have heard is that his defense is a work in progress and why he likely will play another year in OHL.

He's prone to not caring about a game and playing with no intensity. It isn't like an every other game thing but it happens. Didn't have a very strong playoffs but the Spitfires as a team sucked.

He's prone to not caring about a game and playing with no intensity. It isn't like an every other game thing but it happens. Didn't have a very strong playoffs but the Spitfires as a team sucked.

Interesting. Hopefully it's a maturity thing; I fully expect him not to make the habs this season but hey, I hope he proves me wrong. And stats wise at least he still produced with 5 points in 5 games.

Interesting. Hopefully it's a maturity thing; I fully expect him not to make the habs this season but hey, I hope he proves me wrong. And stats wise at least he still produced with 5 points in 5 games.

More than likely it is. I wanted Sergachev prior to the draft but worried he'd go top five. Turns out he was going to be picked by Edmonton but then columbus took Dubois so they jumped on Puju. I'm confident Sergachev will become the best defenceman of his draft.

Yeah,, Juolevi is all about floor. He is almost a sure thing to be a good NHLer. The question is if he can be a great NHLer.

Sergachev is a little riskier, but the upside is more.

Bean has the offensive upside like Sergachev, but not as big, not as physical

Chychrun is kinda inbetween Juolevi and Sergachev. Safer than Sergachev, not as safe as Juolevi. More offense than Juolevi, not as much as Sergachev.